Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How many times could I cancel in a row without penalty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

I bought tickets less than 24 hours ago for DTW-FCO for May 2016. The price had gone low enough that I pulled the trigger.

Now I think the price might go even lower. What is to stop me from buying a new ticket today and cancelling my current ticket within the 24 hour free cancellation window. And then doing that again tomorrow, and again the next day, and the next, etc. etc. etc, until the ticket is priced lower?

Obviously if the ticket went up, that would be the day I would not cancel.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jimfrac
I bought tickets less than 24 hours ago for DTW-FCO for May 2016. The price had gone low enough that I pulled the trigger.

Now I think the price might go even lower. What is to stop me from buying a new ticket today and cancelling my current ticket within the 24 hour free cancellation window. And then doing that again tomorrow, and again the next day, and the next, etc. etc. etc, until the ticket is priced lower?

Obviously if the ticket went up, that would be the day I would not cancel.
Nothing is stopping you, but DL charges your card right away, but the refund can take some time to go back to your card. So your credit limit may stop you.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jimfrac
I What is to stop me from buying a new ticket today and cancelling my current ticket within the 24 hour free cancellation window. And then doing that again tomorrow, and again the next day, and the next, etc. etc. etc, until the ticket is priced lower?
The probability that DL drops prices five days in a row for a relevant date range and same city pair is vanishingly small.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

There is no limit. You can cancel within 24 hours - that's a rule - Delta isn't being kind - and they can't take it away if you do it a lot.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by kop84
Nothing is stopping you, but DL charges your card right away, but the refund can take some time to go back to your card. So your credit limit may stop you.
My refunds come back pretty quick to my Delta Amex.

I have played this game a few times, and what always happens is after a few days the fare goes up or I can't get the good fare on the flights I want.

Then the 24 hour clock ticks down (or ticks until midnight in ATL) and then I'm locked in.

David
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is a violation of DL's COC to book a ticket which you do not intend to use. DL gets to make that determination. All the DOT rule does is state that you are entitled to a fee-free cancellation. It does not require DL to permit you to rebook.

The same thing is true of refundable tickets. They can be cancelled for a full refund at any point. But, that doesn't mean that DL won't take action if DL determines that you don't have the intent to fly the ticket.

While there are no reports of DL cracking down, both UA and AA have reports of action taken by the carrier, including UA revoking a GS status and zeroing out an individual's massive mileage balance.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Often1
It is a violation of DL's COC to book a ticket which you do not intend to use. ...
He does intend to use it.

But, if plans change, they change.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
It is a violation of DL's COC to book a ticket which you do not intend to use. DL gets to make that determination. All the DOT rule does is state that you are entitled to a fee-free cancellation. It does not require DL to permit you to rebook.
I just did this last week to book a ticket. I definitely am going, but the question is at what ticket price. So if I book a ticket and the price goes up, i will be keeping the ticket I purchased. If it goes down then I will ask for a refund and book another ticket.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by kaaria
I just did this last week to book a ticket. I definitely am going, but the question is at what ticket price. So if I book a ticket and the price goes up, i will be keeping the ticket I purchased. If it goes down then I will ask for a refund and book another ticket.
Certainly if you cancel and rebook a cheaper ticket DL would have no issue.

The question comes when somebody executes a long stream of cancel/rebuy at the same price in order to keep that option you state alive.

DL does have to allow the cancels/refunds. But they could get tired of this and call you bad names.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If instead of doing a cancel and booking a new ticket, the phone agent instead changes the current ticket or exchanges it for a new one, this does not restart the 24 hour clock for free refunds. Be careful about this technical detail.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I did this for a week while my wife and I debated going to the Caribbean this winter. I did intend to fly it, but we were trying to decide if we could do both a house addition and vacation. Ended up canceling after 5 days.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
He does intend to use it.

But, if plans change, they change.
That's not what the COC says. It's not whether you intend to fly, it's whether you intend to fly the specific ticket booked. Cancel 3-4 times and you've created the ammo for DL to decide you don't intend to fly the ticket booked.

As the UA and AA folks found, it's the carrier's sole decision so doesn't really matter what you or I think.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:26 pm

That's not what the COC says. It's not whether you intend to fly, it's whether you intend to fly the specific ticket booked. Cancel 3-4 times and you've created the ammo for DL to decide you don't intend to fly the ticket booked.

As the UA and AA folks found, it's the carrier's sole decision so doesn't really matter what you or I think.
Can you point me to that section of the COC? I don't see wording to that effect.

The only rule I see pertains to multiple fictitious bookings.

Also, if this is the UA GS to who you refer, his situation is much different than the OP's.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nt-closed.html

Last edited by emrdoc; Dec 1, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Sorry, I think you are reading too much into this.

If he books ticket "A" and intends to fly, then he intends to fly.

If a few hours later his plans change no matter what those changes are, he can cancel. The poster made it clear, on each and every ticket, he did plan to fly and only cancelled for a legitimate reason - better price. Not a fake booking or never intended to fly. If the rate did not change, he would keep the ticket that he INTENDED to fly with.

No different than someone buying a ticket for a business meeting and planning to cancel if the meeting was later cancelled.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Sorry, I think you are reading too much into this.

If he books ticket "A" and intends to fly, then he intends to fly.

If a few hours later his plans change no matter what those changes are, he can cancel. The poster made it clear, on each and every ticket, he did plan to fly and only cancelled for a legitimate reason - better price. Not a fake booking or never intended to fly. If the rate did not change, he would keep the ticket that he INTENDED to fly with.

No different than someone buying a ticket for a business meeting and planning to cancel if the meeting was later cancelled.
Nope. Each booking is considered separate and becomes multiple bookings. Unless the fare goes down every single day then there's no reason for cancelling and rebooking except to circumvent pricing/capacity controls, which is a violation of DL rules. It's at the sole discretion of DL, what you feel doesn't matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.