Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's new roped off boarding zones

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Delta's new roped off boarding zones

Have I been asleep? I noticed Delta's new four zone roped off boarding (Black Premium, Red Sky. Zone 1 and Zone 2/3)

It was great. The pilot walked through a clear path to gate, no mass group of folks blocking everything. What a pleasant change from the normal ATL zoo.

My sense is this is something Delta executed very well
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Really all they ever needed to do was enforce the zones they have and tell people to stay seated until their zone is called. Hopefully this will make it more automatic.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Were you in ATL at one of the low numbered Concourse B gates? If so, it's a "test" that's been running for years. Yes, it works better than anything else DL has tried, but there seems to be no movement towards expanding it to other gates.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:05 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
The virgin Australia purple premium zones that are very distinctly separate from the regular boarding is great, keeps the gate mob much more organized and out of the way. In JNB, the delta gate agents line up each category, Biz/Premium, Sky Priority, each zone so it's very organized at boarding
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Were you in ATL at one of the low numbered Concourse B gates? If so, it's a "test" that's been running for years. Yes, it works better than anything else DL has tried, but there seems to be no movement towards expanding it to other gates.
Yep in B2 or something, but definitely adjusted not been going on for two years as signs didn't have First Class but Delta's relatively new "Premium" labelled.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Yep in B2 or something, but definitely adjusted not been going on for two years as signs didn't have First Class but Delta's relatively new "Premium" labelled.
They may have expanded it to B2, but previously it's been limited to, IIRC, B5 and B7, which have used monitors rather than fixed signs. The GAs seem to like that set-up, and often give out biz cards with an address, begging passengers to go online to let DL know how much they like the system.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:56 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Whatever system they end up with, I hope they get the training right, unlike the MASSIVE debacle with the SkyPriority carpets . . . .

I was shocked to find a boarding anomaly a couple of weeks ago, and I can't remember for sure, but I think it was at SEA (I was on 11 planes in 9 days!)

I walked up to the gate and boarding was already underway. The SkyPriority line was roped CLOSED!

I stood at the head of the line briefly, and a contract wheel chair guy told me <> that line had already closed, and I'd hafto use the REGULAR line. It was HUGE! I stood there watching the GA boarding people from the regular line, and she wouldn't even look at me! I finally spoke up and asked her nicely what I should do! She said . . . .

We close that now, since people of ALL ZONES get in that line, even though they shouldn't.

I told her that, closing the line off defeats the purpose of even HAVING THE LINE!! We like to stay in the SkyClub til the last minute, and board late!

She opened the rope, and sure enough, several people followed me!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Have I been asleep? I noticed Delta's new four zone roped off boarding (Black Premium, Red Sky. Zone 1 and Zone 2/3)

It was great. The pilot walked through a clear path to gate, no mass group of folks blocking everything. What a pleasant change from the normal ATL zoo.

My sense is this is something Delta executed very well
Yes, you have been asleep. Not new. And I don't think the ATL has the space required to pull it off properly. Classic difference of opinion, I didn't care for it at all.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It'd be simple if they didn't place Zone 1 or 2 on the boarding passes. Many, many people who don't travel much simply assume Zone 1 is the first group. I have heard musings similar to "I thought zone 1 was first, I guess I was wrong"

Then, have the GA's announce to the passengers to please sit until your zone is called.

Prem, Sky, 3, 4, 5..
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by huskerchad
Really all they ever needed to do was enforce the zones they have and tell people to stay seated until their zone is called. Hopefully this will make it more automatic.
They did do this, and people just don't listen. It's no use. Actual proper zone roping works much better.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
I have hardly ever heard a GA actually instruct people about the zones. They do announce that they will board certain zones but it's rare that I hear a GA telling people to remain seated, stop blocking the gate, etc. The rare GAs who are proactive about all of this have a very noticeable effect.

As for calling it zone 3 instead of zone 1, that would give the appearance of devaluing the credit card benefit.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by huskerchad
I have hardly ever heard a GA actually instruct people about the zones. They do announce that they will board certain zones but it's rare that I hear a GA telling people to remain seated, stop blocking the gate, etc. The rare GAs who are proactive about all of this have a very noticeable effect...
The GA at BOS A7 earlier today, DL 1209 to ATL dep 1215p, did. It helped. However, the fact that half the aircraft (or so it seemed) was Sky Priority or better didn't.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by davetravels
Whatever system they end up with, I hope they get the training right, unlike the MASSIVE debacle with the SkyPriority carpets . . . .

I was shocked to find a boarding anomaly a couple of weeks ago, and I can't remember for sure, but I think it was at SEA (I was on 11 planes in 9 days!)

I walked up to the gate and boarding was already underway. The SkyPriority line was roped CLOSED!

I stood at the head of the line briefly, and a contract wheel chair guy told me <> that line had already closed, and I'd hafto use the REGULAR line. It was HUGE! I stood there watching the GA boarding people from the regular line, and she wouldn't even look at me! I finally spoke up and asked her nicely what I should do! She said . . . .

We close that now, since people of ALL ZONES get in that line, even though they shouldn't.

I told her that, closing the line off defeats the purpose of even HAVING THE LINE!! We like to stay in the SkyClub til the last minute, and board late!

She opened the rope, and sure enough, several people followed me!
That would have set me off - usually calm but sometimes.

I had a different malfunction in Atlanta last weeked. Was connecting and they had started boarding early (which is great) and as we were walking up we heard Zone 1 being called. Figured great, we could just walk up and through the priority lane. No way since the horde of Zone 1 was completely blocking the priority lane because that was being used. We sort of pushed our way slightly to get there and fortunately no one said anything.

We couldn't stop to say anything, but I have contacted DL to ask if they had changed anything (knowing they hadn't) and haven't heard back yet.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:04 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by davetravels
Apparently not, if you were trying to board while there were still people in line.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
That would have set me off - usually calm but sometimes.

I had a different malfunction in Atlanta last weeked. Was connecting and they had started boarding early (which is great) and as we were walking up we heard Zone 1 being called. Figured great, we could just walk up and through the priority lane. No way since the horde of Zone 1 was completely blocking the priority lane because that was being used. We sort of pushed our way slightly to get there and fortunately no one said anything.

We couldn't stop to say anything, but I have contacted DL to ask if they had changed anything (knowing they hadn't) and haven't heard back yet.
I've been at numerous gates lately that the GA instructs Zone 1 to line up in the SP lanr, zone 2/3 in the regular lane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.