Search

Reaching Gold

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Reaching Gold

Hi folks,

I currently have 16,700 miles to go to reach gold. I'm in TLV now, so after flying back to JFK I should have 4500 more miles in the bag, bringing me to 12,200 to gold.

I'm booking an other return flight form JFK - TLV for November. I usually fly direct, but will flying through CDG earn me extra miles? If so, does anyone know how many extra? I'm not sure if I'll be taking any other flights this year, so I want to do my best to ensure I reach gold.

Thanks so Much!
Ari
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:06 am

Hi Ari,
You can use the gcmap tool to play around with distances. Have fun!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Hi WhiskeyBravo,

Thanks for the quick reply. That's a cool tool. I never heard of it before.
I'm a bit confused though. The total miles that it tells me for the round trip is about 5600 miles. However, my flights on Delta show a base miles of 4660 for an identical trip I did in April.

And to further complicate things in my mind, I'm receiving more base miles for the trip I'm currently on then I did in April. 2,330 for 1 way in April vs. 3,215 last week.

Any ideas why the discrepancy? I imagine it has to do with fare of based on when I booked. All were in economy.

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by grunze
Hi WhiskeyBravo,

I'm a bit confused though. The total miles that it tells me for the round trip is about 5600 miles. However, my flights on Delta show a base miles of 4660 for an identical trip I did in April.

And to further complicate things in my mind, I'm receiving more base miles for the trip I'm currently on then I did in April. 2,330 for 1 way in April vs. 3,215 last week.

Any ideas why the discrepancy? I imagine it has to do with fare of based on when I booked. All were in economy.

Thanks!

You could be flying a "direct" flight even if you were in reality routed through another airport. Also, the tool and Delta's numbers are not always an exact match.

Best way is to do a dummy booking on Delta site and see the miles that you would get. You have to login to see the MQM quote at the results page.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:46 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Hi WhiskeyBravo,

Thanks!
Base miles are now calculated depending on the cost of your ticket, that's why you see a discrepancy. You should look at MQMs instead, which should be the same if all were in economy (unless your booking code was Y or B, in that case, it would be 1.5x the regular MQMs).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:38 am

I guess my question is, is does stopping in CDG really add much distance to the trip? Just thinking about geography i'd imagine a flight JFK->TLV probably goes right through France. Maybe you'd get a few extra miles, but presumably not enough to warrant a stop.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:19 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by injera
I guess my question is, is does stopping in CDG really add much distance to the trip? Just thinking about geography i'd imagine a flight JFK->TLV probably goes right through France. Maybe you'd get a few extra miles, but presumably not enough to warrant a stop.
As a rule stopping is almost always going to be a least a little bit farther than a direct flight, but this does seem to be one case where the stop is not worth it:

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=j...YLE=&ETOPS=180
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:39 am

Hi WhiskeyBravo,

Thanks!
What gcmap shows you is equivalent to what Delta will show as "MQMs". If you are flying business, Delta will show MQMs = 1.5*gcmap.
The "base miles" refers to Delta's new system where the amount of award miles you receive is not based on distown flown, but USD spent on the ticket.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
What gcmap shows you is equivalent to what Delta will show as "MQMs". If you are flying business, Delta will show MQMs = 1.5*gcmap.
The "base miles" refers to Delta's new system where the amount of award miles you receive is not based on distown flown, but USD spent on the ticket.
OP is interested in MQMs. Because of the path of flight, TLV is not a place you can "add MQMs" to by making a Europe connection.

The only thing you can do is fly JFK-SVO-TLV for an extra 700 MQM. Both DL & Aeroflot flight JFK-Moscow so couple options
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
These are my rough estimates:

JFK-TLV-JFK on a discounted coach fare: 11354 MQMs

JFK-TLV-JFK on a Y/B fare: 17032 MQMs

JFK-CDG-TLV-CDG-JFK on a discounted coach fare: 11356 MQMs

JFK-CDG-TLV-CDG-JFK on a Y/B fare: 17036 MQMs

Happy to be corrected though!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bgriff
As a rule stopping is almost always going to be a least a little bit farther than a direct flight, but this does seem to be one case where the stop is not worth it:
SFO-DTW-LGA is actually fewer miles than SFO-JFK.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
SFO-DTW-LGA is actually fewer miles than SFO-JFK.
Different airports though. Per GC Map, routing JFK-DTW-SFO over JFK-SFO should net you a whole 1 mile extra (2587 vs. 2586).

But SEA-DTW versus SEA-MSP-DTW is an example where stopping adds nothing mileage wise.
SEA-DTW: 1927
SEA-MSP-DTW: 1927 (1399 + 528).

Of course, DL always uses slightly different distances (Example: I'm flying SEA-DTW and it shows as 1920 on delta.com, or 7 miles less than GC Map. I think Delta's cheating me out of MQMs. ).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Hi guys. This is all amazingly helpful.

If my calculations are correct, after tonight's return flight from TLV to JFK, I should be at 39,085, meaning the JFK-TLV-JFK in Novermber with its 11,354 MQMs should put me right where is need to be!

Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For TVL, you might be able to get a few extra miles by connecting through AMS using KLM. There might be a FCO connection on AZ to consider too. Are there legal routings such as NYC-BOS/ATL-CDG-TLV?

I often find a nice way to add a few hundred extra miles is to use a short leg that earns the minimum of 500 MQM rather than actual miles. The classic would be an ORD connection from MSP, with that leg getting 500 rather than about 338 miles IIRC. Another one would be RDU-ATL-XXX rather than RDU-XXX nonstop. If you can avoid small planes, PHL-NYC-YYY should be good too. However, do not assume that the 500 minimum applies to partner flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.