Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

final domestic leg of TATL canx, wife about to be stranded at JFK - options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: rapidly diminishing

Folks,

Mrs Sofasurfer is currently on DL 1019/AF10, en route to JFK.

DL4109 JFK-BUF is now cancelled. Logged in to her DL account and it looks like they've issued her a new PNR (although showing as CDG-BUF; weird as she's already flown the first segment!) but I assume they've rebooked her for tomorrow. Can't view any details for the new PNR, though - so can't see which flight they've got her on.

A couple of questions:

1. Are DL likely to provide overnight accom in cases like this? (she's travelling in Y, no DL status - was silver about 3 years ago, but nothing right now)
If not, maybe I should try and get her something booked using our hotel points...

2. Is there any scope for her to get rebooked with another carrier? And/or even to a possible final destination (i.e. YYZ would work just as well as BUF; we managed to do this with UA a couple of years ago, but I have no idea what is feasible with DL...)

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by sofasurfer; Apr 6, 2017 at 2:40 pm Reason: mistyped flight #s first time around
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
DL will not provide a hotel in this case as this is likely weather related.

She can ask for rebooking options outside BUF, but DL is more apt to do this when it's a co-terminal location (ie. BWI instead of DCA) and I doubt YYZ/BUF are the same like that
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
At first glance, it appears weather is causing major issues in NY area.

Assuming the reason for the cancellation is weather-related, then DL is under no obligation to provide a hotel If I were you, I'd be proactive and book something now. I would be afraid rooms would become more and more scarce as more passengers discover they are stuck as well.

It appears tonight's flights to YYZ are also cancelled. DL probably could have re-routed there had the flights been running.

As far another carrier, my guess is no. Checking schedules, your only other option appears to be JetBlue if they don't cancel their flights as well. She could always ask when she lands, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for confirming re. hotel. Just been looking at hotel availability and it's not looking good at all :-/

I just logged in to her DL account and saw they'd issued her a new PNR for CDG-DTW-BUF, departing *tomorrow*... but she's already on AF10 right now (full itin is GVA-CDG-BUF, DL ticketed and all flights DL numbered, but the first two are AF codeshares... just realized I'd mistyped my OP, now corrected).

The PNR she is currently travelling on now only shows GVA-CDG-JFK... so I'm a little concerned about her having a non-existent segment to get home
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
It's weather related. Our local news here in NYC is reporting major delays and ground stops at all the area airports. I'd book whatever hotel you can find for her asap.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Ibetting that AF systems saw the cancelled flight and protected her with flights going CDG-DTW-BUF. This would have resulted in a push of the new flights to DL and DL creating a new DL PNR. This happens frequently with codeshare. Between GVA and AF10 departure, AF didn't complete the process of moving her over for whatever reason. (Was DTW-BUF cancelled?) Thus she boarded AF 10 and is on route to a cancelled flight at JFK.

Was the BUF flight cancelled before she checked in for the start of trip? Was there any issue checking in at GVA?

You should be able to pull up the reservation (use the original DL PNR, not the new one) and select rebooking options inside the reservation. It'll allow to search for tomorrow's or the following day and will allow you to search to other airports within approx 250 miles plus search from other airports (IE LGA). Note if LGA works DL will issue a travel voucher for a taxi between.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta GM, AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by ShopAround
It's weather related. Our local news here in NYC is reporting major delays and ground stops at all the area airports. I'd book whatever hotel you can find for her asap.
+1 - the weather is absolutely awful in New York today.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Exclamation Weather Waiver Issued

In the last 15 minutes, DL has issued a weather waiver for the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

Reason: Inclement Weather in mid-Atlantic and Northeast U.S (duh)

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...ulletin-1.html
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
I think lots of itineraries are messed up. I'm @ DTW waiting on the 3rd leg of today's itinerary and am delayed. I can't get my flight info to come up on either the web site or the app.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Ibetting that AF systems saw the cancelled flight and protected her with flights going CDG-DTW-BUF. This would have resulted in a push of the new flights to DL and DL creating a new DL PNR. This happens frequently with codeshare. Between GVA and AF10 departure, AF didn't complete the process of moving her over for whatever reason. (Was DTW-BUF cancelled?) Thus she boarded AF 10 and is on route to a cancelled flight at JFK.
Unfortunatley, I think you may have nailed it.

She messaged me last night to say that she couldn't check in online, could only do so at the airport... but when I woke up, she had messaged me her boarding passes... which I now see have gate/seat data for the AF legs, but not the DL one

Now that you mention it, I remember having a suspicion in the back of my mind. But what a poorly daughter at this end, coupled with the fact I didn't see her BP data until she was en route (and our timing was such today that I only managed to message her as she was at the gate about a minute before boarding), I just wasn't able to catch this one. I know for next time, though :/

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You should be able to pull up the reservation (use the original DL PNR, not the new one) and select rebooking options inside the reservation. It'll allow to search for tomorrow's or the following day and will allow you to search to other airports within approx 250 miles plus search from other airports (IE LGA). Note if LGA works DL will issue a travel voucher for a taxi between.
Thanks - I'll take a look at that now.

E2A: the original DL PNR only shows CDG-JFK.. there is no onward segment to rebook... this is crazy :/

Last edited by sofasurfer; Apr 6, 2017 at 4:00 pm Reason: updated with missing segment problem! :(
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
A cousin of mine (who lives not far from YHM) was flying (IIRC) BRU-JFK-BUF did get rerouted to YYZ when there was a problem with JFK-BUF (don't remember the issue -- it wasn't a weather meltdown, though). He has no status with DL. So it is possible.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by sofasurfer
Thanks for confirming re. hotel. Just been looking at hotel availability and it's not looking good at all :-/
Lots of AirBnb rooms in the South Jamaica / Ozone / Rockaway area. Many under $100 and dozens of positive reviews. Your username sounds amenable to it.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by sofasurfer
DL4109 JFK-BUF is now cancelled.
Amtrak might be an option, especially if it weather makes tomorrows JFK-BUF flights look unlikely.

Amtrak #63 leaves Penn Station at 7:15 AM and goes all the way to Toronto. Amtrak #281 (leaves at 10:20 AM) and #283 (leaves at 1:20 PM) will get her to Niagara Falls (NY side) while Amtrak #49 (leaves at 3:40 PM) will get her to Buffalo/Depew.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Amtrak might be an option, especially if it weather makes tomorrows JFK-BUF flights look unlikely.

Amtrak #63 leaves Penn Station at 7:15 AM and goes all the way to Toronto. Amtrak #281 (leaves at 10:20 AM) and #283 (leaves at 1:20 PM) will get her to Niagara Falls (NY side) while Amtrak #49 (leaves at 3:40 PM) will get her to Buffalo/Depew.
username checks out

seriously, though - thank you so much, RatherBeOnATrain!
Looking at that now...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
I normally would not suggest this, but...

MegaBus has an overnight bus.

Departs 11:50 PM New York, NY , 34th St b/t 11th Ave and 12th Ave
Arrives 8:30 AM Buffalo, NY , Downtown Terminal
$59.00

Not the kinda of experience I would want for my wife, but if the alternatives are a JFK terminal floor or a stranger's couch, the Megabus may not be the worst option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.