Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for compensation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by live5
This website is not a forum for complaints. We're all Delta fans here, so coming on this forum and telling us how terrible Delta is is unlikely to get quality responses.

You cannot email CEOs of corporations (Delta or otherwise) and expect to get a response. Your email likely wasn't ignored, it was probably never even seen. You have to go customer service, ask for a supervisor, and work your way through the system that way.
---------

I agree, but cut them some slack here.....I think it's pretty evident that these are infrequent travelers, not road warriors that even have a clue about how many things can go wrong let alone who/ what / where / how to fix it.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
---------

I agree, but cut them some slack here.....I think it's pretty evident that these are infrequent travelers, not road warriors that even have a clue about how many things can go wrong let alone who/ what / where / how to fix it.
I agree. A major part of customer service is that perception is reality. When a customer has a bad perception, it's better to be straight-up and brutally honest instead of stringing them along without telling them why a claim is denied... imo. Even if the OP is entitled to nothing, I think he/she should at least get a written statement from Delta explaining why the claim is denied. Maybe that's already happened and the OP willfully ignored it. We don't know. (Delta did give the third party a reason for denying the claim, but that wasn't very thorough.)
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Often1

2. Complaints should be short and to the point. An EC 261/2004 claim is based on a simple set of facts and is binary. Those facts either exist or not. The purpose of your trip and your aunt's age are irrelevant. Unlike situations where you are seeking assistance where the personal situation may matter, it does not matter here.
Agree when it comes to EC 261/2004. However, it seems to be becoming clear that this is not a 261/2004 situation. Therefore, in this case, I think the personal situation, explained in simple, clear and not overly dramatized terms, is the OP's only case to make, and all the OP can expect to get are some miles or credits for use on Delta. Probably worth much less than all the time spent on this.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not wishing to blame the OP outright, but has it been established how the wrong name got on the booking? Why the assumption that one of the airlines is at fault?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Widgets
I agree. A major part of customer service is that perception is reality. When a customer has a bad perception, it's better to be straight-up and brutally honest instead of stringing them along without telling them why a claim is denied... imo. Even if the OP is entitled to nothing, I think he/she should at least get a written statement from Delta explaining why the claim is denied. Maybe that's already happened and the OP willfully ignored it. We don't know. (Delta did give the third party a reason for denying the claim, but that wasn't very thorough.)
We don't know the exact reason DL told the NEB. We only know what the OP says was told by NEB. They may have explained it, but the NEB only saw the blame on VS and ignored the rest. It sounds like OP had a bad time and that most of this was the OTA/VS fault. Trying to get compensation from DL thus sounds like the wrong place. Plus it sounds like OP is trying to claying regulatory compensation that isn't entitled to. Thus I'm betting DL has said the problem was not with us, but with VS/OTA and to contact them. However under belief that EU261 was at play they've continued to press DL. Based on the info given by OP it sounds like this is not EU261 covered. Also it sounds like the issue is with VS/OTA who issued tickets/reservation.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may be correct, but that is a function of EC 261/2004, which has come to be seen by many as a pot of gold. In this case only one passenger has a potential claim because 3 were not denied boarding but apparently chose to voluntarily offload themselves. But, OP nonetheless believes that there are 4 claims and has likely heard that he might see EUR 2,400.

That is an astonishing amount of money for a few hours of leisure time, even if DL did completely louse this up. Thus, the "pot of gold."

Thus, rather than pursuing a complaint with VS or some TA or considering the possibility that he mistyped his aunt's information, and possibly seeing a small token by way of apology, OP sees a large judgment headed his way.

That won't happen.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
We don't know the exact reason DL told the NEB. We only know what the OP says was told by NEB. They may have explained it, but the NEB only saw the blame on VS and ignored the rest. It sounds like OP had a bad time and that most of this was the OTA/VS fault. Trying to get compensation from DL thus sounds like the wrong place. Plus it sounds like OP is trying to claying regulatory compensation that isn't entitled to. Thus I'm betting DL has said the problem was not with us, but with VS/OTA and to contact them. However under belief that EU261 was at play they've continued to press DL. Based on the info given by OP it sounds like this is not EU261 covered. Also it sounds like the issue is with VS/OTA who issued tickets/reservation.
I agree, but I think it's reasonable for a company to provide a thorough explanation straight to the complainant explaining why the claim is being denied. Delta might have already done that and the OP might have dismissed it. Who knows
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I find in these cases it is a good idea to look up the OP's other posts.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Oh my god, you're so right! Going after EU compensation for fog, reasoning that fog is common in London and therefore isn't extradorinary... These are the kind of passengers who demand compensation for every slight weather delay, or demand IDB compensation because they forget to arrive at the airport with photo ID. It dilutes the legitimacy of substantive complaints.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by tentseller

Oh my god, you're so right! Going after EU compensation for fog, reasoning that fog is common in London and therefore isn't extradorinary... These are the kind of passengers who demand compensation for every slight weather delay, or demand IDB compensation because they forget to arrive at the airport with photo ID. It dilutes the legitimacy of substantive complaints.
And you thought you've seen them all?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: Waffle House DM
Whereas many people use 3rd party consolidators to book flights without incident, when things go wrong it does add a layer of complexity when trying to seek legal resolutions. Use them, but be aware.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

You're saying you were at the airport 23 hours before departure and you were trying to checkin all the way up until the flight closed for checkin at 1 hour before departure? I don't believe that. EU comp doesn't apply if you're not at the gate. Please provide more info.
Sorry. That was a typo. It was meant to say 2-3 hours before.
Also, why would I need to lie. I'm not holding back any information. They were denied boarding because the flight was actually over booked? So if anyone is making anything up it Delta
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
OP - I fail to see where EC261 applies. Your party had check in issues. They didn't even make it to the gate for the original flight so how could they be denied boarding?

I also don't know why you would call VS with check in issues. The operating carrier always handles check in. I think there is more to this story than you're letting on...

What was the route scheduled to fly and operating airlines for said flights, by the 4 pax you mention had a reservation?

DL has excellent customer service but EC261 is handled by a specific team reachable by writing only. It seems you don't have a valid EC261 claim and they perhaps did you all a favor allowing standby on the next flight without any change fee or fare difference.
I'm sure the complaints body (CAA) that delta refer to on their own site would know everything about EC261, so maybe read the whole thread? The pax booked through virgin thsts why they went to the virgin ticket desk!
Your comments are meaningless unless you read the whole thread. And as for deltas customer service? Are you joking? Or do you work for them?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta/Hyatt/Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 19briot
Sorry. That was a typo. It was meant to say 2-3 hours before.
Also, why would I need to lie. I'm not holding back any information. They were denied boarding because the flight was actually over booked? So if anyone is making anything up it Delta
Denied boarding is the term for pax w/ boarding pass refused to board aircraft by gate agent.

What you stated is mismatch of pax name in DL system, regardless of circumstance, so DL was unable to issue a boarding pass. The issue is more likely on TA/VS and complicated system to transit pax info. It's one of the reason strongly encouraged to purchase fare directly from airline...
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubbashow
....and WHY two threads about the same issue?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ints-body.html
Wrote it twice as thought it hadn't been published because I'd thought I'd posted it on the wrong forum. And it hasn't been published. My mistake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.