Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Upgrade Priority for GUC/RUC and Complimentary UG's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Upgrade Priority for GUC/RUC and Complimentary UG's

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've noticed that some agents say "price of ticket" when they mean fare class but think the customer can understand fare class more easily. Similarly, they say time of ticket purchase when they mean time of upgrade request, thinking that it's easier and they're usually the same.

With MQDs, DL certainly has the data to easily use ticket price (per segment? that's never been clear when I question them about how ticket cost is exactly defined, i.e., as RT or per fare component or per segment), doing so is likely to benefit hub captives on average (as we often pay large amounts of money for a simple RT with a low fare class), which I suspect DL has no desire to do.
I made sure to clarify price vs fare class. I know NWA used to UG folks via the upgrade certs on fare amount vs class as well.

Originally Posted by SDQBound
If this is true, this will be unfair to those who do not live in the US (and cannot get the Amex Reserve Card).
DL has shown it doesn't care much re pax living outside the US. YQ fees and loss of SC access for golds in Asia was proof to me.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by SDQBound
If this is true, this will be unfair to those who do not live in the US (and cannot get the Amex Reserve Card).
True, but they are merely playing to where the majority of their revenue comes from: people living in the US and Amex.

Besides, I'd think most people living outside the US aren't as impacted as much by this, since they likely don't fly as many UG-eligible US domestic routes. Yes, it impacts foreign DMs using GUCs, but that maxes out at 4x/year for those folks, and the impact is only if US-based Reserve holders also happen to be using a GUC on that flight and also the non-US pax is on the bubble and also the non-US pax would be inclined to get a Reserve card if they were able to.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:42 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SamuelS
While this is true, on the other hand, those that do not live in the US are not subject to the minimum MQD's requirement for elite qualification.
And the only reason why we are not subject to the minimum MQD's is because we cannot apply for a Delta Branded AMEX that can waive the MQD requirement after the expenditure threshold.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Order of Priority:
1. Medallion Status
2. Reserve card or not
3. Price of ticket
4. Ticket issue time

This would be a dream come true!

What percent of DM's do you think have a Reserve Card already?
Old May 26, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
No way.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'd be pretty surprised too, but I suppose if AMEX gives DL enough money it could happen? I've been considering downgrading from DL Reserve to DL Plat, or switching sideways into the regular AMEX Plat but this would make me think twice about it, sure.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
According to this link:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html

"Enjoying Priority
Upgrade Certificates receive higher priority than Medallion Complimentary Upgrade requests and clear off the waitlist in order of Medallion Tier, then by the day and time your request was added to the waitlist."

The claim is as far as RUC is concerned, fare class is not involved.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Kind of interesting data point: I fly HPN-ATL (<2hrs on 900) a lot and as DM frequently get upgraded between T-5 and T-2 (which I appreciate). Due to a schedule fluke, I happened to be booked on an AA flight today LGA-ATL that was cancelled, so I called yesterday and got on the DL flight about 10 hours before departure. The app showed 1 of something (15-20) up until about 11 PM with 4 F open, so I assumed upgrade would be a shoe-in. At 4:30 AM, the app showed 1 of 10 or so, with 0 F open. I did end up getting upgraded at the gate (after zone 3 boarded) as someone didn't show, but I am curious what happened to those four F seats between 11 PM and 4 AM. I assume they were auto GUC or RUC upgrades for people that were making connections to longer flights from ATL? It seems (at least for this flight) that there is some auto-upgrade within the 6 or so hours before departure...
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by roberto.triviani
According to this link:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html

"Enjoying Priority
Upgrade Certificates receive higher priority than Medallion Complimentary Upgrade requests and clear off the waitlist in order of Medallion Tier, then by the day and time your request was added to the waitlist."

The claim is as far as RUC is concerned, fare class is not involved.
I only have a few data points on this, but I am absolutely convinced *date/time GUC is applied* plays a role.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:10 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I am very skeptical of this new order. Delta may have financial incentives with Amex, but they've made very clear they want to keep those buying expensive tickets happy. Deprioritizing expensive tickets makes no sense.

I'll believe it when it's on the website.

Maybe what OP heard had to do with certificate upgrades, but still doesn't entirely make sense.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Whatever!!! Non-rev employee gets highest priority. I was on the list coming back from ICN. 2.5 hours before departure, there were 15 open D1 seats and I couldn't get one. I asked and the GA said there were a lot of non-rev employees going home. Sure enough, during boarding there were a ton of DTW and SLC based employees chatting with each other. The PREM boarding group was made up mostly Delta employees and their family members.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by wlau
Whatever!!! Non-rev employee gets highest priority. I was on the list coming back from ICN. 2.5 hours before departure, there were 15 open D1 seats and I couldn't get one. I asked and the GA said there were a lot of non-rev employees going home. Sure enough, during boarding there were a ton of DTW and SLC based employees chatting with each other. The PREM boarding group was made up mostly Delta employees and their family members.
Were you using a GUC? Non revs (except for situations where they are required positive space premium cabins) should never clear before GUCs. If you weren't using one.. D1 upgrades are explicitly not part of the program. Non revs clear into best available space. Is there any airline that does it differently?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:35 am
C W

Originally Posted by wlau
There're no complimentary long-haul international upgrades.

Were you trying to use a GUC?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
how does the hierarchy work when you are waitlisted to upgrade with miles?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:13 am
C W

Why was this thread necromanced anyway? Seem pretty clear the upgrade order is still status, fare class, reserve card, delta corp traveler, time of request a year and a half after the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.