Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flights to the Bahamas "Not Upgrade Eligible"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist

I recently booked a flight to the Bahamas (BWI-ATL-MHH-ATL-BWI) and for both Marsh Harbour legs the upgrade status is listed as "NOT UPGRADE ELIGIBLE". I called the DM line and the agent thought it was weird, but checked with a supervisor who said flights to the Bahamas aren't eligible for complimentary upgrades. It's a short flight so I don't really care, but that answer seemed weird to me since the Bahamas are not listed in the T&C.

I am traveling with my wife (FO), paid ticket in V class, aircraft is a CRJ-700 and the first class cabin is not labeled "Delta One".

Again, not a big deal because it's a short flight, but has Delta stopped complimentary upgrades to the Bahamas, or what am I missing?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that NAS flights are still showing as upgrade eligible, I'd just attribute it to typical DL website wonkiness.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
when is the flight? after the C+ policy change?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Its just typical DL.com misunderstanding what it's reading. Something at some point causes the system to think it's not upgrade eligible. There's so many exceptions to exceptions that it's better to have it default and say no upgrades, then to say upgrades eligible and it not be true.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
when is the flight? after the C+ policy change?
Flights are in March, so before that. It may also have something to do with the fact that this is a new route this season. I'll check it again in a few months (maybe some other Medallions will have complained by then). It seems odd Nassau would be eligible but Marsh Harbour wouldn't be.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
:PURE SPECULATION:

New Delta One Route now that B6 is sending their Mint Product down there?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hi55us
:PURE SPECULATION:

New Delta One Route now that B6 is sending their Mint Product down there?
For a three hour flight? I highly doubt that. Not sure why JetBlue would even use Mint on that route TBH.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The Bahamas are in the Caribbean = medallion upgrade eligible.

Try sending a tweet to DLAssist and see if they can put the upgrade request through.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:36 pm

You definitely want to straighten this out for any Caribbean location. At SXM I swear a little friend favor to a contract worker would have me stuck in economy when I was using a SWU
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
Originally Posted by WWads
For a three hour flight? I highly doubt that. Not sure why JetBlue would even use Mint on that route TBH.
It's a 2-hour flight in an RJ.

This is definitely a programming mistake due to a new route.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:58 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Typical problem when you try to request an upgrade on caribbean flights a few days after schedules are loaded. I usually send a DM to @DeltaAssist and they are able to put the upgrade request for me.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Just an an update, I called the DM line a few more times but got a better response from the Twitter team:

DM Line Call #1: Delta does not offer complimentary upgrades to the Bahamas
DM Line Call #2: Delta does offer complimentary upgrades to the Bahamas, but only to Nassau (not MHH)
DM Line Call #3: You cannot be added to the upgrade list since you are on the same PNR as a lower status Medallion (my wife is FO)
Twitter: This is a known issue and will be fixed in February, passengers flying before that are being manually updated at the gate (no upgrades will clear at the window).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:02 am
Original Poster

I asked the Twitter team for an update on these upgrades and this is what they said:

Unfortunately, Complimentary Upgrades are subject to availability on Delta designated Codeshare flights with RU/OU inventory. Due to the Codeshare availability and class of service with Expressjet, the complimentary upgrade is not offered. Sorry to disappoint.

Does this make sense to anyone? What exactly is "Codeshare availability"? In any event, it seems like the inability to request complimentary medallion upgrades on this route is intentional rather than a glitch with a new route. Still seems weird since the plane has a F cabin and there are no caveats on the complimentary medallion upgrade website referencing the Caribbean...

Does NAS still offer complimentary upgrades?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I asked the Twitter team for an update on these upgrades and this is what they said:

Unfortunately, Complimentary Upgrades are subject to availability on Delta designated Codeshare flights with RU/OU inventory. Due to the Codeshare availability and class of service with Expressjet, the complimentary upgrade is not offered. Sorry to disappoint.

Does this make sense to anyone? What exactly is "Codeshare availability"? In any event, it seems like the inability to request complimentary medallion upgrades on this route is intentional rather than a glitch with a new route. Still seems weird since the plane has a F cabin and there are no caveats on the complimentary medallion upgrade website referencing the Caribbean...

Does NAS still offer complimentary upgrades?
Just did a test booking for JFK-NAS, and ATL-FPO in May. Both show as upgrade requested. ATL-MHH shows ineligible though. Really strange indeed.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWads
Just did a test booking for JFK-NAS, and ATL-FPO in May. Both show as upgrade requested. ATL-MHH shows ineligible though. Really strange indeed.
I tried calling the DM line two more times as well, the first representative said not all international flights are upgrade eligible and it was my fault for not calling to check eligibility before ticketing. Ok, HUCA.

The second rep said that the reason is that this flight is actually marketed as business class, despite being on a CRJ-700. I told her a test booking showed the flight marketed as F, not J, and she said asked me to hold and then said, "I have nothing further to say on this, can I help you with something else?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.