Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class/Business "Auction"

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 11:10 am
Original Poster

First Class/Business "Auction"

There was a recent WSJ about Delta auctioning off first class seats before flights. Flying ATL--->LHR in July. Any idea if they will put upgrades from coach up for auction either by paying with cash or miles?
Old May 29, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Before people start going crazy, the Jan. 2016 WSJ article didn't actually say Delta was auctioning seats. It pointed to other carriers' use of auction systems, particularly the Plusgrade and SeatBoost products with Lufthansa and Virgin America, respectively.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/going-on...des-1452105322
Old May 29, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I personally think that would be a great idea for certain routes. I could see it on D1 routes that don't normally sell out.
Old May 29, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I would support this wholeheartedly. Better for the FAs, better for the coach customers, better for everyone really. But... I suspect they won't do it too much... and that the minimum bid prices would be rigged anyways.
Old May 29, 2016, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
I personally think that would be a great idea for certain routes. I could see it on D1 routes that don't normally sell out.
I don't think it's a great idea at all:
  • Dilutes the value of J, for which some people pay a 6-8x (or more) multiplier over Y
  • Reduces the space available for elites wait-listing for an upgrade using GUCs
  • Reduces the space available for NRSA standbys, which is a valuable perk for employees
Old May 29, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ruckzac
I don't think it's a great idea at all:
  • Dilutes the value of J, for which some people pay a 6-8x (or more) multiplier over Y
  • Reduces the space available for elites wait-listing for an upgrade using GUCs
  • Reduces the space available for NRSA standbys, which is a valuable perk for employees
Bidding wouldn't always be available, obviously. I don't really care about the last two.
Old May 29, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
Bidding wouldn't always be available, obviously. I don't really care about the last two.
You don't care about the last two because you're neither an employee, nor a DM. How would you feel if you were?

Last edited by rucksack; May 29, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Old May 29, 2016, 2:52 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by ruckzac
You don't care about the last two because you're neither an employer, nor a DM. How would you feel if you were?
I get cheated out of domestic upgrades by non-revs pretty regularly, so not only would non-revs losing out here not bother me, it would seem like fair turnabout.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
I get cheated out of domestic upgrades by non-revs pretty regularly, so not only would non-revs losing out here not bother me, it would seem like fair turnabout.
Not likely. Non-revs fly Y domestically, so they're not stealing your upgrade unless there's shenanigans going on.
Old May 29, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by pvn
Shall I beat bubba Mr. Show to the punch?

WFBF
YBYL

In all seriousness though, I doubt it. Nonrevs are eligible for domestic F but so rarely get it. I would love to hear some stories about when you got "cheated out" by a nonrev (and the nonrev wouldn't even be the one doing the cheating - the GA would be).

In relation to the actual topic at hand though, I don't really see this happening and if it did, on a very limited basis. All of ruckzac's points are very valid, but I suspect the one delta is most concerned with is the first. They are so concerned about protecting the price integrity of the cabin that I can't see them doing anything large scale to compromise that. And auctioning off seats definitely falls into that category.

Last edited by WidgetKid; May 29, 2016 at 4:11 pm
Old May 29, 2016, 4:01 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
Shall I beat bubba to the punch?
According to the (faux) Diamond benefit thread, a coupl'a people seem to be offended by GAs addressing pax by their first names. To keep thingz civil on here, may I suggest that you call him . . . .

Mr. Show.

Old May 29, 2016, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
According to the (faux) Diamond benefit thread, a coupl'a people seem to be offended by GAs addressing pax by their first names. To keep thingz civil on here, may I suggest that you call him . . . .

Mr. Show.

Fair point, Mr. Travels. Duly noted and corrected
Old May 29, 2016, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

Mr. Show.

Sorry, the "slot" for "Mr. Show" in my mind is reserved for the Bob Odenkirk/David Cross TV series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Sh..._Bob_and_David
Old May 29, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence

Mr. Show.

Whether or not I might get offended is irrelevant. Calling an adult you don't know by his or her first name is impolite, and for that reason alone the Delta staff should not do it.
Old May 29, 2016, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
Whether or not I might get offended is irrelevant. Calling an adult you don't know by his or her first name is impolite, and for that reason alone the Delta staff should not do it.
Just curious more than anything, but what about all those diamonds out there who are well known by their home station agents and both refer to each other by first names? I'm really just interested to know if you take issue with employees calling customers by their first name in general, or if it all has to do with whether they are known or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.