Wiki Posts
Search

Stuck in the middle?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Stuck in the middle?

Delta.dumb is at it again! Looks like I'll have to call in for this one....I can't believe it would not let me pick a regular coach instead of the C+ middle it put me in! Yippiee!
Attached Images  
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM
Comfort Plus is a completely separate class of service now, just like
first class is completely separate. It is a different booking code (W), hence
you cannot sit in a regular or preferred seat in coach without calling
Delta and having yourself moved back to your original class of service. That is why if I can't get a Comfort Plus seat that I like at booking, I don't opt in for an upgrade when and if it becomes available as I would prefer to keep what I know is decent.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was this an "upgrade" to C+?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Delta.dumb is at it again! Looks like I'll have to call in for this one....I can't believe it would not let me pick a regular coach instead of the C+ middle it put me in! Yippiee!
You can only select a seat in C+ if you asked for an upgrade; that's the way it works. My question is why you wanted an upgrade to C+ if there were only middle seats available, because that is what you will get.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM
careful...in undoing my similar "upgrade", res got rid of the aisle "upgrade" I wanted to keep and couldn't get it back, but offered to put me on the c+ "Upgrade" list. I want some of what they are smoking with this.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
My question is why you wanted an upgrade to C+ if there were only middle seats available, because that is what you will get.
I was in a hurry and forgot to look at the seat map......I know better too.....
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Existing active thread on the front page --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rred-seat.html
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
You can only select a seat in C+ if you asked for an upgrade; that's the way it works. My question is why you wanted an upgrade to C+ if there were only middle seats available, because that is what you will get.
I don't believe OP requested the UG; I think OP bought C+ outright. And what kind of stinks about the new system of buying C+ for the entire trip versus segment by segment is that there may be one segment with only C+ middles available while another segment has desirable C+ seats available. I'm guessing this can at least be fixed by a call to DL but it can be a hassle to call, especially if you're non-status and there's a long wait to speak to an agent.

Maybe it's a DL protecting itself thing (it prevents someone from selecting a non-C+ seat and then shouting "I paid for C+ and then selected a seat I didn't know wasn't C+!!!!), but you'd think DL would be all too happy to let you buy C+ but then select a regular Y seat as that would possibly allow them to resell that C+ seat to someone else.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I don't believe OP requested the UG; I think OP bought C+ outright. And what kind of stinks about the new system of buying C+ for the entire trip versus segment by segment is that there may be one segment with only C+ middles available while another segment has desirable C+ seats available. I'm guessing this can at least be fixed by a call to DL but it can be a hassle to call, especially if you're non-status and there's a long wait to speak to an agent.

Maybe it's a DL protecting itself thing (it prevents someone from selecting a non-C+ seat and then shouting "I paid for C+ and then selected a seat I didn't know wasn't C+!!!!), but you'd think DL would be all too happy to let you buy C+ but then select a regular Y seat as that would possibly allow them to resell that C+ seat to someone else.
I definitely think they should let you segment it out or let you pick a regular coach seat.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

It was an "UG" using Deltas terms, but I do not consider a middle seat an UG. It is a hassle to call, even with status. It was easily taken care of, but it's just dumb you have to call at all.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:19 am

I really wish Delta would go to a segment-by-segment basis on this!

B6 is our office's #1 domestic choice, DL is #2 (when B6 won't work out). Even B6's website lets you pick it by segment.

There have been quite a few times where we skipped booking people in C+ altogether because of the lack of desirable seats left.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by KRSW
I really wish Delta would go to a segment-by-segment basis on this!

B6 is our office's #1 domestic choice, DL is #2 (when B6 won't work out). Even B6's website lets you pick it by segment.

There have been quite a few times where we skipped booking people in C+ altogether because of the lack of desirable seats left.
Uh, it is. If you do not have in our My Delta or at checkout the C+ upgrade box checked you can after ticketing choose segment by segment to #SideGrade to C+
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Uh, it is. If you do not have in our My Delta or at checkout the C+ upgrade box checked you can after ticketing choose segment by segment to #SideGrade to C+
As a "complimentary Medallion Upgrade," it's available segment by segment. When purchasing it outright, it is not. With DL having flex mixed cabin pricing for outbound and return, you could mix it that way, but you can't mix by individual segment. If you want to purchase it outright, but all that are left are undesirable C+ seats on a given segment, you will have to call to have yourself downgraded on the segment you don't want the C+ seat.

Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
It was an "UG" using Deltas terms, but I do not consider a middle seat an UG. It is a hassle to call, even with status. It was easily taken care of, but it's just dumb you have to call at all.
Gotcha - the screen capture in the OP said "You purchased Comfort+" so I assumed that meant actually purchased, but guess that DL puts that terminology whether you pay or are upgraded. But I agree - unless it's from a regular middle seat, an "upgrade" to a C+ middle seat is not an "upgrade" IMO. The way I manage my upgrades is I have my profile set to NOT upgrade me automatically. After booking, if desirable C+ seats are available, I check to see if C+ upgrades are currently available by doing a dummy booking and then pull-up my reservation and request the upgrades segment by segment where there's a good seat available.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can always ask for a broken fare as a way to purchase W for some segments and regular coach for others but (1) this is likely to be more expensive, (2) it can limit SDC and SDS options, and (3) you probably have to call DL to do it unless W is sold out on some segments and then hope for a good agent.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can always ask for a broken fare as a way to purchase W for some segments and regular coach for others but (1) this is likely to be more expensive, (2) it can limit SDC and SDS options, and (3) you probably have to call DL to do it unless W is sold out on some segments and then hope for a good agent.
...this is exactly why this new C+ change is (and will continue to be) a disaster.

I'm all for the new changes announced, but I really don't see why they made the change to a fare based product in the first place. Would be very interesting to see their C+ revenue numbers before/after the change...

If they had actually created a new class, that'd be one thing. But these are just economy seats! No amount of seat embroidery or free booze will change that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.