Wiki Posts
Search

Where is my FCM offer?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL exDM MM
Where is my FCM offer?

Just bought a RT ticket MCO-ATL-MCO mid-July at DL.com. Was offered to UG to F for $108. From past experience I noted the offer and then purchased the coach ticket. Went back into the trip to chose seats. No UG offer! In the past there has always been an UG Offer every time I log in and go to the flight. Sometimes it was better than the original offer. Sometimes the same. But now, no offer.

What's up?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
dynamic pricing ... there was only one FC seat available for purchase at a discount, and someone else got it first

"timing is everything" :-/
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
I was just asking myself the same thing. I am flying the return of my MSP-BOS-MSP on tuesday and i want to buy up....but no offer!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jrl767
dynamic pricing ... there was only one FC seat available for purchase at a discount, and someone else got it first

"timing is everything" :-/
Maybe, maybe not. The website doesn't always show an offer. Call in and talk to a rep and see what the buy up is.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Well Im wondering the same thing on a Transcon with D1 - that looks 50% full currently - where's my FCM? #anxiouslywaiting
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by JHIN
Well Im wondering the same thing on a Transcon with D1 - that looks 50% full currently - where's my FCM? #anxiouslywaiting
I had a AMEX reserve companion cert expiring and was able to buy 2 JFK-SFO in D1 for late July at $1250 all in. D1 for 625 a person was a no brainer It looked like it was pricing all transcons at that price at the time. I am sure there are many that took advantage of the pricing.

Looking now there are still some flights pricing out at that price.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Happened to me today as well. Buy-up offer during booking was $79/7,900 miles. After booking, no offer.

Also weird: When I selected my seat during purchase, there were about 7 premium seats left, zero C+, and only about 15 or 20 plain ol' Y seats available in rows 22-24 only (A320).

I clicked thru to seat assignments just now to see if the FCM was there (which it wasn't), and lo and behold - same equip, but all of Y is well less that 50 percent seat assigned, 13 prem seats open, and 15 of 18 C+s are light blue (and, no, I'm not buying up for $29 for a 1:50 blocktime flight, thank you).

Really screwy. It didn't occur to me to take a screenshot of the earlier seatmap.

Edit: I did notice that after I booked my Y seat, the F fare increased when Y did (I got the last L-fare seat, offering is now K in coach). So there may be interplay between Y buckets and buy-up offers??

Last edited by RaflW; Jul 4, 2015 at 4:20 pm
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by RaflW
Happened to me today as well. Buy-up offer during booking was $79/7,900 miles. After booking, no offer.

Also weird: When I selected my seat during purchase, there were about 7 premium seats left, zero C+, and only about 15 or 20 plain ol' Y seats available in rows 22-24 only (A320).

I clicked thru to seat assignments just now to see if the FCM was there (which it wasn't), and lo and behold - same equip, but all of Y is well less that 50 percent seat assigned, 13 prem seats open, and 15 of 18 C+s are light blue (and, no, I'm not buying up for $29 for a 1:50 blocktime flight, thank you).

Really screwy. It didn't occur to me to take a screenshot of the earlier seatmap.
You think this is a coincidence?

Edit: I did notice that after I booked my Y seat, the F fare increased when Y did (I got the last L-fare seat, offering is now K in coach). So there may be interplay between Y buckets and buy-up offers??
FCM fares are all (with very rare exceptions) coach fares with an instant upgrade. So yes, if you buy the last coach seat in a particular fare class, not only is that coach fare now unavailable, but it also can no longer form the basis for an UP fare, making First Class more expensive also.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
You think this is a coincidence?

FCM fares are all (with very rare exceptions) coach fares with an instant upgrade. So yes, if you buy the last coach seat in a particular fare class, not only is that coach fare now unavailable, but it also can no longer form the basis for an UP fare, making First Class more expensive also.
It's disturbing that DL would display a *fraudulent* seat map during the purchase process. This is very different from graying out C+ or preferred coach seats if one has a FC ticket or conversely not showing FC seat maps to people confirmed in coach on the flight without those customers doing a separate dummy booking from scratch, although I would think tha tDL would want to implement such features in their IT so as to avoid forcing (or even discouraging by providing easily alternatives) customers from doing additional dummy bookings to get public information about their flights.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's disturbing that DL would display a *fraudulent* seat map during the purchase process. This is very different from graying out C+ or preferred coach seats if one has a FC ticket or conversely not showing FC seat maps to people confirmed in coach on the flight without those customers doing a separate dummy booking from scratch, although I would think that DL would want to implement such features in their IT so as to avoid forcing (or even discouraging by providing easily alternatives) customers from doing additional dummy bookings to get public information about their flights.
At the moment I'm inclined to think it was an IT screw-up. I have maybe two more DL trips for Nov/Dec that I'll shop about Sept. If I do book DL for those, I'll try to remember to take a screenshot of the seatmap as I shop and then compare to after purchase. If it happens some more, it'll be thinking DL shenanigans.

Related to your second point, I've *sort of* gotten used to this new annoying thing of having to click on the "buy-up to F" during booking, to see Y exit row availability that is otherwise obscured, and then clicking to decline the up to complete my purchase at least knowing I'll not be in a 30" pitch middle seat.

Are others having this issue?? I find it childishly stupid of DL IT to hide the available exit row seats from an FO during flight shopping (and yes, I'm shopping logged in, so I'm eligible for the exit row seats). I have to do these damn dummy bookings or click-thru FCM, and then decline, to know if I can have a tolerable seat before I plunk down my money.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
FWIW

I checked the "My Trips" section on delta for a full week before a flight last month. Some days the FCM offer was there, others it wasn't, double the original offer one day, back down to original offer the other.

Didn't bite on any of them. Upgraded both ways.

Dynamic/behavioral model pricing seems to be in effect.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At the moment I'm inclined to think it was an IT screw-up. I have maybe two more DL trips for Nov/Dec that I'll shop about Sept. If I do book DL for those, I'll try to remember to take a screenshot of the seatmap as I shop and then compare to after purchase. If it happens some more, it'll be thinking DL shenanigans.

Related to your second point, I've *sort of* gotten used to this new annoying thing of having to click on the "buy-up to F" during booking, to see Y exit row availability that is otherwise obscured, and then clicking to decline the up to complete my purchase at least knowing I'll not be in a 30" pitch middle seat.

Are others having this issue?? I find it childishly stupid of DL IT to hide the available exit row seats from an FO during flight shopping (and yes, I'm shopping logged in, so I'm eligible for the exit row seats). I have to do these damn dummy bookings or click-thru FCM, and then decline, to know if I can have a tolerable seat before I plunk down my money.
Doesn't everyone first search without logging in to check prices before buying a ticket from delta.dumb?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't everyone first search without logging in to check prices before buying a ticket from delta.dumb?
I have no idea. But that's also not what I'm saying is the issue I'm experiencing. When I am logged in (as FO), I can't see any exit row seat availability on any DL flights on DL's website unless I either: search as if I'm buying F, or in a Y search, after I click well into the purchase process.

I am asking if others are having that issue - tho this may not be the thread to ask that question...
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no idea. But that's also not what I'm saying is the issue I'm experiencing. When I am logged in (as FO), I can't see any exit row seat availability on any DL flights on DL's website unless I either: search as if I'm buying F, or in a Y search, after I click well into the purchase process.

I am asking if others are having that issue - tho this may not be the thread to ask that question...
Exit/Preferred seats are shown after you have selected flights and entered customer info (if you are logged in, it will fill this in for you). There are already about half a dozen threads discussing this over the last 6 months or so.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Has anyone ever received a buy-up offer on an award ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.