Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is 777 refresh due?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by cdubose98
2008 actually. Still quite young in plane years, especially for DL, but a rather advanced age for an aircraft interior.

The 77Ls and 764s (I believe that's what is used to FRA) have the oldest interiors in the widebody fleet and should be first in line for a refresh in the next couple of years.
whoops i hit the 9 but meant the 8. Still not old.
Originally Posted by Longboater
After the eighteen 772s are refurbished, the 764s will be fitted with the A350 hard product. Excluding the ten 77Ls that were delivered with 1-2-1 flat beds, the 764 was the first fleet to be refurbished with 1-2-1 flat beds as they were deployed to DL's highest yielding Europe and Deep South America routes. As a result, they've become the most worn in the past several years, especially in the back.
FWIW the 764 won't be getting the same seat as the 350/777 more than likely.
The 767 cabin isn't as wide which is why they didn't get the A330 seat.

More than likely the 764 will get the same slightly different 763 seat and new Y seats. (My guess)
Originally Posted by wlau
That's what the FA said - she was based in LA. I believe it was on 232ER. I am not so sure your fact is as straight as you claim. The first 777-200ER to DL was fleet 7001 delivered back in 1999 and it's still in operation.
It would be odd if it was as LAX is all 200LR. Subs do happen though which is why I said its hard to tell because you didn't give an exact date.
not to slam FAs but very few of them really know how old an airplane is. They go off the same idea as most PAX, judge it on how it looks not when it was made or hour/cycles, which is the one that really matters.

As with Delta or any other airline, the airframe age is not something a customer would see - we notice the cabin interior and it looked worn. If the FA said it was old, who am I to argue? After all, she is probably on that same aircraft every week.
now this I am not arguing with. The 777 and 764 fleets need a re-fresh, but stuff like this doesn't happen overnight. Once the 350s show up and the 757/320/737 work finishes up the 777/764 should see some mod time.

I can tell you for sure the interior is worn and I have that many things broken in my seat and Delta definitely has a more refreshed version of the 777-232, LR or ER.
all the 777s, ER or LR, have the same exact interior. Same IFE, same seats etc. etc.
matter of fact the ERs have the "newest" interiors compared to most LRs because ER mods didn't start tell a few of the LRs showed up.
For whatever reason, Delta has always liked to run short on 12+ hour aircraft and have higher utilization. It makes it hard to do work on them.
At one more Delta had to cancel/reduce some 777 flights because the fleet had some heavy checks that had to be done that winter. (back when it was just the 8 ERs)

Let's assume it's a 232LR, the first one that is still in service is fleet 7101 that enter into service back in Q1 of 2008, not 2009 as you said. 7 or 8 years is a long time for the interior... Most of DL competitor on this route using older aircraft like 777 are with renovated new interior.
like I said above, i hit 9 but meant to hit 8 (and didn't notice)
but I agree on the interior part. I just annoys me when people call aircraft old when they aren't. The way Delta runs its 777 fleet they can probably fly for 20 more years if DL wants. (and they will hour out well before they run out of cycles)
I have seen older DL 767 used to service HND route with much newer and better interior.

Just so it's clear, I am not bashing DL, I like DL enough to constantly fly it. But for that flight, for that meat I occupied, it had many broken things. The LA-based FA said it's an old plane. Old is a subjective word, but she seems to think so and suggest I temper my expectation.
No I understand completely. Hopefully he/she was writing up all the issues so maintenance can get on the plane and work them out. The IFE system on them are somewhat buggy compared to what is going on the 319/320/757 also. IFE has come a long way in the last few years.

and I didn't mean to come off as harsh toward you. Like i said above it annoys mean when airplanes get called old when they aren't. Most airplanes can fly for 30-40 years pretty easy so a 10-20 year airplane is only at its half life.

but I hope you wrote Delta and like I said hope the FA wrote up the issues. It only helps maintenance when FA, pilots and PAX are writing up or writing Delta about the issue. ^^^
Old May 30, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
Didn't Delta recently buy a 777 for $7M, and someone here confirmed that this aircraft will be made airworthy.. When is that 777 going to be put into service? And I'm guessing it will get the new interiors.
Old May 30, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by WesTraveller
Didn't Delta recently buy a 777 for $7M, and someone here confirmed that this aircraft will be made airworthy.. When is that 777 going to be put into service? And I'm guessing it will get the new interiors.
They bought it for parts. DL has purchased several 747s for parts as well.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
This reminds me a funny story. I agree that you can run into dirty tray table and seat more often than you think it's reasonable.

A few flights ago coming back from Haneda, the interior looked dirtier than usual. When the hot towel came out, I used it to wipe my hands, then proceeded to wipe down the tray table, arm rest and seatback screen.

Some Asian guy sitting across the isle in the mid section said to me "Sir, the towel is not meant to wipe down the tray table, it's for your face and hands." The guy next me looked at me and said "Ha, how can I never thought of that" and start to use it to wipe the tray table. Before you know, several people around us all started to clean surfaces around their seat. That Asia guy looked dumdfounded.

I turned to that Asia guy and said, "I don't use towel wet with dirty tank water on my face..."
That's awesome, I do the exact same thing. Hate dirty trays.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I heard the 777s are going to be refurbed at the same time the 78s come online ... Oh, wait :sad:
Old May 31, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: DM/3MM
For whatever reason, the D1 seats on the 777s seem to be poorly maintained. I have yet to be on one of these flights where several people were not having power/IFE issues. It's inexcusable, especially for the prices they are charging on those routes. And DL needs to find a better way to keep these planes/seats clean (though I find that DL's D1 cleanliness standards declining...should I really need to clean my seat each time I reach it after I board)?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, IHG Spire Amb, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
completely and 100% false. Since you didn't say exactly what day it was it's hard to know exactly what plane you were on but LAX-NRT should have been on a 777-232LR which aren't even 10 years old (oldest came in 2009)

having said that, they should get a refrub in-line with the new 350 cabin that is coming. The issue is that Delta is so short on airplanes that can fly over 12 hours that they simply couldn't start a mod-line right now if they wanted.

but as others have said, make sure you write these issues in.

exactly.

again, less than 10 years old isn't old. If you are going to slam an airline then you should research before posting.

Oh and FYI, even if it happened to be a 232ER for some odd reason, ANA and JAL both have 777s older than Delta's 200ERs.

but don't let facts get in the way.
How about you quote a source for your 'facts'

Delta average fleet age is almost the worst in the USA at > 15 years

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/04/12/how-old-is-your-plane-these-airline-fleet-age-rank.aspx

And since these were published if I am not mistaken delta were looking to buy second hand 777s for pennies.

Bless your Stockholm syndrome - get help

And on ANA / JAL - I'd fly in a 20 year old ANA plane over a brand new DL
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, IHG Spire Amb, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
Nice, out of the blue misogynistic comment that doesn't even have anything to do with the discussion.
Comment was in relation to differing compensation levels - nice selective quoting.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Even if these are due for a cabin refresh/update in the next 1-2 years, they should keep them in working order until then. Items like the seat entertainment, power, and recline functionality are things they can fix.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:19 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by vivoid
Comment was in relation to differing compensation levels - nice selective quoting.
quoting your entire post would not have mattered. if that was actually your complaint, please elaborate on how more experienced FAs make your trip worse.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
quoting your entire post would not have mattered. if that was actually your complaint, please elaborate on how more experienced FAs make your trip worse.
Sure - I like to look at, and be looked after by, happy, young, attractive people. Fat old flight attendants take this away from me.

I won't go into who I'd rather have prising the emergency doors open in an emergency - but here's a clue - it's not the fat old FA who can't lift her own body weight off the floor and is only there because the airline is too .... scared off litigation to boot her off the plane.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 4:44 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by vivoid
Sure - I like to look at, and be looked after by, happy, young, attractive people. Fat old flight attendants take this away from me.

I won't go into who I'd rather have prising the emergency doors open in an emergency - but here's a clue - it's not the fat old FA who can't lift her own body weight off the floor and is only there because the airline is too .... scared off litigation to boot her off the plane.
WOW!!!

You just set the airline industry and women's issues back about 4 decades!!! I'm surprised you didn't call them STEWARDESSES!!!

There was actually a post a while back where someone called them - WAITRESSES!!!

Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Two thoughts:

1) Why did they retire so many 747's early if they were so short on long-hauls? They were still in working condition right?

2) I agree that it is very common to find dirty seats in both Y and J on DL. I know always carry a travel pack of Lysol wipes with me. Especially for a long haul in J where I am going to be laying down in the seat and touching everything for hours I do a full cleaning job right away. People give me strange looks as I wipe down literally every surface, but I don't care, and I really enjoy sitting in a seat that I know is clean.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I just flew the ANA 777-300. Wow! What a nicely appointed plane. A stark contrast to Delta's sad, dirty planes.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Two thoughts:

1) Why did they retire so many 747's early if they were so short on long-hauls? They were still in working condition right?

2) I agree that it is very common to find dirty seats in both Y and J on DL. I know always carry a travel pack of Lysol wipes with me. Especially for a long haul in J where I am going to be laying down in the seat and touching everything for hours I do a full cleaning job right away. People give me strange looks as I wipe down literally every surface, but I don't care, and I really enjoy sitting in a seat that I know is clean.
After wiping my face I do sterlization with the hot steam towel but i guess it isnt tuberculocidal. Hopefully my flight in D1 to LIM next week is clean and the IFE is good to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.