Wiki Posts
Search

Disagreement with SC attendant.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
Disagreement with SC attendant.

An interesting experience I thought I would share.

3 weeks ago I was in the B25 SC and was going to get a cup of the “Wicked Thai Rice Soup” they have. Great stuff. They didn’t have any of the taller bowls there (they had the 2.5 inch tall green ones) so I asked one of the attendants if they had the larger size bowls available. She smiled and looked under the counter and found a whole sleeve and gave me one, setting a few others out on the counter. So I had just put the last scoop of soup in my bowl/cup about 85% full, when another attendant comes by, points to me and tells me that I’m not supposed to use “those” cups. I was like “uh, what?” She reiterated that I have to use the smaller bowls. “But I’ve already got this one filled”. Her reply, “You have to use the smaller ones” (sic). She was very adamant and somewhat aggressive which took be back a bit.

I was a little irritated being (what I believed) yelled at for something as simple as using the cups that I have used for the past 5 trips. I transferred my larger bowl into 2 smaller bowls while attendant B informed attendant A that she shouldn’t have given me a larger cup. When I was done, I dropped the other used cup onto the counter and it made an audible “pock”. Attendant B, walked off speaking to herself “I know he wasn’t throwing that at me!”. I was like ...? I wrote it off to her having a bad day or something and went to my corner to eat my soup and catch up on my email.

15 minutes later, a guy in a suit, and a red jacket came over to me, asking me if I was in an altercation with an employee. I explained the situation, and the guy in the suit (a supervisor I found out later) says the employee accused me of throwing soup on her. I was incredulous. I said there was no way that could have happened as she described , and to ask the lady (attendant A) that gave me the cup, as she was there and witnessed the event. They scanned my boarding pass <gulp>, and thanked me for the information.

I saw them walk down the steps with attendant A I suppose to get her perspective.

I was genuinely concerned that I may lose my SC access for something someone accused me of that didn’t happen. True, I was more than a little displeased, and I’m sure it showed on my face, but dropping an empty cup 3 inches and making a pocking noise hardly warrants any action against me. I didn’t say a word to her afterwards, other than perhaps shaking my head and rolling my eyes. But you never know how a situation will be handled by the airline.

15 to 20 minutes later, attendant A came by to apologize, and I told her she had nothing to apologize for, and that I was sorry for putting her in this mess, I should have just used the cups that were out there. I asked her if her colleague got hit with any soup, as I couldn’t believe that it was possible, and she rolled her eyes and said no. She was very nice, and each time I’m in B25, I tell her hi and ask how she’s doing. Last time, I gave her one of those cards they give you to thank an employee. She didn’t know what it was, like I was handing her a bill or something, but she came back after giving it to her supervisor and she was very excited. Her reaction made my day.

In retrospect, I can only theorize that attendant B lodged a complaint in the event I filed a complaint, which I was never planning on doing.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:36 am

No soup for you!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The Soup Nazi moved in to the ATL SC?

But yes that is pretty absurd for the agent to pull crap like that.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by jeffjohnvol
n retrospect, I can only theorize that attendant B lodged a complaint in the event I filed a complaint, which I was never planning on doing.
Or setting up a hostile work environment/permanent disability for being burned by scalding soup lawsuit.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Attendant B must have worked at a DMV previously....
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Attendant B must have worked at a DMV previously....
Her attitude definitely was similar.

If she had said something to the effect, "sorry sir, we've been told to ask the customers to use the smaller cups because of <reason>." I would have understood and have complied with a smile, but the way she approached it was just rude. I'm a big believer of treating people the way you want to be treated (which I probably violated with my reaction), but there was no reason for the way she handled it, IMO.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Or setting up a hostile work environment/permanent disability for being burned by scalding soup lawsuit.
And if you want to get really paranoid, I was in the same SC last night while Attendant B was working, and there was a supervisor and an Atlanta cop standing in the corner that I didn't notice when I got there, but half way through my stay I did notice. I assumed it was for heightened security for the holiday (just like TSA pre was shut down that day at my airport), but a little voice in my head was like "....are they there because of me.......?" It was just a thought, I didn't really consider it likely.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jeffjohnvol
....are they there because of me.......?" It was just a thought, I didn't really consider it likely.
I really doubt it.

But it's super annoying when people get on power trips. Also, this goes back to another thread that I started: how about real bowls???

On the other hand, I don't think the soup is really intended for us to be taking large quantities, it's more of snack.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
A vote here for using the larger paper cups to consume soup. I do that more often than not.

I have even ladled soup into, gasp, coffee mugs with nary a reaction from staff.

I have not been through ATL in some time tho'. Did not know they had a soup shortage there.

Jim

Last edited by jimquan; Jul 6, 2015 at 10:49 pm Reason: speling
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Soup gamers all of you. It makes sense though...with ham sandwiches soup is a great addition.

STOP THIS SOUP ENTITLEMENT MENTALITY!

WSBS!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: delta dm
Im for sure asking for the big bowl next time in b 25 sc if im foced to go in there due to time constraints..... i think that is also the skyclub where the bartender gets all pissed off if you order a drink even though ITS HIS JOB
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dzflyer
Im for sure asking for the big bowl next time in b 25 sc if im foced to go in there due to time constraints..... i think that is also the skyclub where the bartender gets all pissed off if you order a drink even though ITS HIS JOB
Two I've gotten drinks from, M------ and B---- (not sure if mentioning names is a violation of anything) have both been pleasant. I've never experienced that there at B25-SC.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Do you tip? I've never experienced a rude bar tender at a SC, they are always really nice to me.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
In the BOS A7 SC right now with a small cup of Thai wild rice and chicken soup which is quite yummy. They put out small cups for both the soup and popcorn.

Definitely going back for seconds.

Perhaps ATL attendant B was protecting the Thai soup supply ... a 'more for me' mentality?

Jim
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Do you tip? I've never experienced a rude bar tender at a SC, they are always really nice to me.
Always tip....but i will not if u think its chore to get me a drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.