Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy - Gate Check carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Basic Economy - Gate Check carry-on?

Does Delta allow free gate check of a carry-on size (not personal item) bag? I am considering a delta regional jet (crj900) that will likely not take the carryon. I think that the middle seat problem will not be a factor in a RJ with 2-2 seating in the back.

Would my bumping chance be higher due to no seat assignment? Family of 3 on one PNR. Would they bump one of the three, separating the family?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mmthomas44
Does Delta allow free gate check of a carry-on size (not personal item) bag? I am considering a delta regional jet (crj900) that will likely not take the carryon. I think that the middle seat problem will not be a factor in a RJ with 2-2 seating in the back.

Would my bumping chance be higher due to no seat assignment? Family of 3 on one PNR. Would they bump one of the three, separating the family?
I've never heard RJ gate-check explained as a function of fare class.

As for IDB possibility, it is higher when one lacks a boarding pass on DL than with a BP. All U.S. carriers must outline IDB priorities and procedures in their contract of carriage. See Rule 245.

http://www.delta.com/content/dam/del...rriage_dom.pdf
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:58 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
The CRJ will be a pink tagged flight. No issue with caryon and fare class when pink tagging.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:17 pm

E fares are sorted based on checkin time on the unseated list. Checking in immediately at the 24-hour window will reduce your chance of being denied boarding.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding is that being on the same PNR essentially gives you the right to stay together in IROPs, so if DL's computer puts you on different flights, you can request and be granted reaccommodation on the same flights, although of course this could increase your delay. I assume that the same would apply if one were traveling with a child, say of UM age, even if there were separate PNRs, although there could be an argument that only one adult needed to be with the child.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.