Wiki Posts
Search

Making bump arrangements a leg early?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Making bump arrangements a leg early?

I've got a flight in 2 weeks JFK-DTW-NRT-SIN, and i know that the DTW-NRT is oversold, and NRT-SIN is booked full, thus I assume they will be offering bumps at DTW. Now my layover in DTW is very short, ~50 min, so likely be a bit late to get in on the bump offers.

Has anyone had any luck figuring out a bump the leg before? IE could i talk to someone at JFK in the event they need volunteers to take a later flight out of DTW before i even get there? Or are these all handled solely by the GA at the departure airport?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta
They are all handled solely by the GA, specifically just because they are oversold doesn't mean that all PX will show up.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Your best bet is to hope for the VDB offer at check in. Put in a low amount (I always put in $100 for Domestic, $200 for intl) so you'll be at the top of the list.

Otherwise everything has to be done at the airport with the gate agent. JFK will not help you at all as the DTW will be in charge of bumps on your DTW-NRT flight. Nor will the medallion line, sky club etc.

If you could get in touch with the DTW sky club agent they could speak to the gate for you while you're still in the air but I doubt the GA will be there until about 90 minutes before departure though maybe longer since it's a big plane with a lot of pax.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a bump offer at check in. By coincidence there is an event in DTW the evening of my flight that i wish to attend, so would be GREAT if i could get bumped and attend it
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
FWIW, I used to be an agent for US at TYS. I checked a man in for a TYS-CLT-BOS flight, and when I went to put him on the HK list from CLT-BOS, I realized that the flight was actually oversold by about 80. (It had equipment swapped from a 757 to a 319). I called the gate in CLT (they didn't realize the pickle that they would soon be in) and they authorized outstations to early VDB passengers to go through a different connecting city.

Rare, but it happens.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
depends do they oversold a lot though, i just flown SEA-HKG Weds and it had cargo and made the plane overweight, beside the normal OLCI volunteer pops,

received a call from DL saying that would give $500 Giftcard plus another flight tmr or on KE so chances are if you talk and negotiate with him, he can offer better or the schedule you wanted IF you get a call.

DL is not going to contact everyone till way closer to departure though (my call was about 3.5hours from departure) coz RM is not going to just waste money lol

if u wanted to stay at DTW then tried to get bumped on both segment lol
i am sure you can tell the GA at JFK if offered that u want to go to DTW next flight then tmr DTW-NRT-SIN
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Felixishim
received a call from DL saying that would give $500 Giftcard plus another flight tmr or on KE so chances are if you talk and negotiate with him, he can offer better or the schedule you wanted IF you get a call.

DL is not going to contact everyone till way closer to departure though (my call was about 3.5hours from departure) coz RM is not going to just waste money lol
Not money, but I got a call from an agent in PHX about 3 hours before a flight. I was on the list for upgrades, but none had cleared. He offered me confirmed first class on both legs with a different connection if I would swap. Got me home 30 minutes later, earned a few more miles for a slightly longer routing. I was pleased.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The flight can't be oversold until T-30. It may be overbooked, but it isn't oversold until there are more people ready to board than there are seats.

That's not an insignificant issue. All it takes is a couple of misconnects, a couple of noshows and someone getting sick and suddenly what is overbooked goes out with empty seats.

A low "bid" at check-in won't help OP as the VDB won't be processed until the gate and he won't likely make it to the gate.

Realistically, OP should not sweat this. Overbooked is common. Oversold is uncommon.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:35 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I'm curious to know what info you're going by to determine that it's overbooked? It's extremely unusual for a flight to be overbooked 2 weeks ahead, especially such a large aircraft, unless, of course, they had an aircraft down guage.

If you're going by the seat maps, that, of course, doesn't show blocked seats. Have they stopped selling seats? Did a DL agent tell you it was overbooked?

I'd be curious to check KVS for availability , if you'd consider telling the date. You can PM me, if you don't want to publicize it.

Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm curious to know what info you're going by to determine that it's overbooked? It's extremely unusual for a flight to be overbooked 2 weeks ahead, especially such a large aircraft, unless, of course, they had an aircraft down guage.

If you're going by the seat maps, that, of course, doesn't show blocked seats. Have they stopped selling seats? Did a DL agent tell you it was overbooked?

I'd be curious to check KVS for availability , if you'd consider telling the date. You can PM me, if you don't want to publicize it.

I have a friend who works for Delta who confirmed that my first leg is overbooked, I called today to ask if i could pre-emtively get a bump so i could attend an event in DTW that night (long shot) and the agent confirmed not only the overbook of the first flight but that the 2nd leg (NRT-SIN) was booked full.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
I have a friend who works for Delta who confirmed that my first leg is overbooked, I called today to ask if i could pre-emtively get a bump so i could attend an event in DTW that night (long shot) and the agent confirmed not only the overbook of the first flight but that the 2nd leg (NRT-SIN) was booked full.
Cool beans!

I do know, that, it's been posted before, that, NRT/SIN is one of those routes that they don't like to sell "NRT/SIN". Sometimes, you'll find that availability for NRT/SIN shows J0 F0, but, there's tons of availability USA/SIN and vice versa.

Do lettuce know what happenz!

Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Cool beans!

I do know, that, it's been posted before, that, NRT/SIN is one of those routes that they don't like to sell "NRT/SIN". Sometimes, you'll find that availability for NRT/SIN shows J0 F0, but, there's tons of availability USA/SIN and vice versa.

Do lettuce know what happenz!

Gotcha! Ya I booked it as a MR 'JFK-SIN' and it tossed in the layover in NRT obviously. Everyone and everything is confirming that 2 weeks out its oversold, so fingers crossed i can get a bump and spend the night in DTW going out the next day. Theres significantly more seats the next day (most importantly in D1 so hopefully a GUC gets me upgraded!)
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Gotcha! Ya I booked it as a MR 'JFK-SIN' and it tossed in the layover in NRT obviously. Everyone and everything is confirming that 2 weeks out its oversold, so fingers crossed i can get a bump and spend the night in DTW going out the next day. Theres significantly more seats the next day (most importantly in D1 so hopefully a GUC gets me upgraded!)
However it might not be overbooked if you try and price JFK-SIN. Just because DTW-NRT and NRT-SIN show overbooked doesn't mean that there aren't seats still for NRT-SIN if flying JFK-NRT. DL uses married segments and you have to look at the whole route as one before you can determine if it's oversold.

The flights out of and into NRT are hard to determine over booking due to this. I've had plenty of cases of having problems booking a route through NRT because of this.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
However it might not be overbooked if you try and price JFK-SIN. Just because DTW-NRT and NRT-SIN show overbooked doesn't mean that there aren't seats still for NRT-SIN if flying JFK-NRT. DL uses married segments and you have to look at the whole route as one before you can determine if it's oversold.
Here's what the OP said a few posts up . . . .

I have a friend who works for Delta who confirmed that my first leg is overbooked
Any employee can easily check on Deltanet to see exactly how many seats are booked, open, and the amount that the system will allow a particular flight to be overbooked by.

The NRT issue you mention regarding married segments, I also mentioned in my post just above.

Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Here's what the OP said a few posts up . . . .

Any employee can easily check on Deltanet to see exactly how many seats are booked, open, and the amount that the system will allow a particular flight to be overbooked by.

The NRT issue you mention regarding married segments, I also mentioned in my post just above.

However the way I read his post is that his friend is checking DTW-NRT and NRT-SIN. This can yield different results from DTW-SIN, JFK-SIN, JFK-DTW-NRT-SIN, or JFK-NRT-SIN. I've been told by DL agents a flight is overbooked and have been told they can't say anything other then how it shows for the routing they input. Ie there's no way to easily know if NRT-SIN is overbooked actually or if it's just showing overbooked because of how they're searching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.