Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When are names added to upgrade list?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Poster

When are names added to upgrade list?

Are names added to the upgrade list when you check in or does the list already exist but you can't see it until you check in? This relates to how accurate the list is when you see it early in the 24hr period for checking in. I realize names get added later on due to missed planes, newly bought high fare tickets, movement of people with high status onto my flights, etc.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Names are only added to the visible list when you check-in. You will almost certainly move down the list if you check-in at the 24 hour mark as other passengers check-in for the flight. Note that if passengers are
flying with a connection, it is possible to be checked-in more than 24 hours before the second flight.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 24, 2017 at 7:59 am
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by LBJ
Names are only added to the visible list when you check-in. You will almost certainly move down the list if you check-in at the 24 hour mark as other passengers check-in for the flight.
Being #1 on the list at T-24 is often akin to being poised at the top of the ski jump ramp. The only way to go is down.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Being #1 on the list at T-24 is often akin to being poised at the top of the ski jump ramp. The only way to go is down.
^

... and something (your ego or your body) is likely to get bruised or broken in the near future.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
As a DL Gold who is often flying ATL-LAX or ATL-NYC, it is one really HUUUUGE ski jump going down :-)

And I suspect getting Plat later this year will not make any difference on these routes.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I'm shocked that I'm still #1 on DCA-ATL tomorrow. Saturday, sure, but normally I get knocked down after a few hours.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by WWads
I'm shocked that I'm still #1 on DCA-ATL tomorrow. Saturday, sure, but normally I get knocked down after a few hours.
Oddly I've cleared on many DCA-ATL and ATL-DCA legs on Saturday afternoons/evenings and Sunday afternoons. Often in advance, not at the gate. It's one of those elite heavy routes that at odd times has availability.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Oddly I've cleared on many DCA-ATL and ATL-DCA legs on Saturday afternoons/evenings and Sunday afternoons. Often in advance, not at the gate. It's one of those elite heavy routes that at odd times has availability.
I've cleared it in advance several times too. I just expect to always lose at the gate these days.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by exwannabe
As a DL Gold who is often flying ATL-LAX or ATL-NYC, it is one really HUUUUGE ski jump going down :-)

And I suspect getting Plat later this year will not make any difference on these routes.
Softer landing but still going down.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cnc2002
Are names added to the upgrade list when you check in or does the list already exist but you can't see it until you check in?
Seems to me that no one answered the basic question of the OP.

Namely, does the list already exist somewhere is cyber space or is it created at check in time.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by yogimax

Namely, does the list already exist somewhere is cyber space or is it created at check in time.
The first response answered the question. Names are added to the list during check-in.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by yogimax

What would be the practical difference?

Option 1: Upgrade list is prepopulated with the names of all Medallions booked on the flight, but names are only become visible as each passenger checks in.
Option 2: Upgrade list is created on the fly, as each passenger checks in.

In either scenario, you aren't going to see the people who haven't checked in yet. It's not like they are going to show you in the first position, but with a number 8 next to your name because the 7 people who would rank above you haven't checked in yet....

As a semi-related aside, I used an RUC last week. After checking in at T-24 or so, I was already #5 for 3 seats. I called the DM desk and asked if I could waitlist a certificate to hopefully get myself to the top of the list, and the nice lady said "Oh! I see inventory available on that flight!". So the upgrade list went from 3 seats available to 2 seats, and the only indication to an observer would have been my name dropping off of the list...
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets
The first response answered the question. Names are added to the list during check-in.
Nope, not true. The first response talks of the "visible list." That's not what the OP asked.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by WWads
I've cleared it in advance several times too. I just expect to always lose at the gate these days.
I'm flying PBI-ATL-DCA this Wednesday on the last flight of the night to DCA; got upgraded on both segments at the 5 day window.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Softer landing but still going down.
and yet things will go all wrong before you touch down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.