Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the FC Pre-Flight service dead?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
On a Delta flight last year in FC, I arrived during zone 2 boarding, I politely asked for my beverage of choice as I passed the galley. The FA acknowledged and asked which seat I was in and fought her way through zone 3 boarding to bring it to me! Guess who received a JWD cert.? Ask nicely if not offered. If time allows most will accommodate.
JWD for bringing you a PDB ?? Mind blown....
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stewie7669
So sitting on DL2399 in F right now.

No one in F has been offered any beverage. Nothing. The stewardesses are chatting with each other about other flights, boyfriends, a broken car, etc. Only greeted every 10th passenger or so because they were so busy with personal chit-chat.

The plane was not late arriving, the flight crew was not late getting on the plane. In fact boarding commenced exactly on time.

Do I assume:

1. Delta is killing off the pre-flight service?
2. Stewardesses are ex-NWA and still pretending they're unionized and don't feel they HAVE to serve FC pax?
3. Maybe I'm missing they have a super top secret weather report that we will be insanely buffeted by wind on our taxi and they just want to make sure nobody spills anything
4. They only care about serving pax going to "important" cities
5. They are just lazy and using anything as an excuse to not have to serve.

As I write this... They finally stopped talking amongst themselves, but still haven't offered anyone in FC anything.

I'm afraid to ask since one of them might go to the captain, call me disruptive (to their social cackling) and have me removed from the flight--for having dare questioned their actions. You can't say ANYTHING to a FA anymore without them diverting the plane and calling in the Gestapo to take you away in handcuffs (out of an "abundance of caution" of course---GAG!!!)

I'm with you on this. Took two paid F tickets today and neither had pre drink service. Despite neither being delayed or late. Seems like Delta isn't enforcing this at all lately.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I had PDBs on two different Delta Connection carriers today: Shuttle America E-175 DFW-CVG, and Endeavor Air CRJ-900 CVG-DCA. Both really pleasant flights with good FAs.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bstndance
I've seen PDBs on most flights unless catering is late.
Traveler tip: handing your jacket to the FA on a 737-900 is useless as the closet is in the back of first class and the jacket may end up folded over something in the galley until the aisle is clear.
Also, any FA that lets a passenger possess a PDB during taxi is risking their job if the FAA is on board. (FAR 121.577)
Shortened for the good of the order!!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdix
... almond packets handed out...
Packets? In a First?? Where is Heather Cho when you need her?!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I think the OP just got a one-off bad f/a. I haven't had a DL flight in F without a PDB (at least a dozen flights in a row over the last couple of years) in a long time.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by bstndance
I've seen PDBs on most flights unless catering is late.
Traveler tip: handing your jacket to the FA on a 737-900 is useless as the closet is in the back of first class and the jacket may end up folded over something in the galley until the aisle is clear.
Also, any FA that lets a passenger possess a PDB during taxi is risking their job if the FAA is on board. (FAR 121.577)
I never knew the rule was that specific. According to 121.577(a), it says:
No certificate holder may move an airplane on the surface, take off, or land when any food, beverage, or tableware furnished by the certificate holder is located at any passenger seat.
Many times I and other passengers have had our plastic cups (whether full or just the ice after drinking my beverage) until we're holding short of the runway. And what about the water bottles? I know many people don't touch them and throw them in the pocket in front of them, overheads, or whatever. But many times they are left on the center armrest (I can only think of a handful of times where an FA actually collected them before takeoff, but even then it was while taxiing).
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by QueerEyeForDelta
Packets? In a First?? Where is Heather Cho when you need her?!
She's been a lil busy, being in jail. She just got out late May http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7421074.html
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by kmersh
With regards to Strategy 2, I am less comfortable with that one as I personally lack the finesse sometimes in my speech and would not want to run the risk of causing issues between me and the Flight Attendants possibly resulting in unwanted negative attention. My Wife has warned me that even though I am not meaning to sound "dickish", I have the potential, so I find that being as friendly and cordial as possible is the best outcome for me.
+1 on wife assessment.

So I simply try not to act like myself when forced to be cordial. I try to act more like her...unnecessary cordiality. Seems to work
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Seems to be an issue elsewhere too... a whole thread on PDBs, or lack thereof () over on the AA forum:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Seems to be a "lost art" (very sadly IMO!) in the airline industry these days. Service seems to be heading downhill everywhere.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Seems to be an issue elsewhere too... a whole thread on PDBs, or lack thereof () over on the AA forum:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Seems to be a "lost art" (very sadly IMO!) in the airline industry these days. Service seems to be heading downhill everywhere.
But not on US. I hope AA learns this from US. I am 100% on US FC flights and I have been on LOTS this year. In fact I tend to pound the first one pretty quick and I usually have another without asking delivered with a wink...
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
But not on US. I hope AA learns this from US. I am 100% on US FC flights and I have been on LOTS this year. In fact I tend to pound the first one pretty quick and I usually have another without asking delivered with a wink...
My last flight on AA, (paid F, LHR-LAX), the FA came around with the tray, I asked for 5 because I was having a tough day . I took one and lo and behold she scooted back five minutes later with my own tray full of drinks....
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by burbanite
My last flight on AA, (paid F, LHR-LAX), the FA came around with the tray, I asked for 5 because I was having a tough day . I took one and lo and behold she scooted back five minutes later with my own tray full of drinks....
If you paid for F LHR-LAX you deserve whatever you want...
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
FA went out of his way to serve drinks

On FL878 MCO-LGA Thursday, the FA managed to serve us as the plane was boarded. He would take a row of orders, prepare the drinks and then hold up the passengers so he could serve that row (as you know the boarding gets so backed up that it didn't slow the progress. This was with us running late (due to incoming plane) and we were eventually 12 minutes late.

Off topic, but when we got to gate it was close to boarding and since we were in the bulkhead, we got in the priority lane. There was one gentlemen ahead of us and I noticed that he had 2 personal items besides his roller bag. The GA made her announcement about one carry on and one personal item, etc. He paid no attention to the announcement. When premium boarded he went to one side and we went to the other. As my boarding pass was getting scanned, I heard the GA tell him that only one personal item was permitted and that he had to combine them. He was pissed and seemed to not believe it was happening, but she sent him off to the side as I continued down to the plane.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold
0 for 2 this past weekend DTW-PVD-DTW, both at least semi-excusable.

On the outbound flight, catering arrived five minutes before scheduled departure, and an FA went through the F cabin apologizing for the lack of PDBs. On the return, late arrival of the inbound flight turned a scheduled 37 minute turn into 22 minutes. As it happened, we still didn't make the scheduled departure, and a 15 minute ground hold from ATC meant we were around 45 minutes late at wheels-up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.