Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Inc. Bank for Court Ordered Judgement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Inc. Bank for Court Ordered Judgement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LaserSailor

The spirit of FT is people helping people with real travel issues, not crap like this. Get legal advice from a lawyer, not a internet board. This sort of stuff degrades FT, IMHO, except for its amusement value. I confess I get a warm feeling when I realize that some of the people here represent businesses I probably compete against.
If you are against posts like these, why take time away from the amazingly successful business you have and waste your valuable time denigrating others who have different opinions? It would seem somebody who is as successful as you wouldn't waste their time on "crap."

PS - This is a "travel related issue." @:-)

Feel free to add me to your ignore list - it would be an honor ^
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The spirit of FT is people helping people with real travel issues, not crap like this. Get legal advice from a lawyer, not a internet board. This sort of stuff degrades FT, IMHO, except for its amusement value. I confess I get a warm feeling when I realize that some of the people here represent businesses I probably compete against.
OP asked a very specific question and never asked for legal advice. It was offered unsolicited by many in this thread.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Thread drift. Oops, I misread your original post thinking you were saying true attorneys were not allowed.
No prob. Many of us fly under the radar from time to time.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Hello All,

Sorry to ruffle feathers, but I am preparing to recover costs (four figures) resulting from a significant delay by Delta Airlines (13 hours). I know it will take time, I'm used to cost recovery timelines, and I can comfortably absorb the costs until recovery.

An article about suing airlines stated that it is one thing to get a judgement and it is another to be able to collect the judgement. So I am preparing for the end game as I usually do.

I will post updates if I find anything significant about my situation that would be helpful to others. I will not let Delta Airlines get away with brushing off my case with a form letter.

I fully intend to exhaust all venues to recover my costs, but I will not be angry about it - just methodical.

Cheers
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by JaggerFoo
Hello All,

Sorry to ruffle feathers, but I am preparing to recover costs (four figures) resulting from a significant delay by Delta Airlines (13 hours). I know it will take time,
So as far as the delay, did DL refuse to refund your money or rebook you? If not, on what basis do you believe you even have a case?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: AADULtArer
There are much better ways for banking discovery than soliciting on a public internet forum, but if you are experienced in cost recovery you know that already.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Hello All,

Sorry to ruffle feathers, but I am preparing to recover costs (four figures) resulting from a significant delay by Delta Airlines (13 hours). I know it will take time, I'm used to cost recovery timelines, and I can comfortably absorb the costs until recovery.

An article about suing airlines stated that it is one thing to get a judgement and it is another to be able to collect the judgement. So I am preparing for the end game as I usually do.

I will post updates if I find anything significant about my situation that would be helpful to others. I will not let Delta Airlines get away with brushing off my case with a form letter.

I fully intend to exhaust all venues to recover my costs, but I will not be angry about it - just methodical.

Cheers
Some more details about the original event may be helpful. What caused the delay, what expenses did you incur, what was deltas reaction to your requests, etc.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
There are much better ways for banking discovery than soliciting on a public internet forum, but if you are experienced in cost recovery you know that already.
I'd rather demand that a tug be seized as an asset and drive that thing out of the airport myself .
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Im curious, what amount of money could one possibly have lost due to a 13 hour delay that would require going to court? Worst case you've got a hotel, some food, possibly a change of clothes? Couple hundred bucks at most?
My guess would be last minute walkup fare on another airline, or consequential damages (lost a million dollar sale for example, although that wouldn't be small claims!). In either case the COC would preclude those damages, although a judge could potentially decide some portion of the COC was improper and still award damages.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:04 pm

None. All of Delta's money is stored under a mattress locked in C.E. Woolman's desk.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Hello All,

Cheers
In order to sue the airline, you would need something other than a delay. While a 13 hour delay is pretty significant, there really isn't any legal recourse for it.

Anyway, have you read the Contract of Carriage for an international flight yet? This might be a good guide to see what you are and are not entitled to.

http://www.delta.com/content/dam/del...riage_intl.pdf
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I'd rather demand that a tug be seized as an asset and drive that thing out of the airport myself .
Really? You don't want to take one of the Porches? If you want something big, just seize a plane and drive it off.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Not true, one can bring legal counsel to small claims. The purpose of small claims is to have lower burden on the affected parties (and of course a lower sum).

When I won a settlement against KE in small claims and the judge was explaining what happens when one does not pay a judgement I mentioned to KE's lawyer that I always wanted to own a 747. He smiled. I got my check a few days later.
As I said, lawyers are not allowed in small claims in California, with few exceptions which would not apply to Delta. In Utah it may be different, as the laws in each state is different.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by spamkiller
Really? You don't want to take one of the Porches? If you want something big, just seize a plane and drive it off.
I'm guessing DL only leases the Porsches, or perhaps Porsche rents them to DL.

Also, I'd prefer not to create an international front page news story by commandeering a plane, nor do I want to test the local Air Force scrambling times .
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:43 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Also, I'd prefer not to create an international front page news story by commandeering a plane
I'd bet they'd be GLAD to give up a CR2!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.