Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

One More Time; What's So Bad About LGA....for Making a Connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

I usually don't connect through LGA, but sometimes it just makes sense.

I've heard how the locals don't care for LGA, but I've never been on the other side of security, so I can't relate to those issues.

However, I don't think it's that bad of an airport for making a connection. Short distances, nice buffet near Terminal D, plenty of New York stuff to buy, great views out the windows on arrival and departure. I like it.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RRDD

I've heard how the locals don't care for LGA, but I've never been on the other side of security, so I can't relate to those issues.

However, I don't think it's that bad of an airport for making a connection. Short distances, nice buffet near Terminal D, plenty of New York stuff to buy, great views out the windows on arrival and departure. I like it.
It's not a bad place to connect if the weather is nice. I recently did RIC-LGA-MSY because I'm crazy, but also because it was significantly cheaper than ATL. It was pleasant enough, since the terminals that DL uses were recently renovated. I won't go near it though if there's supposed to be any sort of bad weather.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
LGA is my preferred airport, warts and all, due to its proximity to me. I certainly don't dislike it.

The reason I tell people to be wary of connecting there is because ATC delays can, and often do, wreak havoc. Wind, rain, snow, low clouds, any number of things screw LGA up. As an O&D traveler that just slows me down, but for connecting traffic that can mess up an itinerary.

If everything runs smoothly, it's certainly an easy terminal setup to connect at.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ty97
As an O&D traveler that just slows me down, but for connecting traffic that can mess up an itinerary.
As an O&D traveler it can mess up an itinerary too. I try to avoid booking the last flight of the day (especially on an RJ), though I've also seen earlier flights canceled while the last flight goes out.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by bennos
As an O&D traveler it can mess up an itinerary too. I try to avoid booking the last flight of the day (especially on an RJ), though I've also seen earlier flights canceled while the last flight goes out.
True, and when I'm flying out of LGA but have a connection someplace like ATL or DTW, I never choose the 45 minute connection, I always book an earlier LGA flight with a longer connection to allow buffer.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium

It's a tight, dumpy terminal. Like anything in NY, it's a crowded, disgusting pit with major traffic issues. That's why it's just best to avoid anything NY.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
It's a tight, dumpy terminal. Like anything in NY, it's a crowded, disgusting pit with major traffic issues. That's why it's just best to avoid anything NY.
Hey now....maybe you're just not doing NYC the right way
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards

Because it is one of, if not the worst airport in the country for being on time.
https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.asp?pn=1
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:08 am

Delta pads their LGA flights by a solid hour knowing that you'll often be #26 for takeoff.

I think its a pretty easy airport to navigate and Delta's terminals are nice, but unless the savings is substantial I would change planes in another airport if at all possible.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ty97
The reason I tell people to be wary of connecting there is because ATC delays can, and often do, wreak havoc. Wind, rain, snow, low clouds, any number of things screw LGA up. As an O&D traveler that just slows me down, but for connecting traffic that can mess up an itinerary.
I think that's more of a New York City airspace issue than one specific to LGA. I think EWR is at least as bad, and JFK no picnic either.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I try to avoid connections at LGA. But sometimes there are no other reasonable options. Summer evening MCI-PWM options have occasionally appeared on DL via LGA (although I far prefer ATL or CLT on AA). I don't want to leave the office before 3pm, and LGA has in the past offered the only plausible connection.

If there is the slightest bit of weather then the takeoff queue at LGA backs up horribly, and departure delays stretch readily into hours not minutes.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
If someone sneezes, LGA goes into a ground stop. If it rains, delays back up.

If you have a long layover, you're fine. But I won't risk anything shorter than an hour anymore with LGA.

I've taken to flying BOS-DTW-PIT just to avoid going via LGA. Yes, I know there is a B6 non-stop.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Most LGA connections for me are at the Marine Air Terminal -- DCA-LGA-ORD and vv. And for me, at least, the schedules are padded enough that I usually can still grab the earlier connection, going either way.
Did one connection that took me to the main LGA -- WX or MX at DTW so I flew DCA-LGA-TPA. Easy bus connection from MAT to main terminal and on a Saturday afternoon so no delays at security. Maybe I'm just lucky!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:46 am

Problem with LGA is that with 2 intersecting runways, all it takes is the wind to come from the wrong direction and they are in single runway operations. As long as you are not going between main Delta terminal and Marine Air Terminal, connecting is rather simple, but I would not risk the delay issues. Even JFK is not immune. Last night, my parents got severely delayed because JFK was in single runway operations (fortunately they made it back as they were not flying Delta and the aairline they were on their flight got in, but Delta Connection was canceled).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.