Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

VS Schedule Change Misses Last SFO Connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VS Schedule Change Misses Last SFO Connection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by bennos
Also, if the flights aren't until March there's a good chance of yet another schedule change...
Good advice. It was odd that the following day VS' LHR-SFO flight remained at the same time. My daughter lives in San Jose so might be able to convince her to pick me up for a night and save the hotel costs if I can convince DM RA to shift the SFO-SLC flight until the morning.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:41 pm

It looks like most days VS runs the 789 to LAX. It looks like most days the schedule works to connect back to SLC. It's a little longer but not all that much.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by HohoGAP
Good advice. It was odd that the following day VS' LHR-SFO flight remained at the same time. My daughter lives in San Jose so might be able to convince her to pick me up for a night and save the hotel costs if I can convince DM RA to shift the SFO-SLC flight until the morning.
You could take the BA LHR-SJC non stop, it's 787-9 then onto SLC via DL
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Resolved Missed Connection in SFO Due to VS Schedule Change

After taking all comments into account I finally called DM line to try and resolve with an agreeable agent. She could not have been nicer and offered me almost any options to resolve (given the length of time prior to departure). DM offered re-booking a day earlier/later, adjusting the schedule to stay another night at LHR or SFO, my option without any hotel, or putting me on the DL NS to SLC (767 which I didn't want).

I tried to cajole DM to upgrade me to J on the DL NS to SLC since I was on W on VS, however, I wasn't able to pull that off even using my best efforts. Options didn't really work so DM offered full refund, which I accepted. I originally heard it was going to be a credit for future travel and didn't want that, as I have few trips I book in excess of $1,650.00, but she said it would be a full refund to my CC. Refund hasn't shown up on my CC, but she said expect 4 days to process. Thanks for all of the advice.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
While OP is not entitled to request a change based on aircraft type, with a now no-longer valid itinerary, if OP is willing to eat the hotel cost at SFO (which can be had for < $200), I suspect a good DL agent could maintain the VS flight while moving the connection (presumably to SEA) to the next morning. I don't think you need to emphasize losing "true premium economy" -- even by DL's CoC moving to the SEA n/s would be a downgrade in service subject to refund (I've played that card before when I had an AF W replaced with a DL Y due to schedule change). Especially as a DM talking to the DM line, you could simply say "I want to fly the 787" and they'll probably get it and try to accommodate.
I agree that the solution is an overnight in SFO. Surely, OP can find something worth doing in San Francisco. The departure to SEA only needs to be within 24 hours of arrival, so there a possibility of a daytime activity before the SEA flight. One downside is that BART is absurdly expensive to downtown San Francisco.

On the other hand, I've flown AeroMexico and Japan Airlines's 787's (biz-class). While the plane is nice; it isn't THAT nice compared with other aircraft. (I realize OP is in PE, and doesn't want Delta's fake PE, which is economy comfort or whatever they call it nowadays.)

Last edited by Bowgie; Sep 26, 2016 at 1:06 pm
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I tried to cajole DM to upgrade me to J on the DL NS to SLC since I was on W on VS
Yeah, unfortunately according to DL W maps to Y for IROP/etc purposes, so at best you would get a (partial) refund. IME DL will not upgrade partner W to J in these circumstances.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, unfortunately according to DL W maps to Y for IROP/etc purposes, so at best you would get a (partial) refund. IME DL will not upgrade partner W to J in these circumstances.
Agreed, although I tried. Still waiting for the full refund (not ECert) which is supposed to show up by 9/29/17. Was able to find re-routing at times that were acceptable on DL metal and 1/2 the fare of the W fare on VS. It's only C+ but I can get my bulkhead/exit aisle seat which is fine for 50% off. I'll save the 787-9 experience for another day.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
After taking all comments into account I finally called DM line to try and resolve with an agreeable agent. She could not have been nicer and offered me almost any options to resolve (given the length of time prior to departure). DM offered re-booking a day earlier/later, adjusting the schedule to stay another night at LHR or SFO, my option without any hotel, or putting me on the DL NS to SLC (767 which I didn't want).

I tried to cajole DM to upgrade me to J on the DL NS to SLC since I was on W on VS, however, I wasn't able to pull that off even using my best efforts. Options didn't really work so DM offered full refund, which I accepted. I originally heard it was going to be a credit for future travel and didn't want that, as I have few trips I book in excess of $1,650.00, but she said it would be a full refund to my CC. Refund hasn't shown up on my CC, but she said expect 4 days to process. Thanks for all of the advice.
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't another routing where VS uses the 787-9 have worked? (for example: LHR-LAX on VS, connecting to DL for LAX-SLC)
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't another routing where VS uses the 787-9 have worked? (for example: LHR-LAX on VS, connecting to DL for LAX-SLC)
The VS flight to LAX (DL 4404) did not arrive in time to connect to a DL flight back to SLC on same day (I presume the 45 minute connection wasn't sufficient). Wasn't an option per DM line. SEA connection was on Delta metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.