Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Adding Meals in Main Cabin on Transcon Flights and Long-Haul Domestic Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Adding Meals in Main Cabin on Transcon Flights and Long-Haul Domestic Routes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Often1
Will be interesting to see if a free wrap shifts any business traffic or if leisure travelers look at this stuff when they purchase. If this were a full Y meal, it would be a significant change, but it's not that much, especially on the longer Westbound service.
I think it's not necessarily a single factor that will sway opinions, but a combination. Now Delta can show a list of things they offer that their competitors don't (TV screens, meals on some routes, better snacks for C+, $0 overhead bin space, etc).

Maybe the right term is "differentiation"
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by skchin
Continental Cheese Burger was a bomb!
If you want a great cheeseburger just go to one of the Shake Shacks at JFK's T4. Once you eat that burger you won't care about an inflight meal being served! ^
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I think it's not necessarily a single factor that will sway opinions, but a combination. Now Delta can show a list of things they offer that their competitors don't (TV screens, meals on some routes, better snacks for C+, $0 overhead bin space, etc).

Maybe the right term is "differentiation"
Not so sure.

The history here is that the three legacy carriers will even out on anything customers care about in 6-12 months. In the end: Price + Convenience.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Always nice to see enhanced service.

Now, if we could only convince Luvo to produce a product that someone actually wants to eat...
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Does the inclusion of these 10 markets make all transcons included in the program? or are there a few outliers still?

Last edited by Pharaoh; Feb 20, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:02 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by WWads
Long-haul domestic.
yes, that was my point, there are no long-haul domestic routes from DTW.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Interesting to see that RDU - SEA (where they compete against AS) made the cut but not RDU - LAX (where they compete against AA). RDU - SEA is longer by 115 miles (per gcmap) but I don't think anyone would argue that RDU - LAX isn't "long-haul domestic" by any reasonable definition.

Will be interesting if the other carriers eventually follow suit in which case RDU - SEA (AS), RDU - LAX (AA), and RDU - SFO (UA) would be prime targets for "long-haul domestic" food.

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
If you want a great cheeseburger just go to one of the Shake Shacks at JFK's T4. Once you eat that burger you won't care about an inflight meal being served! ^
^^^
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Is there a direct BOS-SFO flight, or are they adding that too on April 24th ?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thesaints
Is there a direct BOS-SFO flight, or are they adding that too on April 24th ?
IIRC, it's being added in June.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
What "long-haul" routes from DTW? Or ATL for that matter.
I seem to remember a 5.5 hour flight from ATL to SEA, but maybe that's not long enough to be called "long-haul".
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Gold Status, Delta Platinum AMEX, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, SPG Preferred
Rumor was that they'd be serving hot meals EG: what is served to Europe. So this is basically free buy on board give away. Needless to say, it's better than the "Bistro Bag" days of DL and AA back in the early 2000s by a long shot.

Clearly it's very impressive and I doubt UA will do anything about it to compete.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL FO
I will happily take the fruit and cheese plate over any of the hot meals they serve in TATL Y. It's simple and reliable.

I've only tried other buy on board options once - I ended up with a Boars Head chicken sandwich on a SEA-DTW flight. They were out of everything else by the time the FA reach my row, but I was famished after a hectic connection/VDB coming off a HNL-SEA red eye, and that sandwich was pretty tasty. I would happily eat that plus a bag of chips for a standard domestic Y lunch.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Does the inclusion of these 10 markets make all transcons included in the program? or are these a few outliers still?
I'm a little surprised at the omission of MIA-LAX given that DL is a small fish relative to AA on that route and it could give them a competitive advantage. Also I'd have liked to see TPA/MCO - LAX as well...
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
Originally Posted by mpheels
I will happily take the fruit and cheese plate over any of the hot meals they serve in TATL Y. It's simple and reliable.

I've only tried other buy on board options once - I ended up with a Boars Head chicken sandwich on a SEA-DTW flight. They were out of everything else by the time the FA reach my row, but I was famished after a hectic connection/VDB coming off a HNL-SEA red eye, and that sandwich was pretty tasty. I would happily eat that plus a bag of chips for a standard domestic Y lunch.
^ to both the cheese plate and the sandwich combo being options.

I think this is mostly hype with a measured amount of improving the experience and perception of air travel. This is taking buy-on-board that is only offered on routes >1400 miles anyway and making it free on some >2300 miles. To me, it's not "free meals in coach again" so much as an effort not to run out of BOB snacks on some of the longest domestic routes. Not running out is exactly what makes travelers (like mpheels w/ close connection) happy to fly Delta.

Since this only affects some transcon routes, those of us in flyover land will just have to enjoy our Biscoffs
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:18 am

I still don't know who's going to pay even $10 more for a flight just because delta gives you a free meal

if I'm flying for work it doesn't matter as I have an corporate card. If I'm a kettle then I probably don't know about free food or still want to save some money. I have plenty of reasons why I fly delta but getting a feee sandwich on a 5 hour flight isn't going to be one of them

I hope this works works for delta - just don't know if it will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.