Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using RUC when already upgraded

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Using RUC when already upgraded

I have a connection, JFK-LAX-LAS, with a RUC waitlisted on the JFK-LAX segment. I'd like the RUC to clear so I can SDC (both segments).

My medallion upgrade on the LAX-LAS segment just cleared. So, if the RUC clears on the JFK-LAX segment, I'll be in the position of asking Delta to apply a RUC to a segment that was already upgraded (because I need that to SDC).

I wonder what will happen.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess would be that your upgrade goes back to the waitlist unless you're doing this on the day of departure. Before (roughly) gate control, free elite upgrades and instrument supported upgrades come from and require different inventory classes.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My guess would be that your upgrade goes back to the waitlist unless you're doing this on the day of departure. Before (roughly) gate control, free elite upgrades and instrument supported upgrades come from and require different inventory classes.
How can I be waitlisted when I'm already in F?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
How can I be waitlisted when I'm already in F?
You'll be in F on the free upgrade. When you ask to apply the ruc, they'll have to downgrade you to Y. Then if there's upgrade space for RUCS clear you. Since they come from different buckets, there's no promise that your ruc will clear just because the freebie would.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You'll be in F on the free upgrade. When you ask to apply the ruc, they'll have to downgrade you to Y. Then if there's upgrade space for RUCS clear you. Since they come from different buckets, there's no promise that your ruc will clear just because the freebie would.
I think you can ask the to apply the RUC only to the JFK/LAX segment. I've done this with international flights when I got upgraded only for the domestic portion with the free upgrade.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
I think you can ask the to apply the RUC only to the JFK/LAX segment. I've done this with international flights when I got upgraded only for the domestic portion with the free upgrade.
OP wants to be able to easily SDC the whole trip. Using the RUC means that the OP can SDC into any available FC seat and keep the upgrades. Otherwise the segment with the free elite upgrade with SDC into coach only if the original coach fare class is available and become SDS otherwise.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If you read the OP he is applied the RUC for JFK-LAX, but has cleared free upgrade on the LAX-LAS flight. He wants to know if he clears the JFK-LAX flight what will happen if he tries to apply the RUC to the LAX-LAS flight so that can take advantage of SDC First class policy.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Tread carefully

I have had an agent uncheck my free upgrade on a leg I had already cleared with status when applying a RUC in the past. What will happen is you'll be pulled back to coach assigned a random seat, or worse placed in waiting seat assignment and then placed on the wait list for upgrade. I found this out when I had my 3B seat boarding pass scanned after applying a RUC on my second leg and a 1B ticket spit out. The gate agent proudly explained "congrats you were upgraded, in fact I just processed you, you were on the stand-by list"
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by nikitta28
Tread carefully

I have had an agent uncheck my free upgrade on a leg I had already cleared with status when applying a RUC in the past. What will happen is you'll be pulled back to coach assigned a random seat, or worse placed in waiting seat assignment and then placed on the wait list for upgrade. I found this out when I had my 3B seat boarding pass scanned after applying a RUC on my second leg and a 1B ticket spit out. The gate agent proudly explained "congrats you were upgraded, in fact I just processed you, you were on the stand-by list"
In this case, you should have specified the segments on which you wanted to use the RUC.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's what I did, and the upgrade on LAX-LAS cleared a few days ago.

But I'm #3 for 1 seat, so I don't see this RUC clearing in advance anyway
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In this case, you should have specified the segments on which you wanted to use the RUC.
lesson learned, you would think that you shouldn't have to tell the agent not to take you out of first class for a shot at getting into first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.