Wiki Posts
Search

Did I get screwed out of upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Oh yeah, I completely agree with this. I just thought (and clearly incorrectly) that they moved just random people from Y into delta one.
For international flights, only if it's an oversold situation in Y. In the case of an oversell, it's called an operational upgrade (OpUp) - priority would be given to Diamonds over yourself and other PMs or lower elites.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: DL DM
and op ups are rare. Buy what you'd like.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Delta is a business, not "Let's Make A Deal"

Ludicrous.
"let's make a deal" is exactly how most businesses work

I question the wisdom of an airline turning down $700 for an 8 hour flight when the incremental expense would be minimal.

And a lot of airlines like Air Canada offer upgrades at online checkin in the hopes of making a quick buck by trying to make sure the e J cabin does not leave with an empty seat - so this sort of thinking is not unusual at all with other airlines. 4 or 5 years ago, Air Canada sold upgrades for $999 from YVR to SYD at online check-in.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
"let's make a deal" is exactly how most businesses work

I question the wisdom of an airline turning down $700 for an 8 hour flight when the incremental expense would be minimal.

And a lot of airlines like Air Canada offer upgrades at online checkin in the hopes of making a quick buck by trying to make sure the e J cabin does not leave with an empty seat - so this sort of thinking is not unusual at all with other airlines. 4 or 5 years ago, Air Canada sold upgrades for $999 from YVR to SYD at online check-in.
DL does too, it's just random, more likely if flight is overbooked in Y. Otherwise everyone would wait and take an OLCI offer instead of paying the regular price.

Finally with US business they normally don't play "let's make a deal" with end consumers. Suppliers, yes, consumers generally no.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by WidgetTravels
Sounds like non revenue passengers cleared into Delta One.
Ding, ding, ding.....correct answer.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:10 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I got the last seat when I offered $701.

Nuff said.

Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM

Ludicrous.
You mean dressing up in a funny costume and holding a big sign won't improve my upgrade chances?

Damn, back to the drawing board...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Employees.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Flight 68 - one hour ago per Delta Lounge attendaant there were ten delta one seats left. App showing THIRTEEN people were upgraded to delta one - i asked the gate agent who seemed like decent guy and he assured me no one got upgraded and that the app is wrong. Can anyone look into this for my peace of mind. I am PM and offered lounge attendant US$700 for upgrade. There were twenty on standby and now standby is 0
Just how did you "offer" a lounge dragon $700 to upgrade from coach (or C+???) to D1 on ATL-FCO? If you gave cash, that money is gone. Or could you mean that the app offered you a $700 upgrade but it somehow didn't go through?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:12 am

Everyone cleared into J was a nonrev. A couple of buddy passes cleared into regular Y and a couple of FO's got C+

The day of it and sometimes the next day I can still see the ASBL
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by C W
Delta does not offer day of departure upgrades except sometimes at OLCI, and you certainly cannot name your price at the Sky Club.
I have seen them offer a chance to buy international upgrades at the gate if you were in certain fare classes. However we're talking the day after there was a four hour ground stop in ATL due to thunderstorms and they were trying to unwind that particular large scale operational mess.

So it literally does involve someone or something being struck by lightning but does exist in rare cases.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:28 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davetravels
I got the last seat when I offered $701.

Nuff said.

Aww man, I got a zonk!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just how did you "offer" a lounge dragon $700 to upgrade from coach (or C+???) to D1 on ATL-FCO? If you gave cash, that money is gone. Or could you mean that the app offered you a $700 upgrade but it somehow didn't go through?
IIRC there is only one or two DL agents at the NRT lounge, those who check you in don't have DL system/rebooking access.

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I have seen them offer a chance to buy international upgrades at the gate if you were in certain fare classes. However we're talking the day after there was a four hour ground stop in ATL due to thunderstorms and they were trying to unwind that particular large scale operational mess.

So it literally does involve someone or something being struck by lightning but does exist in rare cases.
The additional confusion is that a DL handled AF flight will offer DOD upgrades at the gate to either PE or J per the AF DOD upgrade process. The DL flight, perhaps at the next gate, wont.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:10 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats
Everyone cleared into J was a nonrev. A couple of buddy passes cleared into regular Y and a couple of FO's got C+

The day of it and sometimes the next day I can still see the ASBL
And it's settled.

OP, as we said, non-revs were cleared into J. No lower Medallions mysteriously leapfrogged you for op-ups that didn't exist.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I told her, "Hey, I will give you my credit card and you can swipe it for $700 in exchange for upgrade" - she said "no, the upgrade will be $6899" - and I went on my way.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:43 pm

I told her, "Hey, I will give you my credit card and you can swipe it for $700 in exchange for upgrade" - she said "no, the upgrade will be $6899" - and I went on my way.
Reminds me of Pawn Stars. You would've had her if you met her at $750

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.