Wiki Posts
Search

New "outdoor" LED experience at ATL

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
New "outdoor" LED experience at ATL

I assume part of the ATL $6B expansion/upgrade, but has anybody taken notice of the neat addition to concourse A-B?

I normally walk between concourses and have noticed over the summer the ceiling of AB slowly go these hanging, digital leaves.

Now - in the past month or so - they've install an LED walls in the ceiling and turned on colored LED lights on the tops of the "leaves"

The LED wall has a video (digital or recording?) of birds flying over. It looks like a break in the tree foliage with a digital mapping of the 'leaves' cutting off where the LED display is. But standing there long enough and you'll see clouds passing over, several birds, pairs of birds and an entire flock pass over.

There is also an audio track that goes with the trees/birds theme throughout the walk.

It's quite a nice addition compared to the corridor long boxes that used to live there while working on the conveyor belt system.

Here's a cellphone video of it:
(maybe EditingFX can make a better one )
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:04 pm

Oh that's nice. Makes me think of the light tunnel in DTW. I'll check it out next time I fly.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
Nice, and a guarantee we don't have to worry about the "Foo" bird.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
More about this installation, titled "Flight Paths", from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/06/...oming-to-life/

It was installed at a cost of just over $4 million, and has been over a decade in the making...
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Ido love that tunnel. I like the fair part too. I often just go to a and b to experience the instillation.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL PM
This is a very cool install, can't wait to see it in person!

Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst
Ido love that tunnel. I like the fair part too. I often just go to a and b to experience the instillation.
The DTW tunnel, shockingly, still looks good after running for 10+ years. You can tell some of the lights are on their last legs, but yet, it still looks great.

They really need to replace the light fixtures with new ones from this decade though, and clean all the dust that's accumulated behind the panels... time for an upgrade!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Very cool!
I love the DTW tunnel as well. I had no idea it was almost 20 years old. It sounds geeky to say it, but growing up as a kid on dystopian 1970s science fiction movies, and wondering what "the future" would really be like, walking through that tunnel brings back those childhood memories... then, I'm faced with the jarring reality of the real future as I wonder if my upgrade will clear or if I'm going to be stuck in economy misery between two former linebackers who's glory days are long past them
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Very cool!
I love the DTW tunnel as well. I had no idea it was almost 20 years old. It sounds geeky to say it, but growing up as a kid on dystopian 1970s science fiction movies, and wondering what "the future" would really be like, walking through that tunnel brings back those childhood memories... then, I'm faced with the jarring reality of the real future as I wonder if my upgrade will clear or if I'm going to be stuck in economy misery between two former linebackers who's glory days are long past them
It's very Logan's Run.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Love it! Can't wait to see it live.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Very cool!
installed in 2001, so 15 years old now ;-)

http://www.colorkinetics.com/Showcas...it-Airport.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.