Community
Wiki Posts
Search

qualifying flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

qualifying flights

I purchased a business class ticket through delta with delta ticket number: JFK-CDG-Helsinki. The flight numbers are all Air France. Now I am told that I will not receive credit for the CDG-Helsinki segment, since Air France did not operate the flight (but Finnair did).
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/earn-miles/earn-miles-with-partners/airlines.html

"Unless otherwise noted, mileage credit is only applicable to SkyTeam-marketed flights operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Mileage credit is not applicable to a SkyTeam-marketed flight operated by another airline."
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You would have been OK if CDG-HEL has been a DL codeshare flight number, which might have happened if your JFK-CDG were booked with a DL flight number. At this point, nothing can be done for DL miles although there would be a chance of retrocrediting the segment to FB or some oneworld FF program. You might want to check the rules for this.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

still confused

I remain confused.

Last edited by des16; Oct 7, 2015 at 4:04 pm Reason: mistake
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

still confused

I remain confused. First, the Delta skymiles program website
(http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ith-delta.html) says:

The chart below lists the miles and MQMs you earn according to fare class for travel on a Delta-marketed (indicated with a DL in the flight number) or Delta-ticketed flight on or after January 1, 2015.

My ticket is a delta-ticketed flight. The coupon and receipt have a 006 number associated with them.

Second, I am looking at my passenger receipt and the ticket itself. It does not say Finnair. It only says AirFrance, and then the AirFrance flight number.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
According to OP his CDG-HEL segment was operated by AY. AY is not a ST member, it is OW. No DL credit unless the flight was operated by a ST member and it was not.

If DL happened to credit the flight as a codeshare had the xJFK been a DL codeshare, that would have been an error in OP's favor.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by des16

The chart below lists the miles and MQMs you earn according to fare class for travel on a Delta-marketed (indicated with a DL in the flight number) or Delta-ticketed flight on or after January 1, 2015.

My ticket is a delta-ticketed flight. The coupon and receipt have a 006 number associated with them.
Hm, that does seem confusing, although the heading on the table below does say "Delta, Delta Shuttle, or Delta Connection-Marketed Flights." Out of curiosity did you earn any MQDs for that segment?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

still confused

I remain confused.
I earned nothing. For the sake of my sanity, I called three separate times to Delta and booked the same itinerary. I explicitly and unambiguously asked the booking agent whether I would receive milage and MQM credit for the segment between Paris and Helsinki. All three agents (as the original agent I booked with over the phone) answered affirmatively.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN

Second, I am looking at my passenger receipt and the ticket itself. It does not say Finnair. It only says AirFrance, and then the AirFrance flight number.
Do note that the footnote for the MQM column in the chart you're looking at there reads:
(3) Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) are used as a counter to determine SkyMiles Medallion status. Subject to a 500-MQM minimum. For MQMs earn on Delta-ticketed flights that are partner-marketed, please refer to delta.com/partnerairlines.
Your flight was Delta-ticketed, but partner-marketed. If you follow the link to partner flights and then click through to Air France, you'll come to another earning table. The first footnote for that table reads:
(1) Partner-marketed flights that are not ticketed by Delta will continue to earn miles based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid. Unless otherwise noted, mileage credit is only applicable to SkyTeam-marketed flights operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Mileage credit is not applicable to a SkyTeam-marketed flight operated by another airline.
Unfortunately, that leaves you out of luck. As has been noted, it's an almost universal rule of thumb that you will not earn miles on non-SkyTeam operated flights that aren't on a carrier that is directly partnered with Delta.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
I think the point is not the rule about mileage credit on non-skyteam operated flights, but the fact that somebody buys a ticket from delta airlines and then doesn't receive credit for a segment.

I guess the bottom line is always to check the MQM calculator when buying, so to avoid surprises like this one, or from E fares
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steex
Do note that the footnote for the MQM column in the chart you're looking at there reads:

Your flight was Delta-ticketed, but partner-marketed. If you follow the link to partner flights and then click through to Air France, you'll come to another earning table. The first footnote for that table reads:

Unfortunately, that leaves you out of luck. As has been noted, it's an almost universal rule of thumb that you will not earn miles on non-SkyTeam operated flights that aren't on a carrier that is directly partnered with Delta.
The basis for your saying I am out of luck is the following footnote (after following a series of links on the website): (1) Partner-marketed flights that are not ticketed by Delta will continue to earn miles based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid. Unless otherwise noted, mileage credit is only applicable to SkyTeam-marketed flights operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Mileage credit is not applicable to a SkyTeam-marketed flight operated by another airline.

And that footnote only supports my contention. It says "Partner-marketed flight that are not ticketed by Delta...." But my ticket is ticketed by Delta. So, that the rules on Delta ticketed flights that I allude to in my earlier post applies.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM PM
The basis for your saying I am out of luck is the following footnote (after following a series of links on the website): (1) Partner-marketed flights that are not ticketed by Delta will continue to earn miles based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid. Unless otherwise noted, mileage credit is only applicable to SkyTeam-marketed flights operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Mileage credit is not applicable to a SkyTeam-marketed flight operated by another airline.

And that footnote only supports my contention. It says "Partner-marketed flight that are not ticketed by Delta...." But my ticket is ticketed by Delta. So, that the rules on Delta ticketed flights that I allude to in my earlier post applies.
It seems bizarre to me, too. Did you ask more than one agent? did you try the automated "Claim missing mileage" function on dl.com?

My last ATL-CDG-ARN did not automatically award me the CDG-ARN miles but I did receive the credit for the whole ARN-AMS-ATL trip. CDG-ARN was a ST flight and I bought the ticket on dl.com, so I assumed, correctly, that the system made a mistake and just didn't pick it up automatically and claimed it via the missing mileage mechanism. It was fixed within a day and an email sent to me.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The first sentence does not qualify the following two. It's actually the opposite, the second two sentences qualify the first. The first sentence is only meant to clarify RDM earning. I see no confusion here and DL is simply following industry standards here (AA and UA have the same policies).

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 8, 2015 at 9:12 am
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by thesaints
I think the point is not the rule about mileage credit on non-skyteam operated flights, but the fact that somebody buys a ticket from delta airlines and then doesn't receive credit for a segment.

I guess the bottom line is always to check the MQM calculator when buying, so to avoid surprises like this one, or from E fares
I wouldn't necessarily trust the MQM calculator to be right, but I would use a printout of it to argue for miles. There's no substitute for checking the rules carefully yourself when you're considering a ticket that could cause any issues with mileage credit. Sometimes you need to call to get certain ticket stock and codeshare (or not) flight numbers.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I earned nothing. For the sake of my sanity, I called three separate times to Delta and booked the same itinerary. I explicitly and unambiguously asked the booking agent whether I would receive milage and MQM credit for the segment between Paris and Helsinki. All three agents (as the original agent I booked with over the phone) answered affirmatively.
Although it is reasonable to call and ask, and get the same answer three times, basically you can't believe what any DL rep tells you, never mind rely on that information. And if you tell DL that you relied on that information provided by DL reps, they won't care. The only thing you can do is get something in writing. And if it's not clear, email that question and keep the answer you get in writing. Hard to believe that this is what we are reduced to doing when dealing with DL.

Anyone see a recurrent theme in many of these threads?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.