Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

US Air Marshal Left Loaded Gun in Airplane Bathroom on TATL DL Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Air Marshal Left Loaded Gun in Airplane Bathroom on TATL DL Flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes, this. In an era where looking at a flight crew member the wrong way can find you in handcuffs picking up a handgun in the bathroom and walking it down the aisle concealed or otherwise is just ASKING for trouble.
"I SWEAR I FOUND IT IN THE LAV!!!" you can yell as you're being tackled and pummeled by 6 other pax.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I agree with most on the "what would I do issue".

Exit the lav., close the door and then call the FAs.

There is no way I would touch the gun.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At 39000 feet I'm pretty sure the last person I want discharging a weapon is the one who can't remember leaving it in the lav. Actually at 39000 feet I didn't really want anyone discharging a weapon.
Btw, what if the next person in WAS a terrorist?
Wouldn't even have to leave the lav to make some really bad things happen to that plane.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles
Originally Posted by PayItForward
This is like a surgeon leaving a scalpel in the patient's body.
Some mistakes unfortunately cannot be ignored.
Not saying that the air marshal should go to prison or anything but it should have prevent the air marshal from continuing with this career path.
Apparently, this incident is fine and the staff is cleared to carry on with normal duties (aka fly with loaded weapon) just days after the incident?
WoW......And She Still was still assigned to another flight... Crazy..
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
Before 2001, the expectation among passengers was that hijackers just wanted to go to cuba or collect their ransom or whatever, if you just sat down you would eventually be OK.

After 9/11, that expectation evaporated. Hijackers will not face a group of compliant passengers ever again.
So your opinion is that we don't need FAMs because pax will protect themselves? This argument falls completely flat for me. If someone had been armed on the flights on 9/11, there is a real possibility that box cutters would not have lead to the largest attack on the American homeland since Pearl Harbor.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:03 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Not only do we not need FAMs, the money spent on that program could be used to actually improve security in other areas.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:04 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
So your opinion is that we don't need FAMs because pax will protect themselves? This argument falls completely flat for me. If someone had been armed on the flights on 9/11, there is a real possibility that box cutters would not have lead to the largest attack on the American homeland since Pearl Harbor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_93
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:08 pm

So girls have to take their gun off to go to the bathroom?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by rickg523
Btw, what if the next person in WAS a terrorist?
Wouldn't even have to leave the lav to make some really bad things happen to that plane.
Please. Terrorism is not a crime of opportunity.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: star alliance
Until 9/11, the notion that highjackers would engage in suicide missions was relatively unthinkable. The general mentality was to sit tight and in all likelihood, you would survive.

After 9/11, people are keenly aware that a highjacking could be much worse than a detour to Havana and it is not far-fetched to say that passenger have a huge incentive to "handle the problem." There have already been cases (Richard Reid comes to mind) and one could argue passengers on flight 93 were the first to realize the new paradigm and made an attempt to stop the terrorists.

So yes, maybe if there had been a marshal, they could have prevented one or more of the attacks. However, you have to acknowledge that, armed with the knowledge that there is a real possibility of a suicide mission, the passengers could have also changed the outcome.

I am not suggesting that multiple unarmed passengers would be more or less effective than a single armed marshal, I do not know. However, I think it's disingenuous to point to 9/11 and suggest that the outcome would have been different, without considering the mindset of the passengers.

I would love to see decisions based on the concrete numbers. How many times marshals have engaged in a threat situation? How many times passengers have? How often a weapon had to be drawn etc. instead of knee-jerk reactions to anecdotal evidence.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by dixon
Until 9/11, the notion that highjackers would engage in suicide missions was relatively unthinkable. The general mentality was to sit tight and in all likelihood, you would survive.

After 9/11, people are keenly aware that a highjacking could be much worse than a detour to Havana and it is not far-fetched to say that passenger have a huge incentive to "handle the problem." There have already been cases (Richard Reid comes to mind) and one could argue passengers on flight 93 were the first to realize the new paradigm and made an attempt to stop the terrorists.

So yes, maybe if there had been a marshal, they could have prevented one or more of the attacks. However, you have to acknowledge that, armed with the knowledge that there is a real possibility of a suicide mission, the passengers could have also changed the outcome.

I am not suggesting that multiple unarmed passengers would be more or less effective than a single armed marshal, I do not know. However, I think it's disingenuous to point to 9/11 and suggest that the outcome would have been different, without considering the mindset of the passengers.

I would love to see decisions based on the concrete numbers. How many times marshals have engaged in a threat situation? How many times passengers have? How often a weapon had to be drawn etc. instead of knee-jerk reactions to anecdotal evidence.
Totally fair points. I still would want to see real concrete evidence that I would be safer or at least just as safe without the FAM program before dumping it to save money.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:59 pm
pvn
Suspended

Totally fair points. I still would want to see real concrete evidence that I would be safer or at least just as safe without the FAM program before dumping it to save money.
Shouldn't we see evidence that it actually has an effect before authorizing the money be spent on it in the first place?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
Please. Terrorism is not a crime of opportunity.
Thanks for letting us know that. Though I dispute it. True believer, in the right mood, given such an opportunity...you say no problem.
'kay.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pvn
Shouldn't we see evidence that it actually has an effect before authorizing the money be spent on it in the first place?
Bear Patrol.

Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
In theory, sure. However, in practice what you are asking for is very complicated. One can't really test this situation in any practical & ethical way. We won't know for certain that it "works" until a FAM stops someone from doing something awful. We also don't know is how much of a deterrent it currently is because how would you measure that?

We do know that, in other situations (not an airplane), armed authorities are able to make a difference when they show up.

I remain wholly unconvinced by these counter arguments, and if given the choice, I'd prefer to fly on a flight with a FAM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.