Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Strange search results to Bermuda on delta.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM

I am going to Bermuda over thanksgiving. I am flying out on November 20th and flying back on Nov. 25. I will get one result with a not crazy layover and then 10 with 19 hour layovers in Detroit or La Guardia. What up? Will I need to call? I'm starting and ending at my family's place in MSN.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
usual

Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst
I am going to Bermuda over thanksgiving. I am flying out on November 20th and flying back on Nov. 25. I will get one result with a not crazy layover and then 10 with 19 hour layovers in Detroit or La Guardia. What up? Will I need to call?
Not unusual-- short BDA connections are sparse. It's an international flight, so you get 24 hours to make the connection. Make a day trip into the connecting city if you want.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From MSN, you might be able to force the routing through MSP if desired.

Some folks here would take the attitude that if the journey will be long anyway, they prefer to add a segment or lots of MQMs rather than waiting at an airport.

Others would plan to use the long connection as a way to get a "free" day in NYC or someplace else that's an interesting spot to spend some time.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From MSN, you might be able to force the routing through MSP if desired.

Some folks here would take the attitude that if the journey will be long anyway, they prefer to add a segment or lots of MQMs rather than waiting at an airport.

Others would plan to use the long connection as a way to get a "free" day in NYC or someplace else that's an interesting spot to spend some time.
Bermuda is only two hours from most eastern US airports. It would take more time for me to fly to LAX than Bermuda. It will be a work/vacation. I think I'll call and see if I can get better flights than what delta.com is giving me.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL agents aren't going to magically find anything that can't be found on Google Flights or ITA Matrix. There are far more flight options to LAX than there are to BDA, so not exactly a fair comparison.

Using Google flights and setting the duration slider to 9 hours (to filter out overnights) show the following as the shortest:

11/20 MSN->ATL->BDA DL 1981,656 6h 50m
11/25 BDA->BOS->DTW->MSN DL 126,1523,870 8h 00m

$994.56

Alternatively, you can avoid the double connect on the return and get a lower price by flying out of MKE (a bit longer travel time on the return):

11/20 MKE->ATL->BDA DL 2539,656 5h 40m
11/25 BDA->BOS->MKE DL 126,3843 8h 34m

$775.06

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 30, 2016 at 4:55 pm
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
DL agents aren't going to magically find anything that can't be found on Google Flights or ITA Matrix. There are far more flight options to LAX than there are to BDA, so not exactly a fair comparison.

Using Google flights and setting the duration slider to 9 hours (to filter out overnights) show the following as the shortest:

11/20 MSN->ATL->BDA DL 1981,656 6h 50m
11/25 BDA->BOS->DTW->MSN DL 126,1523,870 8h 00m

$994.56

Alternatively, you can avoid the double connect on the return and get a lower price by flying out of MKE (a bit longer travel time on the return):

11/20 MKE->ATL->BDA DL 2539,656 5h 40m
11/25 BDA->BOS->MKE DL 126,3843 8h 34m

$775.06
Thanks for solid advice.
my folks live closer to Madison than Milwaukee, but not that much further. Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
BDA flights really drop off during the autumn and winter, given the weather. AA will give you some really crAAzy connection times (8 hours)!

I'm not really sure how DL maintains their service from BOS, but its convenient (really enjoy the Fairmont Southampton). Anyways, if you can get to BOS, there is that DL non-stop and the fares are generally reasonable that time of year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.