Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Took off with 8 open seats in First!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by yohanson
According to the OP, they took off at least 2 hours late so I guess their on time departure had no bearing on their departure slot. As far as I know, all the GA needs to do is hit a couple of keys to process the upgrades and it will spit out the boarding passes. They could have processed them at T-5 and brought them down with the paperwork and let the FAs hand out the upgraded BPs.
The flight's on time departure has everything to do with their departure slot. Had the GA's decided to upgrade eight passengers to FC, that could've delayed their push back, thus causing them to be farther back in line for takeoff. OP stated that there were already 40+ planes ahead of them and that was leaving on-time. If they missed their departure slot, the line would've been longer, then you have to consider pilots timing out, etc. The crew, in this case, chose the necessary steps to leave on time in order to avoid further delays. Would the OP rather be seated in first class, but have a much longer delay vs. 3hrs?

The OP also stated that they arrived at the flight during zone 1 boarding. Explain to me why the GA's would waste their time upgrading someone if there is a good possibility they won't even make the flight?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Navig8R
The flight's on time departure has everything to do with their departure slot. Had the GA's decided to upgrade eight passengers to FC, that could've delayed their push back, thus causing them to be farther back in line for takeoff. OP stated that there were already 40+ planes ahead of them and that was leaving on-time. If they missed their departure slot, the line would've been longer, then you have to consider pilots timing out, etc. The crew, in this case, chose the necessary steps to leave on time in order to avoid further delays. Would the OP rather be seated in first class, but have a much longer delay vs. 3hrs?

The OP also stated that they arrived at the flight during zone 1 boarding. Explain to me why the GA's would waste their time upgrading someone if there is a good possibility they won't even make the flight?
With that in mind, the GA definitely made the right choice here. Once the plane has taken off though, would it hurt the weight/balance calculations to give the FA the list and let them move people up (if that truly was a consideration)?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
They could have processed them at T-5 and brought them down with the paperwork and let the FAs hand out the upgraded BPs.
Does anyone remember my recent post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...thing-ugs.html

Here's the short version with some of the less important stuff cut out:

Originally Posted by davetravels
Security was CRAYZEE!!! Must've been 100+ people in the regular line - PreCheck had 2 people in line.

Just before boarding, I was asking the RedCoat at the podium about the current policy - YBYL, or pull from Y. I VERY POLITELY told him that I was in the Y door exit row and needed bin space. He said that, the official policy was YBYL, but, he would pull from Y. Cool!

Fast forward to about T-13 or 15. The GA boards and hands the manifest to the lead FA and I heard her say . . . .

We have LOTS of empty seats up front. Security is CRAZY today! If I have to close the door, move these people up - - <and she pointed to what I assume was the UG list on the manifest>.

About T-5, the GA boarded and said to move everyone up. 9 UGs from onboard! Yay! An EXTREMELY lucky day, I'd say!

The GA could have easily given those seats to nonrevs, but she didn't.

The FAs could have easily given those seats to nonrevs after the door closed, and nobody would have been the wiser!

9 onboard UGs - done from a list printed by the GA - - and - - We still left 4 minutes early!! Why can't this be done all the time?!?

Thanx, DL, for keeping your end of the bargain today!
I commended the lead FA for "Doing the right thing". I told her that I knew that she could have UG'ed all non-revs.

Last edited by davetravels; Jul 29, 2016 at 11:32 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by zedthedeadpoet

Nope. Not true. I've been upgraded many times after I had already boarded and taken my seat in coach.
That is the exception, not the rule. If you board you board the aircraft you have given up your chance at an upgrade. That's the policy.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
That is the exception, not the rule. If you board you board the aircraft you have given up your chance at an upgrade. That's the policy.
I've been upgraded after boarding 10-12 times. A couple of those were with NWA where policy was to pull people from the back according to the UL.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member

Typical upgrades for seats vacated by noshows happen at T-15. Zone 1 has usually boarded by then. Pulling upgrades from the rear is done by the other two major domestic airlines all the time and was done by NWA. It doesn't take any longer. Read Davetravels' post. Perhaps some lower Medallions would prefer an F seat to go empty than a DM to get their earned upgrade.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
I'm hoping Widgets will chime in - about the best source of GA information these days.

But in answer to your question - Yes I'd be posses too were I in your shoes.
Nothing to see here, really. It would have been nice if the gate agent gave the Flight Attendant the upgrade list, but there were no shenanigans. Just keep complaining until FAs get the upgrade list on their SkyPros. I think it'll happen with enough feedback through Delta.com or Customer Care.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:08 am

Typical upgrades for seats vacated by noshows happen at T-15. Zone 1 has usually boarded by then. Pulling upgrades from the rear is done by the other two major domestic airlines all the time and was done by NWA. It doesn't take any longer. Read Davetravels' post. Perhaps some lower Medallions would prefer an F seat to go empty than a DM to get their earned upgrade.
Huh? What does my status have to do with FC seats going out empty? Remember, we (and/or our company) pay for us to achieve medallion status. It's not like we've earned this from a talent or skill, so not sure why "higher" medallions need to act high and mighty. But, if it makes you feel better about yourself, more power to you.

Yes, Dave's story was nice, but that scenario didn't occur under IROPS, so it doesn't apply in this case.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Yes, Dave's story was nice, but that scenario didn't occur under IROPS, so it doesn't apply in this case.
Sorry, but, as I re-read the OP - twice - it appears that the door closed on time. The only mention of anything related to IROPS is this:

Originally Posted by stone36
We then sat at the gate for about 20 minutes waiting for congestion to clear so we could back out. We then sat for another 1:40 waiting to take off.
I don't understand how anyone can stick up for a GA that leaves 8 F seats empty. One seat, I can possibly understand, waiting for a last second runner, but, the appearance of this is totally absurd to Medallions who see the HUGE banner plastered on the Medallion page that says:

UNLIMITED COMPLIMENTARY MEDALLION UPGRADES

I can't even see it being laziness. It's beyond laziness. It has to be a TOTAL non-understanding of Medallion benefits and (so-called) loyalty, IMO.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, it sounds like a GA's willful refusal to do his/her job, perhaps out of a passive/aggressive desire to give his/her employer's elite customers the finger. IMO the GA should be fired.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, it sounds like a GA's willful refusal to do his/her job, perhaps out of a passive/aggressive desire to give his/her employer's elite customers the finger. IMO the GA should be fired.
Well, I'd say that, that's a little extreme, particularly when the ambiguous policy allows for it.

I still can't EVER understand how people here can CONSTANTLY stick up for Delta, when, the other 2 of "The Big 3" - (not to mention former NW & CO) - manage to fill every seat at the last minute with upgrades from Y, and still manage to get the flights out on time - - AND - - the GAs know that they HAVE TO DO IT!!!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
No surprise here. Your post have a long history of nothing but contempt for the Delta employees.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
No surprise here. Your post have a long history of nothing but contempt for the Delta employees.
Only the ones that dont do their jobs and shirk their responsibilities.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:36 am

Sorry, but, as I re-read the OP - twice - it appears that the door closed on time. The only mention of anything related to IROPS is this
Exactly. Had they spent the extra time upgrading eight passengers, especially if they were already on board, the flight might have been delayed even more.

I can't even see it being laziness. It's beyond laziness. It has to be a TOTAL non-understanding of Medallion benefits and (so-called) loyalty, IMO.
There are some bad eggs in all walks of life, but to chalk this up to laziness, with very little information, is a bit uncalled for. In fact, the OP even stated that the FA mentioned that it was the pilots call. Even the OP came up with this conclusion:

“look we have 8 open seats in first, but if we move them we are going to take a delay, what should we do?"

Doesn't sound like laziness to me.

Do you honestly believe this is the case?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:45 am

Exactly. Had they spent the extra time upgrading eight passengers, especially if they were already on board, the flight might have been delayed even more.
Which is EXACTLY the point of my story, and MANY others that have been posted here for YEARS! Is simply DOESN'T delay flights to UG pax who have already boarded. Period.

The amount of bad will that's generated when this happens is enormous, IMO, and Delta likely never really hears about it. If they can't honor the program's perks, they shouldn't offer them.

Last edited by davetravels; Jul 30, 2016 at 11:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.