Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pilot's Contract Vote Wraps Up This Week

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:44 am
Original Poster

There's been very sparse media coverage of the DL pilot's contract.

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/del...or-deal/nmjqy/

If you look online this is a pretty contentious issue for the work group. http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/delta-ta/

If this was not to pass there could be some side effects for customers. From what I could pick up that we as customers would care about:

- DL indicates the E190/195s would be in jeopardy. (Though some point DL doesn't have to have a brand new contract to do it and could add the planes with other methods.)

- DL has been out of compliance with their TATL JVs for sometime. New contract restructures the calculation to look at flights flown instead of seats flown (i.e. under the new rules an AF A380 would have parity with a DL 757). This could mean smaller planes for TATL without worrying about making the union whole.

- Concerns around language changes DL wanted that could lead to foreign carriers painted in DL liveries under the right circumstances.

There's a ton of other issues the pilots have with the contract but these are the points I thought were most interesting the customer.

Voting ends on the 10th. We should know what the fall out will be shortly after.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by motytrah
Voting ends on the 10th. We should know what the fall out will be shortly after.
DL once again has the misfortune to be negotiating a pilot's contract at the top of the business cycle.

I'm frankly baffled as to why DL traded profit sharing for raises, but perhaps that is what DALPA wanted.

At the end of the day, I expect the TA will pass. Those who like it are keeping quiet, and those opposed are vigorously exercising their First Amendment rights.

David
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:46 pm

I was very happy to get my profit sharing check last February.
However, it did make it harder to get my mortgage. Banks don't like using "bonus" money to qualify you.

It does give DL cost certainty and more security for the pilots.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DiverDave
DL once again has the misfortune to be negotiating a pilot's contract at the top of the business cycle.

I'm frankly baffled as to why DL traded profit sharing for raises, but perhaps that is what DALPA wanted.

At the end of the day, I expect the TA will pass. Those who like it are keeping quiet, and those opposed are vigorously exercising their First Amendment rights.

David
the majority of pilots didn't want the profit sharing touched. I'm not so confident it will pass. If it does, it will be by an extremely small margin imho.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

Misfortune? DL management chose to do this in advance of the amendable date.

Contrast that with Southwest being past the amendable on five union contracts, with some of those now in mediation. Several major groups have awaited 'new' contracts now nearly three years past their amendable dates.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

David
Wall street really wanted the profit sharing paired back. DL did quite well with the deal. Taking into account inflation they are still paying them less than they made pre-BK DL. And really, let's say the balance sheet gets bad for DL? They'll just go back to the Union hat in hand saying they need them to take a haircut.

I think it will pass too. Sure, most of the bases to the North are irked, but the boys in ATL are good about doing what their told.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.