Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: using FaceTime over WIFI caused issue with crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: using FaceTime over WIFI caused issue with crew

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by npapadon
I noted earlier in the thread that only vo-ip was prohibited in the contractual terms and conditions. Not video.
Yup, it's definitely a concern about annoying the neighbors. The VoIP prohibition certainly also covers FaceTime - unless you have it on mute and are using sign language, I suppose...
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:29 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
FA pretending the FAA prohibits something is misrepresentation.
Years ago, I was flying on CO, and, as I attempted to walk toward the forward lav in my shoeless, socked feet, the F FA told me that is was an FAA violation to use the lav without shoes on.

That said . . . Now, years later, and MUCH wiser, I realize the REAL reason not to use the lav without shoes on!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by televisor
I agree. Voice only is very low bandwidth (I'm pretty sure similar things have been discussed when someone was asking about listening to the radio over WiFi), and uses less data than most of what people do when browsing.

However from a noise pollution perspective I fully understand and support all bans on calling.
That's a good point. I have listened to iTunes on a flight over WIFI with very little interruption in service. That was on a full flight during a business week. I suspect vo-ip would use less bandwidth then iTunes because the voice quality is lower and there are gaps of silence in the audio.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by npapadon
Hi Folks,

I'm on a Delta flight from SFO to JFK. The flight is nearly empty, so I decided to purchase a ~$40 Gogo in-flight WIFI data plan, get some work done and FaceTime (Vo-ip) back home. FaceTime worked great and the quality was close to an LTE connection. I wasn't being loud or rude. There is nobody sitting around me.

10 minutes passed and a flight attendant told me to disable FaceTime because it was in violation of FAA rules. I told her it was over Gogo WIFI (Cellular doesn't work at 10,000+ feet anyway) that I purchased and there was no mention restrictions on FaceTime shown when purchasing the plan or mention of FAA rules restricting FaceTime aka Vo-ip. Long story short I disabled FaceTime and started searching for rules regarding this.

FAA doesn't appear to mention any restriction on vo-ip using WIFI. I did find mention restricting it in Gogo's Delta "terms and conditions" as follows in very small font (Jul-21-2016):

"Voice service is not permitted nor supported."

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ght-wi-fi.html

I do not recall seeing any mention of this when Gogo offered me the $40/flight plan.

Gogo could block FaceTime but it does not. I'm happy to follow the rules, however am very confused on the background for restricting vo-ip or FaceTime on flights. It's going over the legally approved WIFI, the service could be blocked by Gogo if it really interfered with bandwidth and in past years airplanes had a phone in front of every seat. Is it a noise issue? If so, then why the phones in planes a few years back? Perhaps the added income was enough for airlines to allow talking on the phone in flight.

Interesting in your thoughts.

Thanks
I always put on a headset so it doesn't effect anyone around. Personal its annoying when people walk around on speakerphone. With a headset it eliminates effecting anyone around you.

I have had people try to Facetime or Audio call on a plane but never take it because connection will usually be too slow.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:25 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by BThumme
I will never understand why some people get so upset over a passenger talking to his phone/computer. How is it any different then any other passenger talking?
busybodies will never get tired of complaining about other people or stop telling them what to do.
yohanson likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I will never understand why some people get so upset over a passenger talking to his phone/computer. How is it any different then any other passenger talking? Sure, if they are getting heated on the phone I can understand that, but I don't get what passengers are looking for.

Do they want the plane to be total silence? That will never happen. Is it rude for me to talk to my seatmate (friend or not?) What about passengers casually chatting up others/FA's? Is that okay? If so, where does the line get drawn? I have no issues with someone being on their phone/computer so long as they aren't being loud and obnoxious.

If you don't want to hear people, get a private plane chartered, or since that's out of budget for 99.9% of us, buy a nice pair of noise canceling headphones and you won't have to worry about hearing others.
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Almost universally, in my experience, people speak much louder when using a phone vs. speaking to the person seated next to them. Personally I can't stand being next to someone on the phone.

Particularly with all of the background noise on a plane (esp. the sound of the plane itself), one would need to speak louder to have an intelligible phone conversation.

If real estate were not such a precious commodity on planes, I would suggest they have phone booth type rooms that people could step into to have a conversation. Perhaps we will see this in the future in J or intl F cabins.
I don't see any difference in a phone call or someone having a conversation with a person sitting next to them. In my experience, people seem to speak quieter while on the phone. I think people's issues with phone conversations is that they are not able to hear what the person on the other end is saying. But I'm not a psychologist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Thumbs up +1

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Perhaps he/she thought that by saying "it's against the law" would be easier for you to understand than saying something like "turn your phone off you dick half the plane can hear you". Just a thought.
+1
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Anyone making a phone call in flight should be required to step outside.
I agree - except on 9/11 when it was the last call they ever made.

Originally Posted by appleguru
They cost so much that nearly nobody used them thankfully ;-)
On 9/11 money was the last thing on their minds.

Originally Posted by 18sas
I personally witnessed only one person making a call on one of those. It was a while ago and I don't remember specifics, but I recall that it didn't seem like a very important call either.
Except on 9/11

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Almost universally, in my experience, people speak much louder when using a phone vs. speaking to the person seated next to them. Personally I can't stand being next to someone on the phone.
Agreed - on balance please - no cell phones or VoIP on flights please.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Originally Posted by Zorak
And partly psychological, I think there have been studies that it's more annoying when you can only hear half the conversation.
This. For example, see here. Original research here. Seems intuitively sensible to me.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by appleguru
They cost so much that nearly nobody used them thankfully ;-)
I actually have and used to use them.
Verizon/United had a great deal that I think for $10/month you got access and paid $0.10/min. Also free sms messaging.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
I used Skype to get my voicemail from home and it worked. Actually better than the hotel I stayed at that night.

Didn't know I was breaking some rule.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:20 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The hounds have been released
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Agreed. Save the Facetime ........ for when you land.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD
I really wouldn't have a problem with people making calls, FTing, etc. as long as there was a sound deadening booth or something where they could talk. People just don't realize how loud they are when talking on the phone, FT, etc.
The Cone of Silence:

Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:31 pm

I will never understand why some people get so upset over a passenger talking to his phone/computer. How is it any different then any other passenger talking? Sure, if they are getting heated on the phone I can understand that, but I don't get what passengers are looking for.

Do they want the plane to be total silence? That will never happen. Is it rude for me to talk to my seatmate (friend or not?) What about passengers casually chatting up others/FA's? Is that okay? If so, where does the line get drawn? I have no issues with someone being on their phone/computer so long as they aren't being loud and obnoxious.

If you don't want to hear people, get a private plane chartered, or since that's out of budget for 99.9% of us, buy a nice pair of noise canceling headphones and you won't have to worry about hearing others.
Agree. Just don't be loud or say things not appropriate for public. I used to use the seat back phones to have my ride waiting, there was no texting or email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.