Wiki Posts
Search

Will DL orders 737-10MAX?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
I think people would notice the wider seat, and larger amount of general space.
They have better calibrated rear-ends than I do. I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference of a half an inch on each side.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
They have better calibrated rear-ends than I do. I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference of a half an inch on each side.
Well, readywhenyouare, you have a 24-36-24 frame ... svelt, you know, the marilyn monroe type.

For people like me, well, that extra 1/2 inch makes a difference ^^^^^ (my wife also thinks the extra half-inch is nicccceeeeeee )
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:20 am

I may not notice it immediately on sitting down, but after sitting there for a couple of hours, I notice that I feel better after the same length of flight on one plane vs the other even if I can't pinpoint why I feel better.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
They have just about every other type of narrowbody in their fleet, so I wouldn't count it out.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:08 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Since they have just bought 120 of the 737-900ERs plus 82 A321s, I'd say it's unlikely any time in the near future. Beyond that, it's hard to say. I would think the A321neo would be in contention and there would probably be interest if a 757 replacement ever materializes. The problem with the 737 is that the basic airframe design is 50 years old and while the newer models are completely different designs, the overall design is still showing its age.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by micstatic
i see your point. But all you need to do is a connecting itinerary. I flew on a 737-900 leg 1 and connected to an a320 leg 2. The difference was very apparent to me.

Given the rave reviews of the 739 when it was brand new, I think the bias would have made people believe the aircraft was better than it was. I was really impressed when I stepped on the 739 for the first time...and then I sat down With DL's most recent narrowbody/regional fleet additions, E175s, CS100s and A321s, all of which have wider fuselages, I would like to think that DL is taking passenger comfort a little more seriously than their competitors (and maybe a little tired of hearing gripes about the 739), even if seat pitch isn't spectacular. I would highly doubt and new narrowbody orders from BA will occur anytime soon.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
It's the shoulder space more than butt space. I'm not exactly thin, but my rear fits into a 737 seat that has the fixed dividers, but my back is going to hurt after a long flight. Same with a CRJ, a 757, or the old A320s that DL inexplicably used extra narrow seats. However, after a 767 or MD flight, my back feels much better. That extra inch is huge.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by The Situation
Given the rave reviews of the 739 when it was brand new, I think the bias would have made people believe the aircraft was better than it was. I was really impressed when I stepped on the 739 for the first time...and then I sat down With DL's most recent narrowbody/regional fleet additions, E175s, CS100s and A321s, all of which have wider fuselages, I would like to think that DL is taking passenger comfort a little more seriously than their competitors (and maybe a little tired of hearing gripes about the 739), even if seat pitch isn't spectacular. I would highly doubt and new narrowbody orders from BA will occur anytime soon.
The E175 and CS100 do not have wider fuselages.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Not wider in an absolute sense but wider in a sense that it's just wide enough to ensure comfort in a 4 or 5 seat row respectively but not wide enough to temp airlines to add a 5th or 6th seat ensuring some manner of shoulder room.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
It would be very interesting to do a blind test. Have people sit in a 737 seat and a 320 seat and see if they can tell the difference. There is a famous experiment of putting cheap whine in expensive bottles. People couldn't tell the difference. The power of suggestion usually prevails.
I actually did see a blind test of a 737 vs A320. Almost everyone said the 737 was more spacious because Boeing has the widest part of the fuselage at shoulder level, while Airbus has the widest part at waist level. People's minds think differently when they are told outside information.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:07 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by DA201
I actually did see a blind test of a 737 vs A320. Almost everyone said the 737 was more spacious because Boeing has the widest part of the fuselage at shoulder level, while Airbus has the widest part at waist level. People's minds think differently when they are told outside information.
how long did they sit in the seats?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Situation
I promise you Delta is not putting a priority on customer comfort. They are going for the cheapest price. Airbus almost always is the cheapest. Every now and then Boeing will give a great deal like Ryanair got. That's why Airbus is the favorite among ultra low cost carriers and failing airlines that don't have good enough credit to purchase Boeing aircraft.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DA201
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR

Don't overanalyze. I was trying to keep things concise since its reasonable to assume that the FT audience would understand what I was getting at. Clearly I meant this:

Originally Posted by kop84
Not wider in an absolute sense but wider in a sense that it's just wide enough to ensure comfort in a 4 or 5 seat row respectively but not wide enough to temp airlines to add a 5th or 6th seat ensuring some manner of shoulder room.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:03 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I promise you Delta is not putting a priority on customer comfort. They are going for the cheapest price. Airbus almost always is the cheapest. Every now and then Boeing will give a great deal like Ryanair got. That's why Airbus is the favorite among ultra low cost carriers and failing airlines that don't have good enough credit to purchase Boeing aircraft.
The goal is to maximize net revenue per flight. Aircraft acquisition cost matters there, but it's not the sole factor. Reliability, maintenance costs, fuel burn, seat capacity and the like are also part of the equation and are more vital factors over the life of the airframe. A plane that costs half as much but burns twice the fuel would not do well, nor would a plane which costs little but requires high maintenance costs. Over the life of the aircraft, acquisition cost gets spread over many tens of thousands of flights. Over 65,000 flight hours, a $10 million difference in purchase price is about $154 per hour. Not insignificant, but less significant than maintenance and fuel cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.