Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL's General Manager Miguel Southwell fired

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL's General Manager Miguel Southwell fired

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
So the Mayor fires the guy... what happened to the mayor saying if they don't fix the lines he personally would replace the TSA with a private service... pesky details I guess.
He needs to be held to that promise. Send in the national guard and remove them.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I realize that the bar for Atlanta mayors is set pretty low, but IMO Kasim has been one of the better ones.

If this was the traditional Atlanta mayor firing an airport GM, it would be because the GM didn't award some concession contract to a political crony on an insider deal. (Hope that doesn't later prove to be the case in this instance).

I actually like the claim that the GM was fired for not attending to customer-impacting issues. Whether that's actually true or not, we won't know for a while. If true, kudos to Kasim Reed.

Now if he would just turn a similarly-critical eye toward synchronizing traffic signals in ATL.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:14 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I realize that the bar for Atlanta mayors is set pretty low, but IMO Kasim has been one of the better ones.

If this was the traditional Atlanta mayor firing an airport GM, it would be because the GM didn't award some concession contract to a political crony on an insider deal. (Hope that doesn't later prove to be the case in this instance).

I actually like the claim that the GM was fired for not attending to customer-impacting issues. Whether that's actually true or not, we won't know for a while. If true, kudos to Kasim Reed.

Now if he would just turn a similarly-critical eye toward synchronizing traffic signals in ATL.
All well and good except as said he said if it wasn't improved he would remove the TSA and replace to make it better. Now he blames it on the GM and fires him. That is .........
Old May 26, 2016, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Nonsense. You claimed that there is "no reason" to connect passengers through hubs. That statement is factually incorrect.

What number of passengers each day fly between Dothan, AL and Sioux Falls, SD? Are you suggesting that an airline can efficiently serve Dothan > Sioux Falls P2P?
There is no reason to connect "every" passenger thru a hub. Airport in #9 O&D market shouldn't be #1 in number of passengers. As simple as that.

Considering the issues highlighted revolve primarily around passenger screening for O/D passengers, that comment makes no sense.
I thought GM got fired for unsanitary conditions at ATL.

Look, you are clearly angry that you don't live in a hub. Have you thought about moving to a different city? I know that some people don't like that advice, but it seems to solve your problem.
I live near a hub. But that is just one legacy airline hub. What about other two legacies' hubs.

In old days cities/towns used to fight not to have interstate (or) railroad track close to their city/town, so all the hobos won't be loitering around. Times have changed, now we invite from allover the world.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by ND76
Is Kasim Reed corrupt and incompetent, or just totally infatuated with himself?
I dunno, but here is a press release that he put out this afternoon: Atlantagov: Mayor Kasim Reed Response to Bill Torpy's May 26 Column in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Posted Date: 5/26/2016 3:00 PM)
Since it is a press release, I will quote the entire thing:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 26, 2016

News Release

Mayor Kasim Reed Response to Bill Torpy's May 26 Column in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution

ATLANTA – "Today’s Bill Torpy column ('Explainer talk turns into State of Kasim') in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution regarding my May 23 press conference is disappointing in its distortions and its unfairness.

The press conference was called to announce the key appointments of new leaders at two essential city departments: Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and the Department of Watershed Management.

I made clear that I would not discuss the terminations of their predecessors.

Mr. Torpy gets his facts wrong and deliberately misrepresents the tenure of two individuals who led those departments and had their share of success.

There are often holdovers among department heads in any city government when a new Administration takes office. And it is not unusual for a new mayor to replace them with his own appointments. This is a very common practice.

Airport GM Louis Miller, Watershed Commissioner Jo Ann Macrina and Airport GM Miguel Southwell were all appointed after the City conducted national searches.

I hired Ms. Macrina in 2011 to replace an interim commissioner, one year after I took office. Once voted on and confirmed by the Atlanta City Council, the new Watershed Commissioner will be the second of my Administration, not the fourth, as Torpy writes. I do not expect we will read a printed correction of that error in the newspaper soon.

Mr. Miller, who served as the first appointed General Manager of Hartsfield-Jackson under my Administration, retired at the end of 2013 at the age of 65.

Once confirmed, the new General Manager of Hartsfield-Jackson will be the third of my Administration, not the fourth, as Torpy gets wrong again.

Mr. Torpy also describes Interim General Manager Roosevelt Council as having a 'finance background, not one in operations.' The truth is that Mr. Council has years of experience in transportation logistics and was promoted from his positions as Aviation Deputy General Manager, as well as Chief Financial Officer, of the airport.

Mr. Torpy also speculates about my motivations.

My motivation for holding this press conference was clear: The public deserved to know how we would be moving forward with the leadership of two critical city departments which provide essential services to more than one million metropolitan area residents and millions of visitors.

Atlanta residents deserve competent, effective leadership over these departments. My role as the City’s chief executive is to ensure that every department performs to the highest standards. I will opt for performance over popularity every time.

Despite the fact that Mr. Torpy insists on mischaracterizing my leadership style, the reality is that I have not made any critical personnel decisions without consulting key members of my leadership team and major business and civic leaders.

The Atlanta City Council received a full briefing on these matters, and the council represents Atlantans in a far more substantive way than Torpy could ever claim.

As I stated during the press conference, my administration has always fulfilled its obligation to be transparent. That’s why after the terminations, I called the press conference to assure residents and show taxpayers that they can be confident in their leadership.

If Mr. Torpy wanted an honest conversation about transparency, he would have begun by telling his readers that I directly answered his questions during the press conference. He would have continued by disclosing his own personal motivations for his constant attacks on my Administration.

I understand Mr. Torpy’s strident column is part of his personal and obsessive search for scandal in city government. It’s all about getting the clicks he needs on the newspaper’s website to maintain his employment.

It’s unfortunate in this instance that he does not give the public an accurate and balanced picture of events. AJC readers and Cox Media Group customers deserve better."

###
Old May 26, 2016, 6:25 pm

What kind of mayor sends out a press release just to respond to a specific newspaper column and to attack its writer. I know nothing about Mr. Reed beyond this but I already am highly skeptical of his competence and leadership skills.

And I know I am now at risk of being assailed in a press release.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by avcritic
An MSA with 5.6 Million doesn't generate 101 Million pax, and not all 800,000 movements at ATL are wide bodies.

There are 10 MSAs with 5 Million+ population
There are 50 MSAs with 1 Million+ population
There are 100 MSAs with 500,000+ population

Yet we have very few hubs for such a vast country. Something wrong with this model.
For who exactly? Airlines are doing as well as they ever have. Hell most companies in the world don't post the margins AA and DL have been posting.
Originally Posted by orca15
We (the people commenting about the firing of a GM over long lines) aren't even having the same conversation as you.

What in the world do connections have to do with long lines at ATL? Those people aren't connecting.

And OBTW, as to your point, if DL didn't have a huge hub at ATL my travel life would be hell. Unless I am going to MCO or JFK or DTW, which I never do.
exactly.
Originally Posted by Grouchy
AMS-ATL-MEM (and all those int'l arrivals with connections) certainly have to pass security at ATL while in the past it was a AMS-MEM direct flight before they dehubbed it.
You aren't proving the right point.

Basically you guys are saying the US airlines should operate un-profitable routes just to make TSA lines shorter.

So my question is, are you going to write the check to bail them out? cause I'd rather not.
Dehubbing is done based on management's will, nothing do to load factors. Once the non-stop is gone, pax have no option other than connecting at available hub.

Load factors are so high they cannot even rebook on same day, where is the question of route not being viable.

Tomorrow if they toss a coin and dehub MSP or DTW, is it because those airports have no passengers.

I am not against hubs, but there is an obsession going on without any thought process.
In one short sentence you proved you know very little about how this industry works.

Load factors don't mean jack squat. I can buy 20 A380s and fly them around the US at 100% load factor selling tickets for a dollar. I'm not making anything (I'm be better just to set millions on fire) but I have industry leading load factor.

Believe it or not, Delta isn't in the business of cutting profitable flying. MEM was a dumpster fire for money. It made zero sense to keep the hub around.
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
What kind of mayor sends out a press release just to respond to a specific newspaper column and to attack its writer. I know nothing about Mr. Reed beyond this but I already am highly skeptical of his competence and leadership skills.

Reed is pretty well known for that.

IMO the airport would be better being state run. (Of course the state has its own fair share of issues)
Old May 27, 2016, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
For who exactly? Airlines are doing as well as they ever have. Hell most companies in the world don't post the margins AA and DL have been posting.
Good for them and lets keep that way.

Basically you guys are saying the US airlines should operate un-profitable routes just to make TSA lines shorter.
No non-state-owned airline going to operate any loss making routes.

If hub and spoke is the only way to run an airline, there wouldn't be any successful/profitable LCCs.

So my question is, are you going to write the check to bail them out? cause I'd rather not.
You are, it is called EAS to the extent of $250 Million every year.

Load factors don't mean jack squat. I can buy 20 A380s and fly them around the US at 100% load factor selling tickets for a dollar. I'm not making anything (I'm be better just to set millions on fire) but I have industry leading load factor.

Believe it or not, Delta isn't in the business of cutting profitable flying. MEM was a dumpster fire for money. It made zero sense to keep the hub around.
Network planners at legacies lost the skill of managing complex hybrid networks. When they open a new market all they see is which hub to connect to, because they don't want to hurt their neurons by doing a complex analysis and planning and ops don't want the hassle of managing a small station.

Cover their inability with qualifiers like MEM is a dump, people around DTW don't have jobs, MSP is low yield.
Old May 27, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by Ber2dca

This is the "new" world we live in. He should have sent it out on Twitter 140 characters at a time and thrown a few "weaks", "lyins" and "crookeds" in.
Old May 27, 2016, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The hub and spoke model works very well. You can't fly to every city from every city. But I do believe that hubs should be moved to less congested areas and just have enough nonstop flights to meet the local demand of high O/D cities. Basically, if you can fill an aircraft to a city based on local O/D alone then it should be operated. If not, send the traffic through a hub.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:11 am

Network planners at legacies lost the skill of managing complex hybrid networks. When they open a new market all they see is which hub to connect to, because they don't want to hurt their neurons by doing a complex analysis and planning and ops don't want the hassle of managing a small station.
Huh? You have no idea what you are talking about. I assure you the network folks at DL are plenty smart. Please tell me what multi billion dollar transportation system you run?

Also- please stop debating this topic on this thread.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
No non-state-owned airline going to operate any loss making routes.
False. As someone who worked in RM, you'd be surprised how many routes are money losers (a sizeable percentage). This is yet another argument FOR the hub/spoke system. You can take a pax from a "loss making" route and connect them to a profitable flight (more than the loss) and make money.

Build hubs with unlimited capacity with minimum trouble to passengers or go P2P.
Yeah, because that will happen...
Old May 27, 2016, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
If hub and spoke is the only way to run an airline, there wouldn't be any successful/profitable LCCs.
The larger LCCs in the US have hubs.

Nonsense of the highest order. And not consistent with the fact that each of the majors have dozens of small out stations.

Cover their inability with qualifiers like MEM is a dump, people around DTW don't have jobs, MSP is low yield.
MEM is a poor and small market. That is an objective fact.

DTW is a significant hub, so no excuses are needed. Ditto for MSP. Not sure what the heck you are on about.

Seriously, you need to move because you clearly are unhappy with the options where you live.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Yes, because the suburbs around DTW are actually doing quite well right now and there are ~25 Fortune 1000 companies based in the greater MSP area (hint: corporate traffic tends to be higher yield).
Old May 27, 2016, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
There is no reason to connect "every" passenger thru a hub.
That isn't what you said. Indeed, that revision makes your "point" largely meaningless.

Airport in #9 O&D market shouldn't be #1 in number of passengers. As simple as that.
When was the last time you opened a map?

Hub placement is partly about local O/D, but also about efficiency of the airport and geographic placement within a catchment area. ATL is so large because it is the de facto "Capitol" of the South, a large catchment area with relatively few possible other airports to compete with. Indeed, Atlanta was founded where it is precisely because it was a natural transportation hub and its status as a major one predates air travel and predates ATL becoming the busiest airport in the world. ATL has grown, partly, because it is a natural inland transportation hub at least as much as the other way around.

The narrative that ATL is not a natural transportation hub and that ATL is the size it is only because of capricious choices by DL is, quite possibly, the dumbest, most misinformed canard bandied about on FT. And that is saying a lot as there are a lot of exceedingly dumb, exceedingly misinformed canards bandied about on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.