Community
Wiki Posts
Search

URGENT Q - Carseat in 777 DeltaOne?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The black nub is a magnet. Not sure how but supposedly it causes the air bag to turn off.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by bstndance
From an FA friend:

Car seats can not be in Delta One on 777, 330, 747 with airbag seat belts.

However on seats with airbag seat belts on the 321, 767, 737 and 717 the seat belt extender deactivates the airbag.
The 717 has airbag seatbelts?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL PM
Every D1 seat I've seen recently has an Amsafe seatbelt with this warning on the back, which indicates that they can be safely disabled with extenders:
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 887
Size:  124.7 KB

HOWEVER, IIRC, DL's 777 fleet was one of the first to get the airbag seat belts, so they may have some older ones labeled like this, indicating no child seats:
Name:  image.png
Views: 1013
Size:  1.85 MB

If indeed your plane has these older seatbelts, as DL's website seems to indicate, you'll need to move to Y to use your child seats.

since your children are under two though, you *could* instead opt for infant in arms and carry them the whole trip in your seat...

I would call the US 800 # though (use Skype; is free). As others have said, they usually block a few seats for situations like this, and the sooner they can reaccommodate you the better. (I'm sure someone would be happy for an OP UP for your original seats too ;-))
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:26 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_switch
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The black nub is a magnet. Not sure how but supposedly it causes the air bag to turn off.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by appleguru
Every D1 seat I've seen recently has an Amsafe seatbelt with this warning on the back, which indicates that they can be safely disabled with extenders:

HOWEVER, IIRC, DL's 777 fleet was one of the first to get the airbag seat belts, so they may have some older ones labeled like this, indicating no child seats:

If indeed your plane has these older seatbelts, as DL's website seems to indicate, you'll need to move to Y to use your child seats.

since your children are under two though, you *could* instead opt for infant in arms and carry them the whole trip in your seat...

I would call the US 800 # though (use Skype; is free). As others have said, they usually block a few seats for situations like this, and the sooner they can reaccommodate you the better. (I'm sure someone would be happy for an OP UP for your original seats too ;-))
I believe the 777 can't be deactivated is the reason. Unlike all other seat belts the D1 777 uses normal car seat push to open type belts. Also since it's the oldest version of D1 seat in use they may not have come up with a solution to disable when they first installed them.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I just "inspected" the seat belt on a DL A330-200 (with rows 7, 8, and 9 as the minicabin) and the label on it says that you should always use a seat belt extender with a car seat to de-activate the airbag (not a direct quote).
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I just "inspected" the seat belt on a DL A330-200 (with rows 7, 8, and 9 as the minicabin) and the label on it says that you should always use a seat belt extender with a car seat to de-activate the airbag (not a direct quote).
My bet is *some* of the A330, 777, etc planes have/had the older seatbelt that couldn't be deactivated, but that as planes have been refurbished over the years, those have been replaced with the newer style ones. So, if you 'get lucky' and end up on a plane with the new seatbelts, you should be fine. But you don't really have any way of knowing until you're on the plane.

With that said, I have NEVER seen one of the older style airbag seatbelts on a delta flight. I *have* been on several 767, 747, and A330 flights in D1 (not on the 777 though, that I'm aware of). They all have the newer style airbag belts, which CAN be disabled with an extender and are fine for child seats. If DL has in fact updated the entire fleet (as I suspect they have at this point), they really should update the website.

Not sure if the OP has already flown, but personally, I would "risk it", and if by some stroke of terrible bad luck you end up on a plane with the old belts that can't be disabled (just check the label on the back), DL will be happy to switch seats with some Y PAX for you I'm sure ;-)
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by bstndance
From an FA friend:

Car seats can not be in Delta One on 777, 330, 747 with airbag seat belts.

However on seats with airbag seat belts on the 321, 767, 737 and 717 the seat belt extender deactivates the airbag.
This. My understanding is the issue is carseats can only be used in forward-facing seats, and with the airbag disabled. The 777/747/330 have angled seats, so carseats are a no-go regardless of the seatbelt airbag.

You can disable the airbag with the appropriate extender, but be warned that NOT ALL AIRCRAFT will have them on board, and NOT ALL STATIONS will have them easily available, so even if it should be possible, it might not be supported on your particular flight. Nothing to be done in such a situation but complain after the fact--been there, done that

Regarding the 321/737/717, I believe the airbags are in the bulkhead seats.

Finally, I will note that the Travel with Children forum has all of this information, and is likely the better place for these posts/threads in the future, Mods.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I can only imagine that this was an intentional choice to keep children out of J.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I can only imagine that this was an intentional choice to keep children out of J.
Nope safety. A brain moving forward to back in the skull is lots more likely to not have damage then side to side. It why in car impacts side hits are so much more deadly. There's no room for it to move side to side. A baby is of course even more susceptible to brain damage.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:03 am

Nope safety. A brain moving forward to back in the skull is lots more likely to not have damage then side to side. It why in car impacts side hits are so much more deadly. There's no room for it to move side to side. A baby is of course even more susceptible to brain damage.
Sorry, I don't follow, help me understand what you are saying.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Sorry, I don't follow, help me understand what you are saying.
The reason a car seat isn't allowed in angled seats at all is because in an accident a side to side movement of the brain is much more devastating then front to back. There's a bit extra space front to back for it to move. Side to side there's really none and the brain ends of hitting the skull. Same issue but different reason with babies necks. Basically even if the seat belt airbag can be turned off, is still not safe for a car seat. It's should always be aligned in the direction of travel and with the baby facing backwards.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:44 am

The reason a car seat isn't allowed in angled seats at all is because in an accident a side to side movement of the brain is much more devastating then front to back. There's a bit extra space front to back for it to move. Side to side there's really none and the brain ends of hitting the skull. Same issue but different reason with babies necks. Basically even if the seat belt airbag can be turned off, is still not safe for a car seat. It's should always be aligned in the direction of travel and with the baby facing backwards.
Got it. But DL also bans child seats on the 767's right? And these are not angled. Perhaps this is to allow for equipment swaps?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Got it. But DL also bans child seats on the 767's right? And these are not angled. Perhaps this is to allow for equipment swaps?
The 767 is allowed as long as you use the seat belt extender to deactivate the airbag.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:54 pm

The 767 is allowed as long as you use the seat belt extender to deactivate the airbag.
Not according to Delta's website:

When using a child safety seat, don’t select seats in the following areas:

Aisle seats
Emergency exit rows
Any seat one row forward or one row back from an emergency exit row
Bulkhead seats when the safety seat is a combination car seat and stroller
Flat bed seats in the Delta One™ area of the following aircraft: Airbus A330-200 or A330-300; Boeing 777, 767 or 747 aircraft*

*Child Safety Seats are not permitted in this area since the airbag seat belt cannot be deactivated.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_.../children.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.