Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Which airline do we need to file a compensation request with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

We had delta tickets from flight from lax to venice through atlanta. Our first flight out of lax got delayed due to mechanical problems, so we were missing our connection. After spending an hour with delta, they put us on their partner airline airfrance for a flight leaving almost 5 hours after our original departure and getting to venice about 4 hour later. This flight was from lax to cdg to vcn.

Just when we were about to start, there was cancellation announcement due to mechanical issue and the flight was cancelled all together. We were put on us airways flight next day (now total 24 hours delay). Airport hotels were all packed so they politely asked us to find a hotel ourselves, which we did.

Now that our trip is over - I would like to write to the airline, get hotel cost + some compensation for our 24.5 hour delay. My question is - which airline do we go to?

thanks so much!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Delta of course. They were the original carrier.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

well, i read somewhere that the complaint needs to filed against the airline that's actually flying you. in our case, the airline that caused the biggest interruption was AF. Had AF flight taken off, our delay would have been only 5 hours.

I didn't want to ask this question to airline knowing they will point to the other airline..hence asking here
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by meghuji

Just when we were about to start, there was cancellation announcement due to mechanical issue and the flight was cancelled all together. We were put on us airways flight next day (now total 24 hours delay). Airport hotels were all packed so they politely asked us to find a hotel ourselves, which we did.
Was it AF or DL that put you on the flight the next day? If it was AF, did you try getting ahold of DL to see if they could do better?

The initial problem was created by Delta, but they are probably going to beg off if AF subsequently caused you to have to overnight.

AF defiantly should compensate you for an overnight caused by a mechanical issue on their flight.

This might be an instance where you can turn the tables on them. Complain to both.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:27 am
Original Poster

When our AF flight was cancelled, we talked to both AF and DL. We had to pick up our bags and then walk from one counter to another while also trying to get a hold of someone over phone. Nobody was able to get us to venice sooner as it was already late afternoon and there are not many options for evening. It was delta counter that helped up get the next flight booked.

The worst part was that they were not even able to book a hotel room for us so we had to spend time doing that as well after getting flight booked for the next day.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by houserulz77
Complain to both.
I was thinking the exact same thing as you, in that, the hotel fee should be paid by AF, and Delta would likely give you some courtesy miles as a customer service gesture . . . . but, BUT, BUT . . . .

Whenever you complain to AF in the USA, it's routed to Delta, anyway, since DL handles AF "stuff" in the USA. I don't know if it would somehow be cross referenced or not.

I had a bag that was delayed 3 days flying DL-USA/CDG then CDG/TXL on AF. I filed a claim for around $140~ish with AF for necessities. When the check came, it was from Delta.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by meghuji
When our AF flight was cancelled, we talked to both AF and DL. We had to pick up our bags and then walk from one counter to another while also trying to get a hold of someone over phone. Nobody was able to get us to venice sooner as it was already late afternoon and there are not many options for evening. It was delta counter that helped up get the next flight booked.

The worst part was that they were not even able to book a hotel room for us so we had to spend time doing that as well after getting flight booked for the next day.
Given this, I'd talk to Delta. You had reservations with them and they are the ones that (on the second attempt) rebooked you. If the original delay was mechanical, you should definatly expect to be compensated for hotel and related expenses.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I would think that the OP could file with with Air France for EU 261.

Personally, though, I think both airlines messed up. I'd file separately with each.

Mike
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My instinct would be to approach AF since you were confirmed onto their flight, checked in, etc. Hence EC261 rules should apply as AF is a EC airline. (On DL, only the flight FROM Europe to the USA would fall under the EC216 regulations.) As I see it, AF should have provided the hotel an meal vouchers as well as information on making an EU261 claim. In addition they owe you 600 Euros per person (in money not a credit toward future travel on AF) for getting you to your destination so much later than you would have if the AF flight had not been cancelled.

In addition, DL will probably give you some miles as a customer service gesture.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by houserulz77
Given this, I'd talk to Delta. You had reservations with them and they are the ones that (on the second attempt) rebooked you. If the original delay was mechanical, you should definatly expect to be compensated for hotel and related expenses.
Why didn't AF rebook the OP? It was AF that cancelled the (second) flight so it should have been their responsibility, although I can understand that it might have been faster to have DL take care of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.