Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No medallion u/g when waitlisted for mileage/regional ug??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No medallion u/g when waitlisted for mileage/regional ug??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It says 'upgrade requested' and I also have duplicate seat map entries for the segments... one showing my C+ seat in the main cabin, and the other with first class map but a note 'Currently, you may only view seats for this flight'.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
DL has always had a screwy policy on mileage UG's - esp within 24 hours.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Is there any consensus on the best strategy on waitlisting RUCs for long flights other than the JFK transcons?

I think it is clear for JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. If you don't clear at booking then the waitist makes sense as there are no Medallion Upgrades (i.e. Free RU inventory) for anyone.

I have booked BOS-LAX nonstop and SLC-BOS nonstop for dates in November and neither has RP inventory at this time.

I waitlisted both as I would be happy for a confirmed upgrade prior to the Window which would burn a RUC. I doubt the RP inventory will open for these Monday and Thursday heavy business travel days. But who knows?

But should I call to remove the RUC at T-6 or 7 days when RU inventory on these may open? If I received the Medallion RU upgrade at the Diamond window would the RUC be closed because I was on the RP waitlist? Would I be at the top of the list for RU at the window if I am on the RP waitlist. I would not think so but that is what would happen if no RU inventory is released in advance and I need to use the RUC to move to the top of the list at the gate. I believe in that case I actually end up flying RP rather than RU if I get the gate upgrade.

I would not mind removing the RUC at T-6 or 7 days and calling again at T-75-90 minutes to reapply it if necessary to get to or near the top of the gate upgrade list. Then I would not have to needlessly burn a RUC when I might get a free RU upgrade.

This is as clear as mud. I read thru several of the threads on RUCs and can't seem to determine if there is a clear consensus on the best strategy for RUCs when they don't clear immediately.

Thanks for any further thoughts on this topic.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Yes, I think the best strategy would be to remove it 7 days in advance if it has not cleared so that you can put yourself on the medallion upgrade WL.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If done properly, you should be on both lists without having to remove/re-do things.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
How does one know if it is done properly?

After waitlisting the RUC flights now say "Upgrade Requested" instead of "Medallion Upgrade Requested" and two seat maps are also shown.

Does "Upgrade Requested" mean both a cert upgrade and a medallion upgrade are requested? Or do you have to call to ask?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds correct to me... my recent experience had it displayed as 'upgrade requested' with 2 seat maps. You can use DLAssist to ask/confirm that you you have both medallion upgrade requested and the RUC waitlisted, otherwise you'd have to call but it sounds right.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by rylan
If done properly, you should be on both lists without having to remove/re-do things.
But it's in Delta's interest to upgrade via the RUC rather than provide a free medallion upgrade, so that might be one part of IT they get right.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Apologies, I was confusing this with the mileage upgrade info that I had posted earlier in the thread. Yes, it appears that you can be on both. Rylan, you had also stated in a post that you were informed that if the upgrade does not clear in advance, that one might need to call in to get the priority correct. I assume this means that RUC's should be above all medallion upgrades but that they might not be property coded, is that right?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Rylan, you had also stated in a post that you were informed that if the upgrade does not clear in advance, that one might need to call in to get the priority correct. I assume this means that RUC's should be above all medallion upgrades but that they might not be property coded, is that right?
Yes, they are (often) not coded properly so they don't transfer to the airport upgrade list with the proper higher priority above the normal medallion upgrades. I've had good luck with DLAssist entering them correctly ahead of time so I don't have to call by providing them the cert number and redemption code to enter in the PNR record coding. In my case, I was #1 on the list and remained there, so it should be pretty obvious if its not coded right when you see yourself falling off one of the top couple spots.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
New point of information: I was just informed by two different reps that Delta no longer allows mileage upgrade requests to be waitlisted---you need to call in and request and if they are not available, call back and try again the next day. Furthermore--not all agents are aware of this, SO, if an agent tries to waitlist this, they will be able to--sort of. However, it will not actually get processed and it will cause a problem with the ticket. SO: it is important to NOT request to be wait-listed for mileage upgrades and we now have the very annoying process of calling in all of the time to check.
I don't know if this is true..

Last week (6 days out) I called into DM line and had a mileage upgrade request for LAX-JFK (flew yesterday night 8/30). She said there wasn't available space but I could be waitlisted.. T-4 days, the miles were withdrawn and my upgrade was sealed Delta ONE check-in was a nice treat too.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I don't know if this is true..

Last week (6 days out) I called into DM line and had a mileage upgrade request for LAX-JFK (flew yesterday night 8/30). She said there wasn't available space but I could be waitlisted.. T-4 days, the miles were withdrawn and my upgrade was sealed Delta ONE check-in was a nice treat too.
Strange. And a good sign. I thought it was really odd when I was told that....though I was informed of this by 3 separate agents. Maybe there was a temporary issue that had to deal with some IT change that is now fixed? Maybe the transcon route is an exception? Maybe DM's have an exception?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:59 am
Original Poster

I just tweeted Delta Assist, here is the response that I got:

"If upgrade space is not available at the time of request, the member may be allowed to waitlist on the same flight they are holding a confirmed ticket on Delta operated flights only. Waitlist is not allowed for AF and/or KLM operated flights. My apology for the confusion. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. "

If it had just been one agent that told me this I would not really think twice about it and just assume that s/he had it wrong, but the fact that three different people told me that was/is concerning. I am inclined to believe Delta Assist but who knows.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK you can waitlist for an upgrade on DL operated flights only whether using miles of GUCs/RUCs/SWUs to support the upgrade. Upgrades with miles officially cannot be processed on the day of departure, so those officially don't go to the gate upgrade list. However, some GAs will process upgrades with miles if they know how and there's time so YMMV.

For partner upgrades (AF/KLM using miles/GUCs/SWUs and the SkyMiles upgrade award program from full Y fares on participating SkyTeam member carriers), AFAIK you can never waitlist so you must keep checking for availability and officially it must clear by some time before departure, IIRC T-48, but YMMV.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Does anybody know if I can waitlist (upgrade award, or RUC) when flight is on DL metal but I'm ticketed on a partner airline ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.