Search

Using 3 Accounts for 2 Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VA
Using 3 Accounts for 2 Flights?

Hi,

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I have tried searching without success.

My family each have a Skymiles account with around 10,500 skymiles in each. Next year, we are planning to fly up from MCO or TPA to New York, which needs approx 12,000 miles each.

Is it possible to use the miles from all three accounts to book two flights and pay for the third, or is there an option to use the 10,500 miles and pay a supplement to make up for the remaining 2,000 miles per flight? I guess the final option would be to "gift" the miles over to one account, but trying to avoid, if possible, any unnecessary charges!!

Many thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
You can't use more than one account to provide the miles for 1 ticket. You'll either have to pay to transfer miles or buy miles.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:27 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Using the first week on Nov for test dates, it looks like the cheapest one way fare from either TPA or MCO to NYC is $98~108. You're probably better off buying tix than bothering with mileage transfer fees or fees to buy miles. Save your miles for tickets that are worth more. Delta miles don't expire (at the moment).
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VA
Thanks for confirming. I did do a quick search for Delta flights next year, and as Dave notes, it is possible to buy tickets for around the $100 mark. However, I suspect that we probably won't be flying Delta all that frequently, so it looks as if a transfer of 2,000 miles from one account to each of the other two for $40, plus pay for one flight may be the cheapest way of doing it.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tonymc
However, I suspect that we probably won't be flying Delta all that frequently
Delta has many partners with SkyTeam, and others. Air France, KLM, Alitalia, to name a few. The earnings can be a little tricky with partners, but could still top off your accounts.

Delta's airline partners:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../airlines.html
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by tonymc
Thanks for confirming. I did do a quick search for Delta flights next year, and as Dave notes, it is possible to buy tickets for around the $100 mark. However, I suspect that we probably won't be flying Delta all that frequently, so it looks as if a transfer of 2,000 miles from one account to each of the other two for $40, plus pay for one flight may be the cheapest way of doing it.

Thanks again for the replies.
Keep in mind there is a transfer fee as well, so it will be $70, not $40.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.