Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to DL Reserve AMEX, effect on MQM boosts/certificate timing etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading to DL Reserve AMEX, effect on MQM boosts/certificate timing etc

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
I actually have MRs planned for Diamond that should just eclipse the mark needed by about 400 miles or so... What I was hoping is to be able to give myself a little more breathing room to account for any math errors on my part or mileage credit estimate errors. What I am trying to figure out is how the fact that I have already spent 60k+ will be rolled over if I upgrade the card today (or anytime before the end of the year).
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by CAETravlr
Thanks guys for all of the explanations. I am still a little confused, so I will make my situation a little clearer. I have spent about $62K on my platinum card so far this year, but am unsure whether or not I will spend another 18 - 19k. It will be close. I am Platinum for 2016 teetering on the edge of Diamond, so any additional MQMs would be a very good thing. Would I already get an additional 10K MQMs since my spending threshold has already crossed?
It appears that you should have received 20K MQMs for the spend on the Platinum card. Based on what others are saying now, if you upgrade you'll start with $12K spend towards the next 15K MQMs, so you'll need to spend another $18K to get them.

At some point in the past, it appears it was handled differently.

If you never had the Reserve card, you might be better off getting a new Reserve card (and MQM bonus) and canceling the Platinum card. You'll start at $0 spend on the Reserve card, but if you aren't going to hit a threshold anyway that doesn't matter.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
I actually have MRs planned for Diamond that should just eclipse the mark needed by about 400 miles or so... What I was hoping is to be able to give myself a little more breathing room to account for any math errors on my part or mileage credit estimate errors. What I am trying to figure out is how the fact that I have already spent 60k+ will be rolled over if I upgrade the card today (or anytime before the end of the year).
I'm in a pretty similar situation, except I already have the reserve card and I don't really want two cards so my plan, should my breathing room get too tight, is to just buy MQM as a last resort (assuming they're offered).

If we get into mid December and things look dicey, I might reevaluate the second card or just do a breathing room run.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Actually, baesd on what Sethb says above, I might as well wait until closer to the end of the year, and if it DOES look like I am going to hit 80k total spend for the year, or get close enough to manufacture a little bit of spending, I can go ahead and upgrade at that point and get another 15K for hitting that threshold. Otherwise, just upgrade after the first of the year and start fresh in Jan and not pay a prorated fee.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Thanks guys for all of the explanations. I am still a little confused, so I will make my situation a little clearer. I have spent about $62K on my platinum card so far this year, but am unsure whether or not I will spend another 18 - 19k. It will be close. I am Platinum for 2016 teetering on the edge of Diamond, so any additional MQMs would be a very good thing. Would I already get an additional 10K MQMs since my spending threshold has already crossed? Would I get a more valuable companion cert on my next anniversary?

The other benefit that I was hoping to derive was the slightly higher upgrade status, but it sounds like it is more of a tie breaker than a priority boost. The situation that made me really think about that benefit hard was when I was number 8 on the list for 7 upgrades last week. It sounds like it might not have been the thing that got me over the hump, but I guess we would need a bit more information to know for sure.

I don't mind going for the upgrade if I can get the additional MQMs this year.

Another reason that I was considering upgrading next year is that I would like to get Mrs. CAETravlr a Reserve card attached to the same account (she already has the platinum along with me) so she could get into the SkyClub without paying an additional fee when traveling. But again, that probably won't matter until next year as she won't have any travel plans that arent in international Biz until next year.
At 62k in spending, you should get (or have gotten) two 10,000 MQM boosts. They come a day or so after your cycle closes. The upgrade to Reserve is effective almost immediately. So, I would recommend that you stay were you are now and monitor your spending. If it looks like you will be close to getting the 18-19k you need for the first Reserve MQM boost by the end of the calendar year, call a few days before the threshold is reached and upgrade your card. You'll also save on the annual fee if you can wait another month or so.

As far as getting your wife a card, you'll have to pay $175 for her to have the lounge access. Otherwise, she'll just have a platinum card and you'll have the club access alone. If it looks like you aren't going to make the requisite spending to get a reserve bonus this year, I see absolutely no reason to upgrade the card until 2016.

When is your account anniversary date? (Meaning when was your annual fee last charged?)
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
At 62k in spending, you should get (or have gotten) two 10,000 MQM boosts. They come a day or so after your cycle closes. The upgrade to Reserve is effective almost immediately. So, I would recommend that you stay were you are now and monitor your spending. If it looks like you will be close to getting the 18-19k you need for the first Reserve MQM boost by the end of the calendar year, call a few days before the threshold is reached and upgrade your card. You'll also save on the annual fee if you can wait another month or so.

As far as getting your wife a card, you'll have to pay $175 for her to have the lounge access. Otherwise, she'll just have a platinum card and you'll have the club access alone. If it looks like you aren't going to make the requisite spending to get a reserve bonus this year, I see absolutely no reason to upgrade the card until 2016.

When is your account anniversary date? (Meaning when was your annual fee last charged?)
That's what I am going to do, hold off until it gets closer and see if I am going to make the next threshold or not.

My next anniversary is coming up on Dec 19.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I have done this many many times. Here's how it works:

Platinum--> Reserve with under 25,000 in YTD spend (no platinum boost earned):

Your YTD spending will 100% carry over for you to potentially earn the 30k/60k Reserve bonuses.

So, if my YTD Platinum spending is 24k and I upgrade, I will get one of the 15,000 Reserve MQM boosts with 6k and 36k more in spending. (Your new thresholds are at 30k/60k, not 25k/50k)

In this scenario, you are only eligible YTD for the two reserve 15k MQM bonuses for a total of 30k MQMs.

Platinum---> Reserve with over 25,000 but under 50,000 in YTD spend (One 10k MQM Platinum boost earned)

100% of the spend over the 25k will carry over to meet the two Reserve boosts that you're now eligible for.

So, if my YTD Platinum spending is 26k, my cycle has closed ensuring that I received the 10k MQM boost, and I upgrade, I will get one of the 15,000 MQM Reserve boosts if I can reach an additional 29,000 and 59,000 in spending.

In this scenario, you have already earned one of the platinum 10k MQM boosts, and you could earn two of the Reserve boosts. This would make your maximum YTD MQM earning potential, 40k MQMs.

Platinum---> Reserve with over 50k in spending (Both 10k MQM Platinum boosts earned)

So, if my YTD Platinum spending is 51k, my cycle has closed ensuring that I received the second 10k MQM boost, and I upgrade, I will get one of the 15,000 MQM Reserve boosts if I can reach an additional 29,000 and 59,000 in spending.

In this scenario, you have already earned both of the platinum 10k MQM boosts, and you could earn two of the Reserve boosts. This would make your maximum YTD MQM earning potential, 50k MQMs.

FWIW, the reverse is not true. Meaning if you downgrade from Reserve to Platinum, you don't get the opportunity to double dip. I am a long term holder of both a personal and a business delta card, so I play this precise game of making sure that both of my cards are platinum at the beginning of the year. I make both thresholds on both platinum cards (40k MQMs), then I upgrade 1 card make the reserve card thresholds (30k MQMs) and move it back to platinum while simultaneously upgrading the other. I make its two reserve boost thresholds (30k MQMs) and down grade it before the end of the year. So, without stepping foot on a plane, I have 100k MQMs.

Hope that helps!
Interesting, never thought of that strategy- how many times can one upgrade to a reserve and then downgrade back to plat? Once a yr maybe?? what I should have done then after I got my 2 plat boost was apply for a new delta reserve instead of upgrading so I get the welcome bonus and get at least the first 15k boost if all I can spend/yr is $80k - worth the fee which will be prorated when downgraded to get extra mqm and prob cheaper than buying the miles. THANK YOU.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by squiggle
Interesting, never thought of that strategy- how many times can one upgrade to a reserve and then downgrade back to plat? Once a yr maybe?? what I should have done then after I got my 2 plat boost was apply for a new delta reserve instead of upgrading so I get the welcome bonus and get at least the first 15k boost if all I can spend/yr is $80k - worth the fee which will be prorated when downgraded to get extra mqm and prob cheaper than buying the miles. THANK YOU.
Had anyone opened up a new Reserve card for the new card bonuses and then closed the Platinum Delta card and asked to have the credit line moved to the new Reserve Card?

A couple years ago I received a great new account bonus from Skybonus to open up a business Am Ex platinum card. My SSN is used for my side business and not a Fed ID number and Am Ex only gave me a $3k credit line due to all the other Am Ex accounts I have with the same SSN. If I open a reserve account I'm assuming I'll also get a small credit line and would like to open a reserve account next year after making the $50k in purchases on the Platinum account and then close the Plat Account but only if they will roll over the credit line to the reserve account (I have a decent credit line on that account). I know that unlike Citi, if you prepay and have a large credit balance on your Am Ex account they will add the credit amount on your account to the credit line for the available credit but it's a pain to do.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: Plat Delta
Downgrading to Plat Amex

I've got an opposite issue. After years of being platinum on Delta, my travel has been mostly hotel this year and to make sure I've maximized hotel status, I have been spending mostly on my Marriott Visa. I'm just short of MQM to make silver and have only spent about $18K on my Reserve Delta Amex this year. I should make $25K in spending but $30K is not likely (it's all personal spend, I have a corporate card that I have to use).

So, because I hardly fly I no longer care about club access and have thought about downgrading to a Platinum Amex to save $$. If I do that now, will I get MQM at the Platinum level when I reach $25K in spending this year?

I believe this would happen but would love confirmation if someone has downgraded their card and been able to keep the spending towards a lower level of MQM.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Hey everybody...this is an incredibly cool conversation.

I am currently a Delta PM (mostly on $120k spend on two delta reserves) and an AA EXP from flying. With the new AA devaluations I'm thinking of switching back to Delta, especially with the DM global certificates now in play.

Unfortunately, I was less focused on hitting platinum again earlier in the year and just recently hit my $60k Delta Reserve Business spending, and began my spending on the Delta Reserve personal just yesterday with a $25k tax payment.

I have plenty of spending left to do this year, but not much time. If I want to leave open the possibility of getting 100k MQMs next year...it sounds like under every circumstance I need to downgrade to the Amex Delta Plat card before end of year.

iflyalexair - how close have you pushed your downgrades previously...is it fast enough that I can do the downgrades end of Dec to try and get my bonuses in?

Separately, I have a colleague being told by Amex agents that it is not possible to get the MQM spending boosts on a business delta reserve if you already got it from the personal delta reserve. I presume this is just a misinformed agent as otherwise this would be a huge (and unannounced) change in policy. But has anyone else had issues, or can confirm receiving MQM boosts on both in the very recent (past 2-3) months?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jason885
Separately, I have a colleague being told by Amex agents that it is not possible to get the MQM spending boosts on a business delta reserve if you already got it from the personal delta reserve. I presume this is just a misinformed agent as otherwise this would be a huge (and unannounced) change in policy. But has anyone else had issues, or can confirm receiving MQM boosts on both in the very recent (past 2-3) months?
I don't believe that's correct. AFAIK, you should get MQMs for both.

FWIW, I received MQMs from my personal Amex Reserve and my business Amex Platinum. Not exactly the data point you're seeking, of course.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:44 pm

Hey everybody...this is an incredibly cool conversation.

I am currently a Delta PM (mostly on $120k spend on two delta reserves) and an AA EXP from flying. With the new AA devaluations I'm thinking of switching back to Delta, especially with the DM global certificates now in play.

Unfortunately, I was less focused on hitting platinum again earlier in the year and just recently hit my $60k Delta Reserve Business spending, and began my spending on the Delta Reserve personal just yesterday with a $25k tax payment.

I have plenty of spending left to do this year, but not much time. If I want to leave open the possibility of getting 100k MQMs next year...it sounds like under every circumstance I need to downgrade to the Amex Delta Plat card before end of year.

iflyalexair - how close have you pushed your downgrades previously...is it fast enough that I can do the downgrades end of Dec to try and get my bonuses in?

The downgrade happens within 24 hours or so. So assuming that you have at least one cycle left within this calendar year (you almost certainly should), you'll be good to go. Also, the agent was wrong 100% in your colleague's scenario. I, and my husband, have earned every mqm bonus as I have described.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:50 am

That's good to hear, iflyalexair (you developed quite an impressive strategy!). I find myself in a complex situation that perhaps you can help me figure out...and perhaps others on this string might find useful to some degree as well?

I have:
1) Delta Reserve Business YTD Spending $60,061.73, closing date next statement of Dec 2
---> If I remember correctly, it's important to spend at least $60,500 because the $450 annual fee does not count towards the spending targets, is that right?

2) Delta Reserve Personal YTD Spending $25,597.35, closing date next statement Dec 23rd
---> I plan to hit the $60k (or I suppose, $60.5k) spending with a federal tax payments. Could hit the amount in short order.

So....best case scenario I have all my spending done by Tuesday Dec 1st, with closing dates of Dec 2nd and Dec 23rd respectively.

Couple of questions:
1/ How long after statement close can you typically use the online link to get the MQMs?
2/ What happens if I spend the $60k and downgrade both cards on Dec 25th, but haven't gotten the Delta Reserve spending bonuses yet...will I lose those bonuses?
3/ Can I request to have my statement date brought up on the Personal card, has anyone had luck with that?
4/ Am I correct in remembering that we must hit $60.5k spending in order to account for the annual fee?

Appreciate thoughts on my options to maximize getting the MQMs this year and also downgrading in time to attempt the full 100k MQMs next year as well.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:31 am

That's good to hear, iflyalexair (you developed quite an impressive strategy!). I find myself in a complex situation that perhaps you can help me figure out...and perhaps others on this string might find useful to some degree as well?

I have:
1) Delta Reserve Business YTD Spending $60,061.73, closing date next statement of Dec 2
---> If I remember correctly, it's important to spend at least $60,500 because the $450 annual fee does not count towards the spending targets, is that right?

2) Delta Reserve Personal YTD Spending $25,597.35, closing date next statement Dec 23rd
---> I plan to hit the $60k (or I suppose, $60.5k) spending with a federal tax payments. Could hit the amount in short order.

So....best case scenario I have all my spending done by Tuesday Dec 1st, with closing dates of Dec 2nd and Dec 23rd respectively.

Couple of questions:
1/ How long after statement close can you typically use the online link to get the MQMs?
2/ What happens if I spend the $60k and downgrade both cards on Dec 25th, but haven't gotten the Delta Reserve spending bonuses yet...will I lose those bonuses?
3/ Can I request to have my statement date brought up on the Personal card, has anyone had luck with that?
4/ Am I correct in remembering that we must hit $60.5k spending in order to account for the annual fee?

Appreciate thoughts on my options to maximize getting the MQMs this year and also downgrading in time to attempt the full 100k MQMs next year as well.
1) it should be on your delta website profile about 24 hours after the cycle closes. Email comes some time after that. Remember, even if your cycle were to close in January, you're awarded the mqms for 2015 calendar spend and they will count for 2015 mqm qualification even if you deposit them in January 2016.

2) you must meet the spending thresholds and hold that product at the time the cycle closes. So, if you get 60k but downgrade to platinum before the cycle closes, you'll be screwing yourself. Be patient. You'll get prorated annual fees for the cycle after you downgrade even if you do it a few days after.

3) it certainly wouldn't hurt to try. I have played around with closing dates, but IIRC, even picking a date earlier in the month will extend the current cycle to that date. I think changing the dates can only increase the length of the cycle.

4) annual fees do not count towards the spending requirements, so don't rely on that! Remember, however, that the spend is based on calendar year. So if you inadvertently miss it by the close of your cycle in December and you don't get the link email, don't worry. You'll have time to complete it.

Note: you should reevaluate your plan for 2016. It's silly to hold two reserves at the same time. you get no duplicative benefits. If you have a spouse or a frequent travel companion, it would make sense for that person to be the primary card holder to get the club access but they could deposit the reserve mqms into your account.

Also, if you are only going to spend 80k next year, you should get two platinum bonuses and two reserve bonuses, which will net 50k mqms. By holding the two reserves and not making all of the bonuses with 80k in spend, you're not only paying two higher annual fees, you're also screwing yourself out of 5k mqms.

If the companion certificate in first class is important to you, downgrade a reserve after your anniversary.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:30 am

Thx iflyalexair! I'm actually aware of the downsides holding two delta reserves, so I've calculated pretty closely in a spreadsheet model (happy to share with you if interested) the various costs and benefits at varying levels of expected value of skymiles, MQMs, and cost/opportunity cost of the spend. Going through federal taxes paying 1.87% works out fine if I value skymiles at 1.2 cents a piece, even with the double fees of delta reserve (and I actually got one of them fully refunded by Amex this year anyway).

Regarding having a spouse do it, the issue is that since she doesn't have status, the skymiles are much more valuable in my account (as a current platinum) then they are in hers as a non-medallion. At very minimum my account gets the free redeposits and waived fees.

Does that make sense?

I'm now debating whether or not instead of making platinum this year I should stop just shy of it, take 20k rollover, and then do as you suggested next year. It's an interesting thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.