Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy Transatlantic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Premium Economy Transatlantic

I'm looking to book a Skyteam flight from BNA > LHR and then DUB > BNA in May. I've got about 140k Skymiles and am booking for two people. I'd prefer to do premium economy but it looks like I can't do that on Virgin Atlantic using miles. Do any of the partners let you do this on transatlantic flights? Can you get an economy ticket on points and pay for an upgrade w/ cash?

I should note I have gold medallion on delta.

Last edited by stradivariuslife; Aug 22, 2016 at 3:55 pm Reason: Added status
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

*Bump*
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stradivariuslife
I'm looking to book a Skyteam flight from BNA > LHR and then DUB > BNA in May. I've got about 140k Skymiles and am booking for two people. I'd prefer to do premium economy but it looks like I can't do that on Virgin Atlantic using miles. Do any of the partners let you do this on transatlantic flights? Can you get an economy ticket on points and pay for an upgrade w/ cash?

I should note I have gold medallion on delta.
Since DL doesn't have PE, DL doesn't have awards for PE, just like for IFC. You can pay for a DoD upgrade, assuming one is available still. However you can't upgrade your ticket otherwise be for hand.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Virgin has a counter near gate F5 where they sell upgrades to Premium Economy and Upper Class. I've heard reports that you can buy up to PE for $300.

In the DL-VS joint venture, GM doesn't seem to mean anything to VS.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by ND76
In the DL-VS joint venture, GM doesn't seem to mean anything to VS.
Nor does DM!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Nor does DM!
While no more LHR Clubhouse when in Y, there's still plenty of benefits. Still get access to other Clubhouses when in Y.

Otherwise, not sure what you're missing out on that wouldn't get when flying DL metal.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
While no more LHR Clubhouse when in Y, there's still plenty of benefits. Still get access to other Clubhouses when in Y.

Otherwise, not sure what you're missing out on that wouldn't get when flying DL metal.
Especially if one believes that
Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy offers a separate cabin and slightly different amenities than Delta Comfort+™.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

So it sounds like I should avoid VA and just fly DL both ways. I'm gathering I cannot purchase Comfort + using points though or purchase economy with points and upgrade with cash?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:38 pm

C+ has its own award class. Have you tried a search ?
Nothing to write home about, though. It is not Premium Economy by any stretch of imagination.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thesaints
C+ has its own award class.
Not for TATL flights.

C+ on TATL flights have very little added value. I've voluntarily switched from a C+ seat to an aisle seat back in main cabin with an empty middle next to me several times. Don't regret it one bit.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
Not for TATL flights.

C+ on TATL flights have very little added value.
Not a terribly expensive buy-up, though. I've paid and not on different trips. Depends mostly for me if I can get exit row free. But it may be your best of a limited set of options if you want to burn DL miles and need/want extra leg room. After booking your TATL with miles you should be able to pay $$ for any desired C+ via the seat map.

On a day return flight, I probably wouldn't, esp if it is two of you and you can get window pair. Again, that's if one of you isn't 6'4" or something.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:03 pm

I think starting September 19th C+ has become its own class on international as well.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stradivariuslife
So it sounds like I should avoid VA and just fly DL both ways. I'm gathering I cannot purchase Comfort + using points though or purchase economy with points and upgrade with cash?
One it's VS, VA flies down under. 2nd, yes you can't purchase VS PE (this is not C+, but rather a separate cabin, with roomier seats) with DL miles. You can upgrade DoD for cash, but otherwise that's it.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by thesaints
I think starting September 19th C+ has become its own class on international as well.
That is correct for TPAC flights but not yet for TATL.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:28 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Here is a link to my review of VS Premium Economy:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...omy-vs-af.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.