Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

To Board or Not To Board: That is the Question...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Board or Not To Board: That is the Question...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Think the issue is that at AMS the flight handling is pushed to KLM systems. This is unlike elsewhere, where the ground agents use DL systems.
Yeah but you can also push the airport standby lists to other ACI systems. How do you think they manage NRSA or oversell situations? When I checked in at the gate, I could see under my name it there was an extra line that said "waitlist C". The agents said it was in there correctly, but alas they had trouble getting it applied (took 3 agts).

DL does need to clear this up. On the one hand you have Res telling GUC pax they'll be automatically added to the airport standby list, then you have DL's own policy that says no standby list at AMS et al. I suspect many folks have missed a GUC opportunity out of AMS due to the resulting confusion.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You were lucky that KLM didn't sell all those upgrades first and leave you on the airport upgrade list with your GUC.
I've flown through AMS a dozen or so times in the last 2 years, I don't recall ever hearing/seeing them offer paid upgrades (but I have heard multiple people mention it on FT)...I might have gone for it without GUCs.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
Some of us care about bin space; I don't trust checked baggage (even gate-checked). I recall once that the gate-checked bags didn't show up for over an hour, because something broke.
I've had a gate checked bag damaged, which puzzled the agent in the baggage claim area, but there was no gate agent when I walked off the jetway upon arrival. Another time my gate checked bag was apparently lost, but it mysteriously appeared behind the GA's podium when I entered the terminal.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I watched a Rolla board get jammed up in the baggage elevator one day in DTW. The bag's owner was a bit devastated (rightfully so) to see her bag eaten alive and diminished to torn shreds.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DLERT
Originally Posted by sethb
Some of us care about bin space; I don't trust checked baggage (even gate-checked). I recall once that the gate-checked bags didn't show up for over an hour, because something broke.
I recall once that the gate-checked bags didn't show up for over an hour, because something broke

Since gate checked baggage is handled manually except for the last 15 feet of travel on a belt loader at the planeside - the only that was broke was the lack of a person to fetch the bags and bring them topside inside the jetway for claiming.
Oh one other odd possibility the airplane cargo door would not open -
but WHY not tell it like it is ?
Most large airplane doors open electrically - small planes manually.
They managed to jam the elevator bringing the bags up to the gateway, with the bags inside, and no way to open the door to get them out (for an hour).
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I've flown through AMS a dozen or so times in the last 2 years, I don't recall ever hearing/seeing them offer paid upgrades (but I have heard multiple people mention it on FT)...I might have gone for it without GUCs.
You have to check the kiosk in the KLM Crown Lounge; I did this to check my seat on the AMS-ATL segment, and found the offer to upgrade for 289 euros.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by ND76
You have to check the kiosk in the KLM Crown Lounge; I did this to check my seat on the AMS-ATL segment, and found the offer to upgrade for 289 euros.
I've also been offered a chance to bid for an upgrade at OLCI. I tried to but was never able to get the bid to go through even when asking their Twitter team. I asked at the lounge about buying up and they said J was full. I ended up getting op-upped, but my wife didn't (same PNR). I sat in EC.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I watched a Rolla board
Is that luggage which is manufactured in Rolla, Missouri?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ND76
Is that luggage which is manufactured in Rolla, Missouri?
Maybe it's designed by their engineering students.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.