Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL 157 Fiasco today (SFO-ATL)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
My UAX flight out of SFO was delayed today because they had to replace the broken coffee maker.... for the 40 minute flight where they usually do water service only, if that.

Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
My UAX flight out of SFO was delayed today because hey had to tree lace the broken coffee maker.... for the 40 minute flight where they usually do water service only, if that.

lol, sounds about right for UA!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kjnangre
There were no parts available but he said that maintenance was able to "seal the crack"
Thst reminds me of a story I posted before.....

Flying on an A320 out of MSP. . . . .GA announces that the pilot found a crack in one of the engines, and that "Maybe it can be patched up - - OR SOMETHING".
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
Thst reminds me of a story I posted before.....

Flying on an A320 out of MSP. . . . .GA announces that the pilot found a crack in one of the engines, and that "Maybe it can be patched up - - OR SOMETHING".
Wow! At one point, the captain today asked if anyone had duct tape with them. He did make a point of emphasizing that there was no issue of safety whatsoever, the repair was just a matter of "following the rules"
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:21 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kjnangre
the captain today asked if anyone had duct tape with them.

Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
My UAX flight out of SFO was delayed today because they had to replace the broken coffee maker.... for the 40 minute flight where they usually do water service only, if that.

Until the issue happens to be with wiring and the plane catches fire. They don't delay flights for these things for no reason.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There plenty of non-airline maintenance companies that work at airports. No need to hope another airline has a part.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
I was on a Delta 767-300ER flight from TPE to NRT that had a mechanical delay over a year ago. The captain was great in keeping us updated on the repair. He mentioned that Delta had agreements with other airlines and they purchased the part from Air China or China Airlines, whichever is based @ TPE.. the delay was handled professionally and our onward flight to DTW waited for us. I was glad that we didn't lose our upper deck D1 seats..
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by davetravels
Hopefully, you ultimately settled into a nice, cozy lie-flat!

I was booked on this flight in of those lie flats but work plans changed and had to get to Socal instead.
Guess I had some good fortune this go around.

I did get a lie flat on DL 64 LAX-ATL yesterday.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by javabytes
How does this happen? Clearly someone in SFO can't be bothered to rub two brain cells together today...
SFO is one of my two home DL airports. I can confirm SFO GAs are massively short of brain cells. I don't know how many times I caught them not knowing their own policies, or even their own route network. During last August's computer meltdown, I had to help the clueless GA rebook dozens of pax connecting at LAX. Not because I want to help her, but I want her to rebook me as well. She looked at me and said "do you work for delta? "no" "how do you know our routes so well" "ehhh, i fly delta a lot, but shouldn't you know these things?" "i just work here..."

One time, I actually got into an argument with a ticketing agent insisting I was wrong that my Haneda departing flight does not get me into the US one day early (-1). She literally told me Delta only flies and can't time-travel and I land the same day as when I took off from Asia. She insist on "fixing" my other ticket flight because I won't be able to make it. I had raised my voice and call her some colorful words and said DO NOT TOUCH my tickets. The Haneda flight takes off just a bit after midnight, so it does get into US 1 day before I left (-1 day).... The SFO agent was just too stupid to understand.

Definitely intellectually-challenged staff at SFO.

Last edited by wlau; Jan 23, 2017 at 7:51 am
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP

We don't know where the plane was scheduled to after your short hop. Perhaps SFO was the only/best maintenance base to perform the repair? There is a larger picture than one flight...
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ekozie
We don't know where the plane was scheduled to after your short hop. Perhaps SFO was the only/best maintenance base to perform the repair? There is a larger picture than one flight...
When a piece of electrical equipment on a plane randomly stops working, I want to them to fix it (or at least make sure it isn't a symptom of a larger problem) before pushing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/b...ayed.html?_r=0
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by wlau
SFO is one of my two home DL airports. I can confirm SFO GAs are massively short of brain cells. I don't know how many times I caught them not knowing their own policies, or even their own route network. During last August's computer meltdown, I had to help the clueless GA rebook dozens of pax connecting at LAX. Not because I want to help her, but I want her to rebook me as well. She looked at me and said "do you work for delta? "no" "how do you know our routes so well" "ehhh, i fly delta a lot, but shouldn't you know these things?" "i just work here..."

One time, I actually got into an argument with a ticketing agent insisting I was wrong that my Haneda departing flight does not get me into the US one day early (-1). She literally told me Delta only flies and can't time-travel and I land the same day as when I took off from Asia. She insist on "fixing" my other ticket flight because I won't be able to make it. I had raised my voice and call her some colorful words and said DO NOT TOUCH my tickets. The Haneda flight takes off just a bit after midnight, so it does get into US 1 day before I left (-1 day).... The SFO agent was just too stupid to understand.

Definitely intellectually-challenged staff at SFO.
Trust me, they're not contained to SFO.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by WWads
When a piece of electrical equipment on a plane randomly stops working, I want to them to fix it (or at least make sure it isn't a symptom of a larger problem) before pushing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/b...ayed.html?_r=0
This too. Though I have been on DL connection flights with no potable water and a handful of others with no coffee, so clearly these situations vary.

My point was more so that let's say a bird is operating ATL-RDU-MCO-DTW, for example. ATL is likely the preferred option to get a problem fixed, rather than have it become more serious at one of the outstations, before the plane gets to DTW, even if it means a delay on more segments.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WesTraveller
I was on a Delta 767-300ER flight from TPE to NRT that had a mechanical delay over a year ago. The captain was great in keeping us updated on the repair. He mentioned that Delta had agreements with other airlines and they purchased the part from Air China or China Airlines, whichever is based @ TPE.. the delay was handled professionally and our onward flight to DTW waited for us. I was glad that we didn't lose our upper deck D1 seats..
Upper deck in the 767? Isn't that rather cold and windy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.