Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta AMEX card worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Is Delta AMEX card worth it?

We let our Delta AMEX card expire when we left Atlanta. Now we are hoping to take some flights to Asia on Delta and wonder if it's worth getting another Amex card for points and what few benefits the card seems to have. We're in Southwest country now for points. Maybe an AMEX card with AMEX membership points? Thank you
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
I don't think a Delta AmEx makes since if you don't fly them often, to take advantage of the free checked bag benefit. Maybe the companion certificate that comes with some of the cards would work to your favor and cover the annual fee. If you can finagle a bonus or get the fee waived, it might make sense for your upcoming trips to Asia, but the Platinum AmEx, with its $200 credit for airline fees like bag charges, might suit you better, especially if you enjoy its other benefits, such as SkyClub access (which I think only covers one of you).

Last edited by samonyc; Jan 28, 2016 at 8:10 pm
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
I'm in CHA, which has no SW presence, but have occasionally flown out of BNA because of price (competing with SW probably). Many times, it's cheaper to fly out of CHA, BNA or TYS - then thru ATL - than it is to fly out of ATL directly. So DL is not out of the picture for you.

I have the Delta Amex Plat as well as the Amex Plat. Have had the non-DL Plat for many years - enjoying lounge access (tho now restricted to card holders only), $200 waiver (on 1 specified airline) as well as hotel, rental car and insurance perks.

The only reason we (my wife and I each have DL Amex Plats) got the DL Amex Plats was for the additional MQMs bonus last year to push us into Diamond for GUC for our intl flights 4 times a year. Otherwise, it does have Amex insurance perks, but not the DL Skyclub entry (discounted only) or $200 waiver (ironically) The Amex points from the non DL Amex card are great for alot of Amazon purchases!
As mentioned, it does have the companion cert, which we haven't used yet.

Check some of the other points web sites - alot of them weigh in on the benefits/perks of each - but it's really going to be up to you as to what you'll use/benefit from.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BHammy
Otherwise, it does have Amex insurance perks, but not the DL Skyclub entry (discounted only) or $200 waiver (ironically)
Not really that ironic that the DL branded Amex Plat card does not have the $200 airline credit (and other bennies) when you consider that it is only $195/year vs. $450/year for the non-branded Platinum Amex card. Despite both having "Platinum" in their names, they are really very different products as reflected in their annual fee pricing.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:22 am

Only you can answer the question of if its "worth it" but from what you're telling me:

Amex Gold - no, not worth it. You'll get free bags to Asia anyways and overhead space wont be an issue on those flights so who cares about zone 1 boarding? Delta points for spend is nice but if youre an infrequent flier you're better off with a Capital One Venture, Quicksilver or Chase Sapphire card.

Amex Platnium - maybe this one is worth it. You'll at least get a companion certifiate out of the deal and can book a flight for you and your wife anywhere in the country. Some people complain about flight availability with this cert but with a little planning and not being in super peak season (ie dont try and book a flight for THanksgiving week in late October or a flight to the Bay Area next weekend) you can get a trip anywhere. We've had little trouble over the years flying from NYC to SFO, PDX, LAX and TPA.

Delta Reserve - NO def not worth it. If you're going to shell out this much money and arent a frequent enough flyer to care about MQM's then the annual fee would be MUCH better spent on the Amex platnium. It gets you skyclub access, priority pass, free global entry and $200 in airline credit. A much better deal than the Delta Reserve.

Happy travels. Go to Cambodia.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
Not really that ironic that the DL branded Amex Plat card does not have the $200 airline credit (and other bennies) when you consider that it is only $195/year vs. $450/year for the non-branded Platinum Amex card. Despite both having "Platinum" in their names, they are really very different products as reflected in their annual fee pricing.
Irony: "a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result."

I understand that they are two different cards with different annual fees.

The irony is that the non-Delta branded one has more Delta perks than the Delta branded one.

One would think: Delta card = Delta perks
vs
Amex Plat = general perks

But in fact the Amex Plat (non DL) has more specific Delta perks than the Delta branded one.

Hence: irony (see definition above)
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Delta Plat AMEX is 100% worth it to me.

$195 annual fee, which I have had waived for 3 consecutive years.

You get:

-Free bags ($25 value per person per leg of your trip)
-Companion cert (have used when flying out West to go skiing, usually on flights that were $700+ per person, so a $685+ savings)
-Onboard discounts for food/alcohol
-2 miles per dollar spent with Delta
-10k MQM bonus for $25k spend (less useful if you don't spend a lot or are not trying to hit elite status)
-Sign-up bonus of 30k+ miles and 5k+ MQMs (depends on the offer you get)

Even if you only fly Delta twice a year, the companion cert and free bags easily cover the $195 fee.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by WillSkiGT
Delta Plat AMEX is 100% worth it to me.

$195 annual fee, which I have had waived for 3 consecutive years.
How did you get it waved?
I got it solely to grab the sign up bonus (10k mqm) last year, and now see the only value in the companion certificate. I even avoid using it, because even on DL tickets my chase sapphire gives me 2 points / dollar spent...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Irony: ...

The irony is that the non-Delta branded one has more Delta perks than the Delta branded one.

vs

But in fact the Amex Plat (non DL) has more specific Delta perks than the Delta branded one.

Sometimes. The free bags thing is worth more to some people than others for example.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Irony: "a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result."

vs

The Amex Plat does not have "more Delta perks than the Delta branded one." That's completely false.

Amex plat has lounge access (for cardmember only), and a $200 airline credit that can be used on any airline.

DL plat has MQM boost at 25k/50k spend, Zone 1 boarding, first checked bag free, lounge access for $29 (vs $50 normally), 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases, 20% off onboard purchases, and a coach companion pass once each year (that works on low fare classes). It also provides MQM and RDM bonuses on signup.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by injera
Only you can answer the question of if its "worth it" but from what you're telling me:

Amex Gold - no, not worth it. You'll get free bags to Asia anyways and overhead space wont be an issue on those flights so who cares about zone 1 boarding? Delta points for spend is nice but if youre an infrequent flier you're better off with a Capital One Venture, Quicksilver or Chase Sapphire card.

Amex Platnium - maybe this one is worth it. You'll at least get a companion certifiate out of the deal and can book a flight for you and your wife anywhere in the country. Some people complain about flight availability with this cert but with a little planning and not being in super peak season (ie dont try and book a flight for THanksgiving week in late October or a flight to the Bay Area next weekend) you can get a trip anywhere. We've had little trouble over the years flying from NYC to SFO, PDX, LAX and TPA.

Delta Reserve - NO def not worth it. If you're going to shell out this much money and arent a frequent enough flyer to care about MQM's then the annual fee would be MUCH better spent on the Amex platnium. It gets you skyclub access, priority pass, free global entry and $200 in airline credit. A much better deal than the Delta Reserve.
The cards you are mentioning are all Delta Amex Cards, DL Platinum Amex and straight Amex Platinum/Gold cards are different products. Only because someone else mentioned the Platinum Amex, the outline can get confusing.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
The PRG Card gives 3 MR points per dollar spent on airfare. You can transfer those points to Delta. While buying with the Delta card only gets you two miles per dollar spent, its good to have should you check a lot of luggage. I don't, so I will use the PRG often for Delta airfare. Also, you can select Delta as your airline to receive $100 in fee reimbursements with the PRG.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by matthew64832
The Amex Plat does not have "more Delta perks than the Delta branded one." That's completely false.

Amex plat has lounge access (for cardmember only), and a $200 airline credit that can be used on any airline.

DL plat has MQM boost at 25k/50k spend, Zone 1 boarding, first checked bag free, lounge access for $29 (vs $50 normally), 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases, 20% off onboard purchases, and a coach companion pass once each year (that works on low fare classes). It also provides MQM and RDM bonuses on signup.
Matthew,
Thank you for the correction. Those additional points of Delta perks are worth while (MQMs, the reason I got the card)
The main irony is that the Delta card doesn't get SC access, but non brand does.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Matthew,
Thank you for the correction. Those additional points of Delta perks are worth while (MQMs, the reason I got the card)
The main irony is that the Delta card doesn't get SC access, but non brand does.
Wrong. The DL Reserve credit card and regular AmEx Platinum charge card both give lounge access (when there's a same day DL flight) as well as the same level of customer service. Both have approximately the same annual fee.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Side note on the Companion certificate -
Delta's Amex Platinum - companion certificate is good only for "Y" coach and apparently from reading elsewhere not for "W" Comfort.
Delta Amex Reserve - companion certificate good in all classes F and J included based on seat availability.

Yes confusion about the Platinums -
Delta's Amex Platinum is the middle grade card (Gold/Platinum/Reserve) with only Delta perks.
Gold $95 annual fee - Platinum $195 annual fee - Reserve $450 annual fee.
Delta should really address this confusion combining Gold and Platinum ! Calling the Reserve Card a Diamond level or something on that order.
American Express Platinum is one of the top dog cards covering some of the Delta perks as well as other airlines perks.
The $450 is best spent on the Amex Card non-branded especially if not interested in a mileage hunt.
Use the points for fare reduction/redemption on other airlines as well as Delta.
The Amex Platinum bonuses are a better bang for the buck with the TSA/Global entry paid every 5 years and the $200 annual spending allowance on the carrier designated as the one for primary travel.
And then the lounges of other airlines and Delta's SkyClub as well as Amex's Centurion and some private "Priority Lounges"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.