Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MEM Airport Improvements. Delta Returns To Concourse A.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEM Airport Improvements. Delta Returns To Concourse A.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
I have a feeling this will be the end of the MEM skyclub...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by haddon90
the UA comments are funny. first, no way they downsize IAD with the government traffic they have there. UA owns IAD. second, UA already has a fortress airport in IAH. why would they build MEM into a hub?

MEM is now an O&D market. IAH, DFW, and ATL have the SE covered.
Don't forget CLT, which is now AA's second largest hub.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by teCh0010
I have a feeling this will be the end of the MEM skyclub...
I hope not, but it sure seems that way. I doubt they will leave the B security checkpoint open if there are no flights going out of B. Closing that off means there is no need for the walkway between B and C, which is where the Sky Club is located.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kop84
I agree with you. It seems that people think that the big 3 should be able to have a large presence everywhere in the country. But to defend everything is to defend nothing.

DL is bad in TX
AA is bad in the Pacific Northwest
UA is bad in the SE.

WN is the best at covering the lower 48, but their horrible if you need to go to most second, and nearly all third tier cities or TPAC, TATL, or S. America or Canada or a non beach MX destination. And they can't get you to AK or HI.

No one carrier can have it all. IF they could, someone would have tried it by now!
It also makes no sense to compete everywhere in a de facto oligopoly. It makes much more sense for there to be an unwritten "deal" (in quotes because of course any true formal or informal "deal" would be collusion) to leave hub fortresses (and other certain areas like the ones you list) alone and compete elsewhere. The alternative is self-destructive and self-inflicted fare wars that help no one.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:39 pm

It depends on if they are going to remodle the ticket lobby or just the concourse. If they are just doing the concourse they could wall it off and keep B checkpoint as the only open checkpoint. The other two are closed, right?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I read somewhere that a long time ago Delta had a Crown Room at MEM but I never could figure out where it would have been located.
There was. I'm in my early 50's and we'd visit it when we flew out when I was a kid so that my granddad could get a Chivas and water. They knew him by name, which I thought was pretty cool. If I remember right, it was upstairs somewhere above the ticket counters. I think there was an observation deck up there too.

Pretty sure there was an Admiral's Club too.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:16 pm

It depends on if they are going to remodle the ticket lobby or just the concourse. If they are just doing the concourse they could wall it off and keep B checkpoint as the only open checkpoint. The other two are closed, right?
The checkpoint at C is still open.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I agree with you. It seems that people think that the big 3 should be able to have a large presence everywhere in the country. But to defend everything is to defend nothing.

DL is bad in TX
AA is bad in the Pacific Northwest
UA is bad in the SE.

WN is the best at covering the lower 48, but their horrible if you need to go to most second, and nearly all third tier cities or TPAC, TATL, or S. America or Canada or a non beach MX destination. And they can't get you to AK or HI.

No one carrier can have it all. IF they could, someone would have tried it by now!
I wouldn't say that WN is the best in covering the lower 48 when they have no service to Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Mississippi, Delaware, and Vermont. They only fly to 41 states. All three legacies do better than that.

Plus, they only fly to one city in Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, Arkansas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Alabama Georgia, Maryland, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Maine. The legacies do a much better job covering a lot of those states.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
The checkpoint at C is still open.
Ah, I never go that way. I fly DL everywhere but Texas and take southwest out of A for Texas.

Looks like in the new config DL gates will all be at the far end of B (where they mostly are now), so as far as possible from the current skyclub location.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I wouldn't say that WN is the best in covering the lower 48 when they have no service to Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Mississippi, Delaware, and Vermont. They only fly to 41 states. All three legacies do better than that.

Plus, they only fly to one city in Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, Arkansas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Alabama Georgia, Maryland, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Maine. The legacies do a much better job covering a lot of those states.
I suppose you're right, I was grading WN on too much of a curve.

When we say that DL is bad in TX, it mostly means you have to connect, or you can only fly East in some cases. A little surprising that ELP doesn't have at least x1 daily SLC service...maybe when the new airport is built.

Same with AA in the PNW. Not great there mostly because hubs are out of the way to a lot of regional cities. But their AS partnership covers a lot of that

UA isn't great in the SE but that's mostly for travel to/from smaller cities or connecting inside the SE itself as IAH/IAD/ORD are too far out of the way.

But the broader point is that one one's perfect, and I really doubt the "unofficial" oligarchy line as someone else said. There isn't a single region in the country that one airline dominates. There are a few region where not every airline has a big presence. AK is the only area I'd say is truly dominated by one carrier...and it's not one of the big 4!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:56 pm

Ah, I never go that way. I fly DL everywhere but Texas and take southwest out of A for Texas.

Looks like in the new config DL gates will all be at the far end of B (where they mostly are now), so as far as possible from the current skyclub location.
I haven't been through the C checkpoint in years. And the last time I did it was only because there was a huge line at B -- so long that it made sense to try another option. Every single flight I take seems to leave out of B22 or 24. I hate that long walk past all the closed stores.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I haven't been through the C checkpoint in years. And the last time I did it was only because there was a huge line at B -- so long that it made sense to try another option. Every single flight I take seems to leave out of B22 or 24. I hate that long walk past all the closed stores.
Yeah I'm not sure why Delta parks all the way at the end of the B gates since they have some much closer.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I suppose you're right, I was grading WN on too much of a curve.

When we say that DL is bad in TX, it mostly means you have to connect, or you can only fly East in some cases. A little surprising that ELP doesn't have at least x1 daily SLC service...maybe when the new airport is built.

Same with AA in the PNW. Not great there mostly because hubs are out of the way to a lot of regional cities. But their AS partnership covers a lot of that

UA isn't great in the SE but that's mostly for travel to/from smaller cities or connecting inside the SE itself as IAH/IAD/ORD are too far out of the way.

But the broader point is that one one's perfect, and I really doubt the "unofficial" oligarchy line as someone else said. There isn't a single region in the country that one airline dominates. There are a few region where not every airline has a big presence. AK is the only area I'd say is truly dominated by one carrier...and it's not one of the big 4!
I agreed with the rest of your points though. Since I never to to Texas, DL's weakness there has no affect on me. Did NW serve small Texas cities from their old MEM hub though?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I lived in Memphis up until graduating from high school in 2007 and always used Delta. Back then Delta used gates A25, A27, and A29. The ATL flights used A25 and A27 while CVG always used A29. It was really nice clearing security and having the gates be just a few feet away. I read somewhere that a long time ago Delta had a Crown Room at MEM but I never could figure out where it would have been located.
MEM had a CRC until after 9/11.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...wscolumn5.html

And even after that and other closings the same day, Delta had 44 Crown Room Clubs. Those were the days.

David
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:54 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I hope not, but it sure seems that way. I doubt they will leave the B security checkpoint open if there are no flights going out of B. Closing that off means there is no need for the walkway between B and C, which is where the Sky Club is located.
I would imagine the B security point will stay open since all of the ticketing desks are moving into B.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.