Wiki Posts
Search

Geographic route

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Geographic route

On a DTW-NRT flight, has anyone been on a flight that went north of Alaska and over Kamchatka (far eastern Russia)? The pilot said we would be leaving DTW and going right over Sault Ste. Marie, which would make sense on that routing. The electronic map on the plane was consistent the whole way with that route.

This was my first trans-pac flight since 1990 and flying over Kamchatka would have been out of the question at that time.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Dalewood
On a DTW-NRT flight, has anyone been on a flight that went north of Alaska and over Kamchatka (far eastern Russia)? The pilot said we would be leaving DTW and going right over Sault Ste. Marie, which would make sense on that routing. The electronic map on the plane was consistent the whole way with that route.

This was my first trans-pac flight since 1990 and flying over Kamchatka would have been out of the question at that time.
AA DFW-HKG tends to take the polar route most of the time. There is a pretty big corridor there for air traffic but I am sure the emergency alternate airport routes get a bit complicated.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...745Z/KDFW/VHHH
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Dalewood

Yes, I've gone that way on quite a few TPACs...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Yes, I've gone that way on quite a few TPACs...
When I lived in ORD, I flew a lot of polar routes to HKG/NRT. It depends a lot on the winds/weather/temperatures along the route of flight. If it's too cold I've heard rumors the fuel can freeze...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 4MM; HHonors Diamond
Flew that route going to ICN as well. Not all that uncommon.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Yes the fall of the Soviet Union resulted in amongst other things opening up of Siberian airspace thank goodness.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've flown the polar route a number of times on TPAC to/from MSP--although some folks would consider MSP itself to be polar. More interestingly, I once flew straight east on a NRT-MSP flight. The explanation was that the winds that day made not flying north the most fuel efficient route.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've flown the polar route a number of times on TPAC to/from MSP--although some folks would consider MSP itself to be polar. More interestingly, I once flew straight east on a NRT-MSP flight. The explanation was that the winds that day made not flying north the most fuel efficient route.
I once did JFK-NRT due west; flight clocked in at over 16 hours. (Yes, I was in Y!)

There was a volcanic eruption in Russia that precluded us from going polar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.