Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Took off with 8 open seats in First!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by enviroian
I have read here that once you board you lose any chance of an upgrade. Is this true?
Originally Posted by zedthedeadpoet

Nope. Not true. I've been upgraded many times after I had already boarded and taken my seat in coach.
Originally Posted by fti
That doesn't mean it is not true.
Strictly speaking, zed's statement is accurate. It's not true you lose any chance. The "some chance" depends on whether the GA follows YBYL. So I think we're all in agreement in the end
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by stone36
Gate agent come down with the manifest, talked to two or three FA's, looked at the list, looked at the cabin, looked at the list, etc. and then she walked out, they closed the door...
Just curious, but why didn't you ask about an upgrade in the gate area? Were passengers 1&2 on the UG list moved to first? If not, upgrades might have been closed on this flight to expedite the boarding process.

The only conclusion I can draw is that the conversation mentioned above essentially said “look we have 8 open seats in first, but if we move them we are going to take a delay, what should we do?” And then they made the wrong choice.
Sounds completely logical to me. If gate ops/FA's spend time moving passengers to first instead of focusing on preparing the cabin for departure, yes, it could cause further delays.

Would you be pissed?
Not really. Weather wreaks all kinds of havoc on airline ops and aircraft have extremely tight departure/arrival windows when ground stops are in place. I'm just ready to get to my destination after long delays and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to expedite the departure.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:15 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Navig8R
Just curious, but why didn't you ask about an upgrade in the gate area?
Given the weather issues OP alluded to, I'm going to guess there were a lot of IROPS that day, so it's probably the case that all of those seats were assigned to people who misconnected.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by davetravels
LOL!

Yeah, I've had many a gate agent tell me NOT to wait to board because it slows things down. I see them bring people up about 1 out of 3 flights I am on... You used to lose it once you boarded, but the app maintains the list and even re-prioritizes up until the doors are closed...

time to get more popcorn...
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fti
Yes, that is supposed to be true.

That doesn't mean it is not true.

Exactly. This has not only been my experience, but has been confirmed multiple times by Delta after an inquiry asking for clarification.
Delta recently (I don't remember when, but in the last two months) announced a change in policy to "agent discretion." In other words, agents can come on and upgrade if they have time and choose.

Since then, my MO when I'm anywhere in the picture of an upgrade (which I basically define as n+1 to n+3 (where n is the number of seats available) is to approach the GA at a quiet moment and ask how they would prefer me to handle the upgrade. That way we're both on the same page — and so he or she knows me as a person with a face, and not just a line on the screen. Worked in my favor on an MSP-BOS flight this week where I was N+1, and there was one no show. The redcoat brought me my boarding pass on the plane.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:42 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
my MO when I'm anywhere in the picture of an upgrade is to approach the GA at a quiet moment and ask how they would prefer me to handle the upgrade.
I got a good chuckle out of your lingo. I thought the GAs handled the UGs!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Since then, my MO when I'm anywhere in the picture of an upgrade (which I basically define as n+1 to n+3 (where n is the number of seats available) is to approach the GA at a quiet moment and ask how they would prefer me to handle the upgrade. That way we're both on the same page
That's good advice and I usually do something similar. This particular flight I had a short connection (when I got there they were on zone 1) and they announced the flight was completely full. I had a roll aboard and wanted to get it close to my seat so I just boarded.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
That was the other funny part the pilot at one point actually said we were #35 for take off so another 30 minutes or so 75 minutes later...
Yeah, they don't really know how deep in line they are at that point. It's just a guess. Due to the weather on the departure routes, they were likely running MIT (Miles in Trail) spacing between aircraft going over X fix to give pilots more room to deviate around storms. That can really slow things down and ATC doesn't usually share that with the pilots (although if they have a good dispatcher, they can look it up on the ATC website). If it gets bad enough, they'll close a fix for a while. Then you're sitting indefinitely.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Do keep in mind also that sometimes in WX IROPS there is a very narrow window in which ATC has assigned a flight to push back. A delay +/- 5 minutes to re-seat 8 people may have jeopardized this slot and the crew's time.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just curious, but why didn't you ask about an upgrade in the gate area? Were passengers 1&2 on the UG list moved to first? If not, upgrades might have been closed on this flight to expedite the boarding process.

Sounds completely logical to me. If gate ops/FA's spend time moving passengers to first instead of focusing on preparing the cabin for departure, yes, it could cause further delays.

Not really. Weather wreaks all kinds of havoc on airline ops and aircraft have extremely tight departure/arrival windows when ground stops are in place. I'm just ready to get to my destination after long delays and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to expedite the departure.
I always find it amusing when lower tier elites, who don't have much chance of getting an upgrade, are all in favor of GAs letting FC seats fly empty because they claim that to do otherwise might possibly perhaps lead to a very slight delay.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Bad GA. If they had the time to have a chat with several FAs, they could've upgraded the pax.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I always find it amusing when lower tier elites, who don't have much chance of getting an upgrade, are all in favor of GAs letting FC seats fly empty because they claim that to do otherwise might possibly perhaps lead to a very slight delay.
I always find it amusing when, passengers that spend a significant portion of their lives on a airplane, suddenly become experts on the inter workings of the airline industry.

Take some time and listen to JFK's ground feed on LiveATC during IROPS and you will see the razor thin margins airlines operate on when there is a weather event. A "slight" delay can cause an aircraft to lose their departure slot, but it's ok, as long as you get to sit upfront.

http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=KJFK
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
I'm hoping Widgets will chime in - about the best source of GA information these days.

But in answer to your question - Yes I'd be posses too were I in your shoes.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Bad GA. If they had the time to have a chat with several FAs, they could've upgraded the pax.
Says who? According to the OP, they were finalizing the passenger manifest so they could close the door to depart. They weren't discussing who was voted off of the Bachelorette. Geez
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I always find it amusing when, passengers that spend a significant portion of their lives on a airplane, suddenly become experts on the inter workings of the airline industry.

Take some time and listen to JFK's ground feed on LiveATC during IROPS and you will see the razor thin margins airlines operate on when there is a weather event. A "slight" delay can cause an aircraft to lose their departure slot, but it's ok, as long as you get to sit upfront.

http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=KJFK
According to the OP, they took off at least 2 hours late so I guess their on time departure had no bearing on their departure slot. As far as I know, all the GA needs to do is hit a couple of keys to process the upgrades and it will spit out the boarding passes. They could have processed them at T-5 and brought them down with the paperwork and let the FAs hand out the upgraded BPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.