Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Special Services Agent in ATL Lied Directly to my Face During IROP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec

Flew AUS-ATL-BTR on 7/14. AUS-ATL had a delay on the inbound due to DL error and caused me to miss final connection to BTR of the night. The line at the C Concourse desk is very long due to a few other delays/cancellations, so I head out to the South Terminal where the line was much shorter.

Agent asks if I can go to MSY tonight. I tell her I can, but please document that I will be asking for the rental car reimbursement for the drive from MSY-BTR.

Her response? "Oh, we don't do that..."

Me: "I'm sorry, I know I've had rental car expenses reimbursed in a similar situation where I've been rerouted to another airport."

Her (calling out to other agent): "Janice, you ever heard of this crazy idea that Delta refunds rental cars?"

Me: "Mam, if that's the case, I'd simply appreciate a hotel room and I'll take the morning flight to BTR"

Her: "We're sold out of hotels for the night..."

Me: "Okay, can you document that I'll be requesting reimbursement?"

Her: "You're only getting $50 because that's what Delta pays the hotels. Here's the number for Corp Customer Care."

Me: "I already have the number, thank you.

Her (to other agent): "Janice, we've got Mr. Know It All taken care of now...who's next?"

Call to corp customer care next morning approved reimbursement for the $160 hotel room and $26 in Uber fees to get to/from downtown since the airport hotels were booked solid.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Nothing will be done unless you got their name. If you did, then pursue it.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Her (to other agent): "Janice, we've got Mr. Know It All taken care of now...who's next?"
If this is verbatim, then this is the biggest issue. That agent has no business handling customers in service recovery situations.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
More fabulous service at ATL.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

If this is verbatim, then this is the biggest issue. That agent has no business handling customers in service recovery situations.
It is verbatim. Went down the end to speak to red coat. Original agent sarcastically smiled and waved at us. Red Coat told me she would speak with her.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd say the delay was very likely weather related --

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...025Z/KATL/KAUS

I'm surprised they offered to pay anything at all given it was likely weather related. Last time I missed the last flight out of ATL (late arrival from DEN due to claimed ATC issues on late inbound MSP-DEN flight), they refused to give me a hotel voucher (even as a Diamond).
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

I'd say the delay was very likely weather related --
It was both, actually. DL delay at gate in ATL. Then missed opportunity to avoid incoming WX.

AUS Red Coat reiterated multiple times that the delay was DL's problem and all overnights in ATL would be provided hotel vouchers.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:15 pm

Delta has to give you a $100 voucher if there are no hotels. Not technically required to reimburse for hotel cost but elite status and good customer service can create exceptions. I don't think ground transportation reimbursement is technically required either. I think the only problem here is the absolute rudeness you experienced.

While the agent wasn't extremely incorrect, she shouldn't have told you what compensation would be offered. I don't think she lied about what Delta is required to do for you.

Last edited by Widgets; Jul 20, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: DL PM
That sounds like stellar service for ATL. I've watched them literally scream at a customer before.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by mudpuppy
That sounds like stellar service for ATL. I've watched them literally scream at a customer before.
I've seen everything short of that. Going to ATL for customer service training is ironic. They tell you the basic stuff about being nice, helpful, smiling, etc. And then you get to the airport to fly home and not a single employee there does anything you just learned.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Widgets
I've seen everything short of that. Going to ATL for customer service training is ironic. They tell you the basic stuff about being nice, helpful, smiling, etc. And then you get to the airport to fly home and not a single employee there does anything you just learned.
Why would DL's home hub have rude employees who are like that, though? Is it something systemic about ATL itself? Doesn't make sense that DL's main home hub would have rude employees while its headquarters and trainers are right next door.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Why would DL's home hub have rude employees who are like that, though? Is it something systemic about ATL itself? Doesn't make sense that DL's main home hub would have rude employees while its headquarters and trainers are right next door.
Trainer: "Do as I say and not as I do."

There are exceptions, but many large airports are known for rude and/or apparently incompetent employees.

In the USA, various large urban areas have different types of employees available for customer service jobs. A lot depends on local attitudes and ingrained ways of dealing with others in addition to general educational levels and the extent of alternative employment opportunities.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Trainer: "Do as I say and not as I do."

There are exceptions, but many large airports are known for rude and/or apparently incompetent employees.

In the USA, various large urban areas have different types of employees available for customer service jobs. A lot depends on local attitudes and ingrained ways of dealing with others in addition to general educational levels and the extent of alternative employment opportunities.
Yes, but if DL's HQ/Customer Care division is in the same area/region, even almost on the same street as the airport itself, why would there be a big difference in employees' attitudes, then?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Yes, but if DL's HQ/Customer Care division is in the same area/region, even almost on the same street as the airport itself, why would there be a big difference in employees' attitudes, then?
ATL airport customer service positions are hired from the local Atlanta labor market. They don't do extensive national searches or pay moving expenses for minimum wage jobs and it's hard to imagine that it would practical for someone to commute nonrev to ATL to work split shifts at the airport.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
FWIW: When I was an agent (for two other airlines) we were specifically told NOT to pay for anything rental car related. We were also told to tell cust: You can take it up with our customer care and they may decide to do reimburse, but we are not allowed to at the airport. (Sounds like the agent finally got around to that at the end).

I was told when I asked why: "that it was for insurance reasons". But who knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.