Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary C+ Upgrade cleared while Medallion, revoked at check in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

A cautionary tale for those of you who receive complimentary C+ upgrades, then subsequently drop status. I received a C+ upgrade back in January and was unable to check in for the flight. Contacting Twitter, they said the reason was the system rejected the check in since I was no longer eligible for C+ upgrades (even though this one had been confirmed for months with no subsequent schedule changes). My only choices would be a normal seat, or to pay for the upgrade. Rather than leave the seat intact and let me deal with the ticket issue by calling reservations or with a ticket agent at the airport, the Twitter agent (without discussing with me first), removed me from my C+ seat, splitting me up from my wife who was seated next to me on a different PNR... and leaving that seat open for anyone to grab until I have an opportunity to call reservations. So beware: the common belief that you'll probably be okay unless a schedule change occurs appears to be invalid.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Sounds like the twitter agent was trying to be helpful by doing what was necessary to allow you to check in, which was changing you to a standard seat.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL DM
Glad they closed the loophole
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Loophole nothing. At the time the upgrade was received, I was eligible for the upgrade. After finding time to step away from a wedding to deal with this, Singapore res confirmed this and put things back the way they were after checking with the ticketing desk. Ticket was reissued in C+ with an even exchange. So if this happens to you, insist the ticket is fixed to match the seat, not the other way around.

I'd have been willing to pay for the C+ upgrade, but the Twitter agent messing with the seats jeopardized it even being available by the time I was able to call a few hours later.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:51 pm

The "loophole" still existed as of March 12.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Nonsense. If they confirm you in a seat you should be able to keep it, unless you are moved for operational reasons.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Nonsense. If they confirm you in a seat you should be able to keep it, unless you are moved for operational reasons.
The operational reason could be the need to give the C+ "upgrade" to some current elite who has C+ "upgrades" as a published benefit of their earned current status.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The operational reason could be the need to give the C+ "upgrade" to some current elite who has C+ "upgrades" as a published benefit of their earned current status.
I did not know elites are ensured C+ upgrades. Can you point out where that is in the published benefits?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There is no "need" to give an upgrade to a medallion (FYI there have not been "elites" since NWA). I'm saying that it's really not good customer service to think you have a seat and then show up and find out your in 34B or the like. Moving a pax with a confirmed seat should be reserved for situations when there is a real need. DL does not know if it is splitting up a family or moving a non-status spouse away from a DM or 360 when it just does this automatically.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Both AA and UA now require that one hold status as of the date of the flight, so not surprising if DL is moving in that direction as well.

Both AA and UA leave the benefit, whatever it is, in place. But, if anyone touches the PNR for any reason, voluntary or involuntary, the rebook is at the currently applicable level. If you've dropped from royalty to peasant, you sit with the peasants.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:11 am

Currently platinum medallion (able to confirm c+ comp upgrade after ticketing). If next year I don't re-qualify, but book travel in Jan for March, was upgraded at ticketing to c+, and then had it pulled, I'd be upset. The system should at least warn you if there is a chance this could happen
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:18 am

If you book a flight as a Medallion but have general status on the day of departure, do you use the Sky Priority desk to drop off baggage? I'm genuinely curious, not being rhetorical.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I was PLT on AA several years ago and dropped to Gold. My ticket was reissued due to an equipment change and I was removed from my MCE seat. I was able to go back to the MCE seat only because I was set to get PLT status before that flight and the AAgent removed the charges.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:57 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I'm sorry for your bad experience, javabytes.

My feelings on this are more in line with Widgets's comment though, here is my logic.

If we book tickets before we reach Medallion status we then get all the benefits for those existing tickets. For example, if I booked a trip for next year as a GM and then hit PM, my upgrade window would change and I could immediately select Comfort+ seats. I'm not stuck at the 72-hour window because I was GM when I booked.

Similarly, if I had an award ticket from when I was a GM and then became PM, I can now redeposit it for free.

The elite benefits regarding these tickets are dependent upon contemporary status, not status when booked. I don't think that it's fare to demand to have it both ways: getting status perks for tickets booked before status and getting status perks because you were a Medallion when you booked them, even though you aren't anymore.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta GM, AMEX Reserve
I think that if you drop status you should be forced to sit in the back row center seat with a bag over your head.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.