Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New/Refreshed Delta Amenity Kit Yesterday--CDG-PHL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

Flew Delta One yesterday CDG-PHL, and was surprised to be handed a new Tumi kit that I'd not seen before. Nearly identical Tumi hard case but in navy with an elastic strap inside to keep items in place. Kiehl's lotion and lip balm replaced Malin+Goetz as well, new toothpaste (Crest yadda yadda whitening something), and new packaging for some of the generic items. Nothing crazy, but I like the elastic strap. IDK much about lotions, cosmetics, etc. so whether Kiehl's is an improvement or not over M+G, I don't know.

M+G still present in clubs and lavs, FWIW.

Last edited by sky303; Jun 25, 2016 at 10:53 am
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Yes to Kiehl's!

I live by Kiehl's Lip Balm No. 1! I've got 3 tubes of it at home right now and 1 tube in my work backpack. It is good stuff - I've used Kiehl's products since back in the early 90s. I've got other products at home right now, too. Any scents they use do not attack me (I have a big sensitivity with a lot of items with scent/essential oils). There may be other/better providers, but Kiehl's is a good choice for me. The Salvatore Ferragamo products that Alitalia provides in their amenity kit may be quality products, but the scent was too much for me (even in the lip balm!) and made my face and lips burn when I used it.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Excellent news - the hard side case was much lower quality than the soft one, and much less useful for reuse, so the elastic strap will help the situation somewhat.

I know people like their products, but the typography on the labels of those Kiehl's tubes absolutely kills me. It looks like they're intentionally trying to simulate text typed in Windows 3.0's "Write" accessory. Sheesh. :P
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Good to know RE: Kiehl's. Kit also comes with a 15% off any full price Tumi item coupon, and a Kiehl's one for some large samples if you buy so much from them.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by BenA
Excellent news - the hard side case was much lower quality than the soft one, and much less useful for reuse, so the elastic strap will help the situation somewhat.

I know people like their products, but the typography on the labels of those Kiehl's tubes absolutely kills me. It looks like they're intentionally trying to simulate text typed in Windows 3.0's "Write" accessory. Sheesh. :P
Kiehl's has always used that type. Pre-Windows. Pre-PC... I'll put up with labeling as long as the product is good...
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BenA

This one is still a hard case with all of the associated disadvantages.

Also, doesn't this shade of blue clash with the blue of DL seat covers?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Also, doesn't this shade of blue clash with the blue of DL seat covers?
I like the hard cases myself, but I understand why some don't appreciate the rigidity. The strap is nice though and useful in the future as well, to keep things from shifting too much.

I didn't notice if the color had a clashing effect since I was already seated when I received the kit, but I have to say, I like seeing some variety.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
LAX-JFK last Tues was soft case w Kiehl's products ... I don't understand why the color of the case even worth mentioning however
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Excellent, I hope they will have this next Tuesday BOS-AMS ^
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I like kiehls a lot, but I think m & g is a much more interesting line and certainly more trendy and edgy and befitting of the image that DL seems to be going for. Kiehls must have offered a good deal, maybe no charge, for this.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sky303
I like the hard cases myself, but I understand why some don't appreciate the rigidity. The strap is nice though and useful in the future as well, to keep things from shifting too much.

I didn't notice if the color had a clashing effect since I was already seated when I received the kit, but I have to say, I like seeing some variety.
Same here, I much prefer the hard case over the soft. The soft ones just feel/look cheaper to me. Although I do understand not everyone wants something rigid.

As for color, I think black looks better. The blue almost to me looks like it didn't get dyed dark enough.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO, the problem with the hard case was that only half the space inside is usable because the hinge is at the midpoint. Pack it more than half full of items, and unless they are large and thick, the items invariably fall out the next time you open the case. With an elastic band, it may be possible to retain more use of both halves of the space.

The soft case, with its top zipper, didn't suffer from the same problem.

At least Delta's amenity kits are much nicer than KLM's. I've gotten several different versions over the last few years and they are all uniformly terrible. The latest one is uselessly thin and made out of a very rough fabric that I swear was repurposed from leftover CD albums... I guess all their budget goes to the houses instead
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: DM/3MM
sky303, did the new case no longer have that strong chemical smell that the existing black hard case has?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
........I don't understand why the brand of the product is worth mentioning.....<joke>

The problem with the hard case is that it takes up too much space in luggage.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sky303
Kiehl's lotion and lip balm replaced Malin+Goetz [...]
Originally Posted by jrl767
LAX-JFK last Tues was soft case w Kiehl's products [...]
Delta's baggage-office amenity kits have long included Kiehl's toiletries. I've always thought them an incongruent choice given the ubiquity of Malin + Goetz products in the Sky Clubs, Delta One amenity kits, and onboard lavatories.

I, for one, much prefer Malin + Goetz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.