Wiki Posts
Search

Mid-flight 747 blown engine

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Mid-flight 747 blown engine

Hello all,
Now mid flight ICN - DTW Delta One on a 747 upper deck. Heard a loud bang an hour ago and was told 15 minutes ago we lost an engine. Making an emergency landing in Tokyo which is still a 4 hour flight back as we were almost to Alaska.

Question 1. Am I safe? It's my understanding the 747 has 4 engines?

Question 2. .... question 2, I just want to land safely.

-Cam
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Good grief, these 747's are falling apart. How many incidents has Delta had in just a few months time?

To answer your question, yes, the 747 can fly just fine with three engines as long as it wasn't an uncontained failure. If you were almost to Alaska I wonder why they would turn back to NRT?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:44 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Take a deep breath and relax. While this is no doubt disconcerting, the 747 can fly just fine without one engine.

Hopefully you won't be delayed too long at NRT.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Good grief, these 747's are falling apart. How many incidents has Delta had in just a few months time?

To answer your question, yes, the 747 can fly just fine with three engines as long as it wasn't an uncontained failure. If you were almost to Alaska I wonder why they would turn back to NRT?
Thank you for your quick response. Between your comforting answer and the FA's free-flowing of Woodford Reserve since the announcement of engine failure I feel a bit more relaxed. Not much, but just a little. As always this forum steps up for help for all travelers. Gotta love it, but still a tad scared. Lol...
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
The 747 is a bird I am going to miss (upper deck). OP: You will be safe.

Safe and happy travels.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
All will be well, OP. Lots of places to land, and 3 good engines to get you there. Let us know when you land.

What's your flight number?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Maybe better chance of a replacement plane at NRT?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:28 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
According to Flight Aware DL158 was just north of the Japanese island chain when they diverted. Going to NRT kept them overland for most of the route vs. an over water continuation.

ETOPS may require that they take the shortest over water route on the diversion.

Also, parts and maintenance will be easier to deal with at NRT which is a regular Delta 747 destination than ANC which is not.

The flight landed at NRT at 6:01PM JST.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
ETOPS may require that they take the shortest over water route on the diversion.

Also, parts and maintenance will be easier to deal with at NRT which is a regular Delta 747 destination than ANC which is not.

Are they ever more than 3 hours from an airport on this route? If not, then it appears ETOPS does not apply to a 4-engined aircraft on this route.
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aer...icle_02_7.html
Old Oct 2, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Unnerving but not a big deal. I've made a few unscheduled stops at ANC because of engine failures/shutdowns.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:57 am

I assume since the flight flew all the way back to NRT it was not a true life or death situation. In those cases they will land anywhere and figure our the logistics from there.

NRT probably had a spare crew as well. Where ANC most certainly doesn't. Plus depending on the time there may not have been any customs staffed at ANC. (quick google search says customs goes home at 4:30)

So while increasing flight time, going back to NRT probably greatly reduced your delay....Glad everyone is safe and that you didn't end up in Goose Bay for a day and a half!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
Are they ever more than 3 hours from an airport on this route? If not, then it appears ETOPS does not apply to a 4-engined aircraft on this route.
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aer...icle_02_7.html
At least 6 hours (longer on 3 engines), all over water, from their diversion point to ANC.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by CamAlex
Hello all,
Now mid flight ICN - DTW Delta One on a 747 upper deck. Heard a loud bang an hour ago and was told 15 minutes ago we lost an engine. Making an emergency landing in Tokyo which is still a 4 hour flight back as we were almost to Alaska.

Question 1. Am I safe? It's my understanding the 747 has 4 engines?

Question 2. .... question 2, I just want to land safely.

-Cam
Not a concern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...ays_Flight_268
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
4 hours back to NRT vs. 6 hours to ANC seems an easy call before one even gets to over water time, relief crew, spare parts, and relief aircraft.

DL won't sacrifice safety, but once safety is in place, it does a good job of looking at overall logistics to minimize delay at scheduled destination.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ages ago I was on a DC-10 that blew an engine over the Atlantic. We diverted to the nearest appropriate airport, which was Shannon. If the captain hadn't announced what was happening, I would have been unaware of anything different in the way the plane was flying. The landing was similarly uneventful. Relax; you're in good hands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.