Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL YYC-SEA a few route specific questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG

Hello,

I recently moved to YYC and I'm looking at making a switch from UA/AC to DL/AA/AS(as the flight costs are significantly lower than UA/AC, plus it seems paid J is only around $100 r/t extra on most routings out of YYC on DL). I've never flown DL before and had a few questions for YYC-SEA specifically:

1) Is this an elite heavy route?
2) Anyone know what the average loads are like?
3) How bad is the layout of the CR7 DL uses(Y/J)? (AC is quite good but UA is awful)
4) Would you fly the DL CR7 over the AS 737 for $ savings(if no chance of upgrade)?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL, CO, UA, HH
I remember it being a pretty quick flight - hour and a half or so. May not make much difference as to getting an upgrade or not.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume you are aware that DL and AS are breaking up on May 1.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:38 pm

everything out of YYC (SEA, SLC, MSP) are very elite heavy but it doesn't seem like much paid F as i consistently got the upgrade as a DM.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slappy
I remember it being a pretty quick flight - hour and a half or so. May not make much difference as to getting an upgrade or not.
Originally Posted by ross123
everything out of YYC (SEA, SLC, MSP) are very elite heavy but it doesn't seem like much paid F as i consistently got the upgrade as a DM.
Good to know TY. If I switch to DL, I'm hoping they could match my 1K to something but with J prices so cheap, being a free agent may be even better. Plus, there are 6 carriers offering non-stop flights YYC-USA which gives me even more reason to fly based on convenience/price over loyalty.

Originally Posted by LBJ
I assume you are aware that DL and AS are breaking up on May 1.
I didn't even know that they were together What are the changes? I just know that AS/DL both have flights YYC-SEA but AS uses a 737.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SKYEG
I didn't even know that they were together What are the changes? I just know that AS/DL both have flights YYC-SEA but AS uses a 737.
You are able to earn and burn AS and DL miles on both AS and DL until May 1st. Also, you are eligible for upgrades on both airlines. That will be going away.

If AS uses the 737, I would take that over the OO (DL Connection) CRJ-700. Those planes are crap.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
If AS uses the 737, I would take that over the OO (DL Connection) CRJ-700. Those planes are crap.
I wouldn't go quite that far, but the F experience on a DL Connection CR7 is a far cry from an AS 737

on the plus side, the CR7 has a nine-seat 1-2 F cabin ... on the minus side, whether you're in F or coach the only lav is all the way at the rear; more significantly, the very small overhead bins mean you have to check pretty much anything bigger than a laptop case plane-side ... this adds 5-10 min to the time needed to actually get into the terminal when disembarking at destination, which can mean you miss a train to your connecting gate at SEA, which can mean a missed connection
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
I wouldn't go quite that far, but the F experience on a DL Connection CR7 is a far cry from an AS 737

on the plus side, the CR7 has a nine-seat 1-2 F cabin ... on the minus side, whether you're in F or coach the only lav is all the way at the rear; more significantly, the very small overhead bins mean you have to check pretty much anything bigger than a laptop case plane-side ... this adds 5-10 min to the time needed to actually get into the terminal when disembarking at destination, which can mean you miss a train to your connecting gate at SEA, which can mean a missed connection
Then again, one of the YYC - SEA frequencies on AS is operated by QX on a Q400, which are more miserable than a CR7. At least on the Q, they give you free wine and beer to make it a less horrible experience.

So (IMO), it's 737 >> CR7 >>> Q400.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
we will have to agree to disagree wrt that list ... at least on this route, I'll take a window seat on a Q400 in a heartbeat, because the view from 22000 feet is way more spectacular than from 32000 feet
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
GM or higher status or a seat in the business/FC cabin gets you lounge access on DL. Might not help in Canada, but does on US side.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I fly this route heavily.

DL has used a mix of CR7s, CR9's and E75's on this route, in order of worst to best. Expect usual DL F product with PDB, blanket/cushion/water and a drink/snack basket round during flight, usually time do a refill if you are so inclined.

AS 737 goes middle of day and - surprisingly - they serve a lunch in F.

As others have mentioned, DL provides free Skyclub access in SEA and the new club is nice.

I've usually been in paid F but have often seen 1 or 2 empty seats go out. The only 2 times I was in Y (as an AS Elite) I got upgraded both times. I'd say this is your easiest upgrade out of YYC compared to MSP and SLC (in that order). As more flight routings/city pairs open up as DL expands SEA that may change.

Oh, and I never have a problem with my carry on fitting the CR7 bins (I use a TravelPro Crew 5 20"). But essentially, your bag needs to fit completely within the sizing device to fit the CR7 bins. CR9 usually had larger bins in F and E75'S are to me a much more mainline aircraft feel with good cabin comfort.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamuelS
I fly this route heavily.

DL has used a mix of CR7s, CR9's and E75's on this route, in order of worst to best. Expect usual DL F product with PDB, blanket/cushion/water and a drink/snack basket round during flight, usually time do a refill if you are so inclined.

AS 737 goes middle of day and - surprisingly - they serve a lunch in F.

As others have mentioned, DL provides free Skyclub access in SEA and the new club is nice.

I've usually been in paid F but have often seen 1 or 2 empty seats go out. The only 2 times I was in Y (as an AS Elite) I got upgraded both times. I'd say this is your easiest upgrade out of YYC compared to MSP and SLC (in that order). As more flight routings/city pairs open up as DL expands SEA that may change.

Oh, and I never have a problem with my carry on fitting the CR7 bins (I use a TravelPro Crew 5 20"). But essentially, your bag needs to fit completely within the sizing device to fit the CR7 bins. CR9 usually had larger bins in F and E75'S are to me a much more mainline aircraft feel with good cabin comfort.
Thank you very much for the detailed response.

Ended up booking one F on DL for C$392, Y on DL for C$292 both on the CR7, and also trying out Y on AS(Q400,737) which was only C$261. I'm leaning towards status matching AS since their Y fares are cheaper and it is a short flight so an upgrade isn't necessary but some free drinks at DL club would be really nice in SEA! I will be on this route quite heavily now as well.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
I fly these routes a lot as a DL PM (I live in YYC), and the SEA one is extremely easy to clear the upgrade on. It is very rare that it doesn't clear right at the 5 day window. Plus if you are Gold or higher (or in F on the US-CAN segment) you can use either of the two Delta lounges in Seattle, one of which is brand new.

My upgrade hit rate on MSP and SLC is around 80% on el-cheapo economy tickets so I don't think it's too bad at all. Both of those are decent airports too (not as nice as SEA though). Onboard, DL is certainly a nicer product than what UA offers.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Well I finished all trips. Q400 on AS sucked. It's been a while since I have flown any prop and it sucked lol. 737 got downgraded so got the prop both ways. So. Ghetto.

CR7 sucked in Y as well but not as bad.it was also easily worth the $100 R/T extra to be in F to have a single seat and slightly more space. DL lounge in SEA is indeed very nice.
​​
​​​​It's been so nice moving to YYC and not having to fly any props or RJs anymore ! I used to all the time and didn't mind them at all but taking a break from them made me realize how awful they are. Will try to avoid at all costs haha.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,

Quick question. I booked another DL trip YYC-SEA-SNA in F. Will I get the same nice skyclub lounge access out in SEA for my connection to SNA? It looks like SEA-SNA isn't even a mainline flight and operated by Compass... Is that on par with mainline service/seats and do they service meals for an 11:30 departure(I think it's either an E70/E95 rather than flying the mainline)? Not sure if the Embraers on Delta has hot ovens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.