Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sacrificing last segment award travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Sacrificing last segment award travel

Booked partner flight with skymiles LAX to CDG through LHR. Virgin Atlantic then Air France. May need to stay in London a couple nights. In September. I assume a stopover is impossible with Delta but may just decide to travel by train or pay for ticket to CDG after being in London.

Any issues with just not showing for the LHR to CDG portion? Not a round trip so no worries on the return being cancelled.....
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This only works if no checked luggage. Otherwise luggage will be through check ked to CDG.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
and any downline/return leg(s) will be cancelled if you no-show the LHR-CDG segment
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
and any downline/return leg(s) will be cancelled if you no-show the LHR-CDG segment
OP says it's not a RT ticket.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:14 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
You are correct that stopovers are no longer allowed on Delta award tickets.

This is a standard warning for dropping the last leg of your ticket and you've probably heard it before, but remember that Delta and its partners have no obligation with this ticket to transport you to or through London. They only have a contractual obligation to get you to CDG. So if there is a schedule change or IRROPS you may end up missing whatever you need to do in London, or paying for a very expensive walk-up plane or train ticket from Paris to London if whatever you're doing in London can't be missed. That all said, I think you'll be fine.

As flyerCO said, don't check bags. You have a small chance of talking your check-in agent into "short-checking" your bags, but you better have a good excuse as to why you want to do so and be prepared to carry-on if they don't go for it.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP says it's not a RT ticket.
blah

coffee hadn't kicked in after four straight half-days (8am til 8pm, ha!) of proposal-ing
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:44 am

Just understand there is no obligation for them to fly you via LHR. If there's a problem on the LAX-LHR leg the airline could easily re-route you LAX-CDG or LAX-AMS-CDG or any other routing.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by injera
Just understand there is no obligation for them to fly you via LHR. If there's a problem on the LAX-LHR leg the airline could easily re-route you LAX-CDG or LAX-AMS-CDG or any other routing.
People often mention this red herring in threads on this topic, but in practice, declining reroute option X is pretty straight forward. "I wanted to fly on VS," would work well in the instant case, for example.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Layover is 5 hours plus so could have the excuse that I'm going to clear immigration to go to a meeting or something then reenter for the last leg. Any potential effect on status with Delta(since used miles) or some kind of red flag put on my Delta account for the future? Assume the airlines aren't this diabolical......
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:56 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
Layover is 5 hours plus so could have the excuse that I'm going to clear immigration to go to a meeting or something then reenter for the last leg. Any potential effect on status with Delta(since used miles) or some kind of red flag put on my Delta account for the future? Assume the airlines aren't this diabolical......
Doing it once should be no problem. Normally reports of account being flagged for hidden-city ticketing involve months-long patterns of use, usually repeatedly on the same route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.