Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change in Fares

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Change in Fares

I've been looking to book 2 tickets from ORD to FCO operated by Alitalia departing in approx. 2 weeks. This morning while trying to book I selected outbound economy (V Class Fare) and return economy plus (W Class Fare - was cheaper than reg Econ Fare). While in the purchasing screen on Delta.com my system "locked up" and I was booted out of the booking window. When I logged back my trip cost had increased by approx. $500 per seat (same fare classes and seats available). Has anyone else seen such a dramatic increase in price in such a short amount of time provided the fare classes stayed the same? Doesn't make sense unless the original fare which was $500 cheaper was a mistake.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
A lot of times the price changes at the very end with mixed fare classes like this. It could be something as simple as a lag in updating pricing, or the final combination of fares don't work together like the system thought at first.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Recently I've also seen DL price W (Comfort) fares less than V (main cabin) on domestic routes but haven't actually purchased any. My guess is the lower W fares would have errored out like yours, but who knows.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I'm not sure of the exact moment of the change, but from one day to the next in the past week a RT MSP-AMS fare changed from $655 to $1150; both are V fares. The low fare may have risen slightly but was under $700 before jumping to $1150.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sometimes there are multiple fares in the same fare class where the fare rules have different advanced purchase requirements, minimum stay requirements, etc. If OP is right at the two week threshold, this easily could be the explanation. Alternatively, there could have been a general fare increase, particularly by AZ or on this route, although I think TATL leisure fare increases for RTs TO Europe are very unlikely at this time.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight guys. I ended up purchasing the fare on Alitalia's website which was $100 cheaper than booking the same flights via Delta.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.